By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The state of XBOX: Uncharted Collection outselling Halo 5

Tagged games:

While I am a Nintendo fan and not an Xbox person, I don't think Xbox fans should be too down on Halo 5's sales. Every franchise goes through the phase where it needs new ideas and I am sure that Halo 6 will get a big makeover because of the poor sales of Halo 5. It would be unnatural and unhealthy for the Halo series if every entry sold insane copies even if the storytelling and gameplay is getting stale. Poor sales are a wake-up call for the developer to bring in new ideas and/or go back to a series' roots and I am sure a company like Microsoft is going to be doing a little of both with the next installment.

Take Super Mario Sunshine, as an example. That game was a bit of a letdown for us Nintendo fans and I think it would have been reasonable for fans to speculate back in 2002 that the 3D Mario platforming series was on its way out. It turned out to be the contrary, though, because Nintendo took the failure that was Sunshine and made Super Mario Galaxy which is one of the greatest Mario games ever made. I suspect the story will be similar for Halo, people just need to relax and give it time.

Around the Network
CosmicSex said:
potato_hamster said:

Again, look at all the other Halo games that sold much better on a lower install base. Look at how Splatoon is selling better than Halo on an install base of 12 million. Install base is not a legitimate reason.

Userbase should be a non-factor when comparing an HD remake collection that many PS4 owners have already played to Microsoft's flagship exclusive title.

The OP brings up the fact that Uncharted passed Halo 5.  We are looking at this gen.   One assumes that Halo 5 would have had higher sales if it had a higher user base and this is not hard to grasp at all.   The series as a whole is surely not where it used to be,  and because of that, the userbase become a critical factor.   I think this is fair. 

Well that's the problem. It's an assumption. There are all kinds of games around Halo 5 that are selling just as well, if not better on a smaller install base than the X1 (the WIi U) and all kinds of games that are selling worse on the X1 than similar games sold on a smaller (at the time) install base did on the X360, and there are all kinds of games that are doing better on the PS4 than they did on the PS3 with an install base of over twice as big.

There are dozens and dozens of games both past and present that demonstrate that a console's install base can have little effect on a video game's sales. Yet here are, we're going to just assume that Halo 5's sales are down mostly because of the install base? Baloney.

Sorry, not buying it.

People can argue all they want about advantages and disadvantages.

Halo 5 sales were topped by a Remaster Collection.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:
People can argue all they want about advantages and disadvantages.

Halo 5 sales were topped by a Remaster Collection.

Halo 5 bundle was $499

UCC bundle was $299.

You can stop trolling at anytime, sir.  Its not a big deal.  Yes Halo is on the decline, we all know this.  

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Userbase.

Tell that to the original xbox vs ps2 where halo 1 sold a shitton on.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Around the Network
TheBlackNaruto said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Well if people had a choice to truly choose any game they wanted, most wouldn't have chose Uncharted. However, that was the bundle Sony was really pushing. Especially on Black Friday and that's a big reason Uncharted Collection has sold 3 million units.

Gears UE also got a big push via bundles as well. Not really worth boasting though because we know why its selling so much.

Its funny people even entertain the idea Uncharted bundles is equal to non-bundle sales.

The thing is they had a choice, get the BO3 bundle, the NDC bundle, the Star Wars bundle or the standalone. They didn't HAVE to buy the NDC bundle even though Sony was pushing it. But they did and that's fine that it sold 3 million with bundles same with that. It is fine Gears UE bundle sold well. They don't care that it was standalone or bundled they care about the fact that it sold. Again us forum dwellers are the only people who seem to gripe about a game being bundled or not. A lot of games have been bundled that did not sell well...why because people did not want those bundles.  Why we put SO MUCH emphasis on a game being bundled is beyond me. Not going at you or anything it just bugs me as to why people focus so much on a game being bundled or try to use it to take a knock at it's sales.

I don't believe the BO3 bundle went under $349. SW:BF Bundle was $299 for a period I believe, but it wasn't the Black Friday bundle. Hence, the Uncharted bundle was the one Sony really pushed.

Sorry, but bundle sales are not equal to non-bundle numbers.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

barneystinson69 said:

People are forgetting that just about all the sales came from a bundle. It was a standard PS4 bundle. As I said, it did 250k in the US for the whole year without them.

Really, that low without bundles? That just about confirms the logical conclusion about how important the bundle aspect was then, lol.

potato_hamster said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Idk why anyone would be surprised it sold well or that it's close to Halo.

Putting it in the cheap holiday bundle did amazing numbers for it. MS could have seen much better Halo numbers had they put it in a real bundle and not that $500 legendary junk bundle or whatever it was.

And that's before you take into account the massive userbase advantage PS4 has.

Again, look at all the other Halo games that sold much better on a lower install base. Look at how Splatoon is selling better than Halo on an install base of 12 million. Install base is not a legitimate reason.

Userbase should be a non-factor when comparing an HD remake collection that many PS4 owners have already played to Microsoft's flagship exclusive title.

Halo is never going to sell what it used to, the franchise is on the decline, and there are way way more quality shooters around. But that has nothing to do with the "state of Xbox". Nor is a game bundled with PS4's sold over the holidays outselling it a surprise, or any sort of statement of anything we didn't know already. The PS4 is much more popular than the Xbox One.

If the NDC had outsold Halo 5 without massive bundling, ok, then now you have a surprise. As is, it's like saying Wii Sports sold tens of millions of copies.

nevermind

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:

nevermind

That would have been a good time to post a hilarous gif or a joke

Like what some are saying it was bundles that was the cause for Uncharted Collection to "outsell" Halo 5. What more is that the Uncharted bundle is the main bundle for Sony's Black Friday sales. Hell on my local Target store during BF the only main bundle the PS4 had aside from the 5 or 6 Star Wars Bundles were the Uncharted ones. It's funny that some are claiming that people do have a choice whether they wanted to get that or Star Wars or COD bundle but there wasn't any COD bundles on my local Target store and even if there was it will be limited like the 5 or 6 Star Wars ones and once those bundles are gone people literally had no choice but to get the main bundle which is Uncharted. The same goes for Halo 5 which was very limited and Gears bundle was MS main bundle for the holidays contrary to what some are claiming here.

By the way in response to someone bringing up Splatoon in this thread you do know Splatoon was bundled with the WiiU especially in Japan, right?

Oh one last thing the NPD results for Uncharted Collection that sold without bundles is quite telling and all you need to know.

Proud to be a Californian.