By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I don't get how Mass Effect 3 was a bad game (major spoilers)...

What ending did you choose?

FUCK THE REAPERS! #DESTROYFTW! 38 42.22%

My god... control is so e... 11 12.22%

Yo man... peace is import... 21 23.33%

FUCK YOU ALL! I HAD ENOUG... 20 22.22%

Total:90
hudsoniscool said:
I loved mass effect 3, as did the critics and the vast majority of people. The single player was phenomenal and the mp while I was skeptical of its inclusion delivered. What pisses me off is the vocal minority came out whining there tushes off and made some truly awesome people retire from the industry.

Um the game sucked.It had nothing to do with the vocal minority.The majority of people said it sucked except for this board,which is th eminority on the internet and the rest of the world.If a game is trash,then I will say so and ME3 is trash.I never finished it until a year later just so I could see how it ended and it was crap just like the entirety of the game.Bioware as a company has not made a good game since ME2,which I could not put down.

Around the Network
PowerGamer said:
hudsoniscool said:
I loved mass effect 3, as did the critics and the vast majority of people. The single player was phenomenal and the mp while I was skeptical of its inclusion delivered. What pisses me off is the vocal minority came out whining there tushes off and made some truly awesome people retire from the industry.

Um the game sucked.It had nothing to do with the vocal minority.The majority of people said it sucked except for this board,which is th eminority on the internet and the rest of the world.If a game is trash,then I will say so and ME3 is trash.I never finished it until a year later just so I could see how it ended and it was crap just like the entirety of the game.Bioware as a company has not made a good game since ME2,which I could not put down.

Well EA forces Bioware to rush ME3, cutting development by a year.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

The Fury said:

There are a few things from ME3 that I'm actually saw we didn't really see the after effects of. The problem the game had in a sense of decision making is that it was the last in the story so things should be being resolved not left open, so while the Geth/Quarian War ending had a good, galaxy changing outcome. While the Krogan decision can affect the galaxy but only after the game (and man if you had the guts to pull the trigger...).

The problem Dragon Age series has is that while Bioware is trying to make it a complicated story like Mass Effect (dialogue wheels etc), they really shouldn't be. Dragon Age, unless they intend on doing a story in the world that is like ME where you have 1 character in 3 games, works better as a world, not a larger story. The story aspects of DA:I and the ramifications of it after don't work because they can't focus on those aspects in the next game UNLESS it's a direct sequel. Things are only mentioned in passing, a big decision in DA:O was to kill Morigan's mother, yet they just reverse this for their overall story anyway. Many big story moments in DA:I are not in our control at all and I think this is because Bioware are trying to control where the story is going instead of letting us say (I mean they tried to make out like the Warden's were bad in it, we started as a Warden in DA:O and they were good, trying to turn us against the Wardens was a bad idea).

This is one of the reasons I want the DA series to be more about individual games set in the same world with the same gameplay mechanics. While you can mention certain things, each game should stand on their own and not be controlled by decisions before.

They should just make large time jumps (like hundreads of years). That way it wouldnt affect the previous games or be affected by the previous games (much) and could be its own thing.
I would rather that aswell after seeing what they have done with 2 and inquisition.

Nem said:

They should just make large time jumps (like hundreads of years). That way it wouldnt affect the previous games or be affected by the previous games (much) and could be its own thing.
I would rather that aswell after seeing what they have done with 2 and inquisition.

Without a doubt. Maybe hundreds of years might be a lot yet this said if they try and replicate what Bethesda are doing with Elder Scrolls. Between Oblivion and Skyrim was 200 years. Regardless of what you did in Oblivion, the main story still happened and that's all they mentioned in Skyrim and in historical records only. So I'm hoping the next DA game mentions DA:I to the smallest amount.

It apparently will be set in the north of Thedas, while all previous games have been in the south so other than some mention of grey warden stuff, the issues the south have had will be just a rumour at best or not even mentioned in game. We shall see, I think it's a long way off sadly, that game doesn't feel like it's on a 2 year cycle.

Hmm, pie.

Hynad said:

You write this entire wall of text that doesn't adress a single relevent point of his, to then say HE is the one dodging and weaving around the debate?

That's priceless.

As far as I'm concerned, he is not the one who's full of it. Unless you can come up with an actual comment that doesn't revolve around what you think he is or does, and instead address his points and questions about your comment and your sources, then you literally have nothing.

If he has an inferiority complex, you are a grave case of freudian projection.

Yup.  Good to see it's pretty transparent to others.  But, that's what you do when you don't actually have a legitimate point I guess.  Cheers. 

Around the Network

JWeinCom said:

"First of all. I am willing to apologise to you on mutual grounds. I felt "attacked" by your from the beginning. I am sorry if you felt that I was attacking you, that was not my intentions. Which is why I was clear to state that I believe you are intelligent, but I do feel that you may have an inferiority complex simply because you are displaying indications of this to me. Just as I am displaying indications to you that I am lying. Unfortunately, I am not. I did post a link to the web-site of one of guys I talked to. An ex-founding father to be exact. One of the men behind the Baulders Gate games. He gave a very interesting lecture on the game industry and the way it works. A great guy. "

No, I don't accept that. If you call someone a jackass and claim that they have an inferiority complex then it was clearly your intention to insult them. Especially with the word jackass which is pretty much only used as an insult when you're not talking about donkeys. So don't call me a jackass and pretend you weren't insulting me. That's a lie.

You are not "displaying indications" that you're lying. You lied. It's in black and white. I don't know how many times I have to repeat this, but if you say you talked to 2 people, then you say you talked to at least 7, you lied at least once. It's not a case of me making unfounded accusations to discredit you. Furthermore, I mentioned that you are a liar, because it is entirely relevant to this conversation. We're talking about Mass Effect 3, so if you're lying about information in Mass Effect 3, then that's relevant. Whether or not I have an inferiority complex is entirely irrelevant. So why are you bringing it up AGAIN if not to insult me? "Oh I'm sorry if I offended you by saying you have an inferiority complex... but you know, I'm pretty sure you do."

This slimy "sorry not sorry" is quite offensive. Is my supposed inferiority complex relevant to this conversation? If not, then kindly stfu about it, and don't insult me again. I'm more than happy to defend my claims and my opinions. I am not going to defend my personality.

I could claim that you are lying about a masters degree as. I haven't seen evidence for a lot of your claims. Like myself. I only see a wall of text. I haven't seen you post your degree online. Feel free to do so if you want to rest your case on this matter.

I don't appreciate being called a liar without good reason. I've actually given evidence to support ALL of my claims. When I said what I thought the theme of the game is, I gave details from the game. When I called you a liar, I showed where you lied. When I claimed authors do not have total authority over their work, I showed it with logic, examples, and gave you links to important scholarly essays on the topic. If you think my evidence does not support my claim, then you can question that, but don't claim that you don't see evidence. I have given a HUGE abundance of evidence even on minor points. If you see a wall of text, then you do not know what evidence is. Can you show me a lot of claims I made without evidence? Cause if not, that's a lie.

Plus that's just rude. Because I didn't come in here shouting you're a liar. I called you a liar once I had conclusive evidence that you lied. WHen you said "I spoke to two people at Bioware" and then "I spoke to 7 people at Bioware", I knew you lied, so then I said it.

And, your claim that you spoke to people at Bioware is directly relevant to the conversation. So, it is justified to doubt that claim. I only brought up my degree to show strong evidence that I do in fact understand theme.

Your position, that organics vs synthetics is the main theme of Mass Effect, is COMPLETELY dependent on your supposed conversations. My argument does NOT rest on me having a degree. So, if you don't believe me, that's fine.

With all that said,

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/12046951_10100785576131210_5494754248596277221_n.jpg?oh=164d24281346979535959c99fe8b53ea&oe=57028B35 (copy paste if the link doesn't work).

Because if I bring something up, I can prove it. Where's your proof?

And don't claim that I just don't get how theme works unless you can show that ^_^

You are correct about brining peace to the galaxy is a major theme that overlays in the series. The theme of that was drawn from one word "Unity". As far as themes in game development goes. You remain incorrect. You ignored my God of War example. Probably the simplest example. Would you like me to give you more?

I'm not correct about that because I never said that. Which goes to show why I wouldn't accept your statement from Bioware even if I believed it and cared about author's intent.

What I said was that the theme was cooperation vs individualism. All of my examples were related to that, and I never said the word peace in any context. If you can't even properly relay my own message back to me, I have serious doubts that you can relay a message from Bioware. This is yet another reason why "Bioware told me so" does not hold up, even if your claim was true. Because you're showing an inability to take in and accurately convey information. And no, this is not a personal attack because it is actually relevant to the topic of whether or not I should believe your claim about the theme.

And what exactly do you expect me to say about God of War? You said the theme of God of War was violence and gor or battling the greek gods. Yay. I don't see how that comment warranted any comment from me. I understand how concepts work in gaming and I didn't feel I needed to say anything.

But since you insist on having me comment on every irrelevant tangent you go on, fine. You're misusing the word theme. I have never ever seen the term theme used in that way, probably because that's not what theme means. I'd call it a concept. You have concept art that gives you an idea of what the game would look like, and story concepts that draft out the story, and gameplay concepts that help shape the gameplay.

If you can find links to anyone reputable talking about theme in the way you are, provide a link.

Andromeda will be an all new chapter in the Mass Effect universe. It will have some relations to the original trilogy but it will feel new and fresh. We likely will not see the Reapers as it should be outside of the cycle. Keep in mind that not all the Reapers just go to one galaxy lol. The will be a new type of enemy. Should it remain unchanged. Feel free to record this. The enemies will be know as "The Revenants". The game will be heavily focused on exploration and colonisation. You will be a pathfinder. I will refrain from any more details. It will very much feel like a Mass Effect game, but it will be a very different game. It will bring in new fans and hopefully please all of the existing fans. At least that is the goal. Again, feel free to copy paste this into a note pad for next holiday season. November should be the sweet spot. It will be a more human story.

Hmmmmmm... so you can't say who told you the MAIN THEME of the game, but you CAN tell me details about the story in a NEW game? Really? And you wonder why I don't believe this bs?

And I am going to again call you a liar.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/109774/20151123/mass-effect-andromeda-leak-maybe-reveals-new-gameplay-information.htm

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/571570/Mass-Effect-4-News-leak-Andromeda-setting-online-Strike-Missions-premise-story

You're portraying publicly leaked information as some kind of insider info. Coincidentally all of the "insider" information you have was also leaked about half a year ago. And I guess you're hoping that I don't have google or something. Please, stop trying to get me to believe bullshit. I have ample reason now to doubt every single thing you say, so unless it is backed up by evidence, expect me to not believe it.

And the name of the enemies supposedly leaked is the "remnants". Not revenants.

All Bioware games follow the dialogue wheel. The new Bioware IP from the main studios in Edmonton will once again use the standard Bioware formula. This game is top secret. I am happy to say that there has been no leaks as of yet. All that has and can be stated about the game is that one of the main focuses that Bioware is working on is motion capture. This is to be expected and they feel that the facial expressions in the Mass Effect and Dragon Age series did not capture the essence they wanted. Bioware is taking a look at what Naughty Dog has done with Uncharted and The Last of Us. This game will be very different from other Bioware games and will capture the best of their work. The game may or may not be more modernish. That last part is just a wild guess on my part. Oh and by all means. Please do press the print screen button and copy this into paint and save a copy. It would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately the evidence may come late, but it's better late than never. After all, as you stated. I am a pathological lair. // sarcasm.

Oh wow. It may or may not be more modernish? How can that statement possibly be proven right or wrong? This paragraph says nothing concrete about the game except that it uses motion capture which falls under the realm of no shit. Even if I cared enough, there's nothing here that could really verify or not verify your insider status.

What details are here that I could look back on and say "wow that liar was actually right"! That it uses the conversation wheel? Duh. Anyone could predict that. That they're going to use motion capture? No shit. Of course they're going to work on technical aspects of the game for a new gen. Bioware is taking a look at Naughty Dog games? How on Earth could I definitively say whether or not they looked at those games? The game will capture the best of their work? Subjective and vague. The game will be very different from other Bioware games? Subjective, and contradicts the idea that they will "once again use the standard Bioware formula". The game may or may not be more modernish? Lolol. Great prediction Nostredamus. That literally can't be wrong. Let me try. "The game may or may not involve lemons". Whether the game has or doesn't have lemons, I'm right. For an insider, or contact or whatever you're claiming, you've provided nothing that even comes close to worthwhile information.

The idea that you have "insider" info on Mass Effect 4 (which has been leaked) that contains concrete details, and can not provide any concrete "insider" info on this game where there have not been leaks makes me further doubt your claims. It seems that your "inside" source is google, since all the inside information you're claiming to have can be found there.

As for printing the screen, I really really don't give a shit. This is what you're not getting. I don't care at all if you're a liar. Whatever you do outside of this conversation is your business. The only reason I brought up you lying is when you lied about something that is not relevant to the debate or if you told lies about me. You seem to be getting really defensive and trying to prove yourself, but I dont care. And you're lying about me having called you a pathological liar. But, you are starting to convince me.

This comment may sound a little bit of an asshole. So I apologise in advance. You dodged my comments regarding game design and it's core themes that are expanded on. Why is this? Do you have any experience what so ever in game design, or knowledge of how the game industry works? Or do you just merely play games and talk about them online? Just a curious question that must be asked at this point. Because again, I am fabricating bullshit on such matters. You seem to flaunt your English degree around to prove your point. You don't and won't see me doing such a thing. But what do I know?

I won't see you do such a thing? Lol...

" I can claim that I do my own writing anomalously, which I do, and that I have a strong understanding of philosophy, which I also do. I studied what a lot of philosophy and A.I. as a form of intelligent life and becoming self-aware is one of the studies in university. I had to write one hell of an essay on that."

" I do have a little side project that I do where I write and create content in an anonymous matter. What started out as a simple concept to prove a point, has surpassed my expectations and milestones. I occasionally interact with the followers and produce more content. I get to reflect on various philosophies, stories, polarity, and contrasts. I play with plethora of ideas of various themes. To say it isn't fun or intriguing would be a lie"

"One of the greatest things about writing is that there is no right or wrong for an author. The challenge is to portray that vision to your audience. I fell into this trap in a recent script I wrote. I over complicated it, and was restricted to 45 seconds. The result of the draft was revealing to me. Only 40% of the people understood the meaning behind it. That is not good. That is bad. Some people might say "Oh well the 60% are stupid." I've had people say that to me. On the other hand. I picked a subject that required more time to flesh out the explanation and emotions."

"As for that authority thing you posted. It made me laugh a little because I am quite the opposite of that. As someone who is quite philosophical and scientific. I delve into a lot of research to form my own opinions on various matters. "

You keep talking about how much you've studied things, how much you've written, and how "scientific and philosophical you are". And I know the scientific part of that statement is wrong, because if you don't think you need to present evidence for a claim, you ain't scientific.

How exactly is "I have a strong understanding of philosophy" or "as someone who is quite philosophical and scientific" and different than "I have a degree in English"? It's not any different, besides the fact that my claim to knowledge has been validated by outside sources.

So don't accuse me of doing something and claim you haven't to try and make me look bad. Cause you did, and I showed it. This lying thing... it has to stop.

Plus, I never made such claims as "I am a philosophical person" or "I wrote a hell of an essay" or "I play with plethora of ideas of themes" (which btw is a totally malformed sentence. Among other issues you would need to say "a" plethora of ideas. Don't use big words if you don't know how to use them). This is just bragging as it doesn't have anything to do with what we're talking about. I didn't use my English degree to show how smart I am. I used it to show that, unlike you, I actually do have special knowledge on a topic, in this case an author's authority, that was relevant to the conversation, and to defend myself against the claim that I don't understand theme. If you claim I don't, you are at odds with well over a dozen professors who have attested to the fact that I do. My degree is relevant, because I assure you, I did not earn an English degree without understanding one of the most basic of literary concepts. Your bragging about how scientific you are is not relevant to the conversation in any matter. Frankly, it's quite unbecoming.

And I did not use my degrees to prove any point. I mentioned them, and then linked you to two scholarly essays on the matter, which I'm guessing you ignored, provided examples, explanations, and logical proof. I did use the degree to show that I am a reputable source on the matter but I also included evidence. The only "point" I used my degree to prove was to address the attack you made against my knowledge of theme. Because, yes, my degree is strong evidence that I do know a little something about that.

And why even bring this up? Because you can not support your own claims, so you're implying that I'm arrogant (which you actually said before... I missed that personal attack, but you're throwing out so many it's hard to keep track) in lieu of actual defending your point of view with evidence.

And hey, maybe I am arrogant. And that apparent arrogance is probably just going to get worse as you lie, insult me, imply that I am lying, and question my knowledge on a subject about which I am very knowledgeable. Regardless, that doesn't have anything to do with whether or not what I say is right. So keep your personal feelings about me out of this conversation unless they somehow relate to the theme of Mass Effect 3.

As for my game design experience, no, which is entirely irrelevant (I'm noticing a theme here). Because I do not need to design a game to realize the theme of this game. I never said I was a developer, and this is not a site that mainly has game developers, so you should have known from the beginning I was not talking from a development perspective. Your comments at the beginning CLEARLY indicated you were talking about story and not game design. To quote.

"I'm going to need to agree to disagree because the main plot of the series was indeed the interaction of Organics and Synthetics."

"The main philosophy of the series is regarding both Organics and Synthetics in various forms and points of views. Verses does not necessarily mean fighting, but comparing the two and the aspects of them."

When you gave examples, you did not give game design examples, you gave story examples. You also gave most of your examples based on non-interactive media like movies and writing which show that you are (or at least were) focusing on literature and not game design.

When you're talking about philosophy and plot, you are clearly talking about the story and not game design (although there is some overlap). And instead of addressing my questions about the story, you're now switching the conversation to being about game design. And now, you are again making ad hominen attacks. Instead of actually addressing what I said, you're just saying "what do you know about game design."

It doesn't matter if I'm a game designer. Is what I say not true? If not, then show evidence that it is not.

And even if we are talking about game design YOU HAVE GIVEN NO EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT YOURSELF. I showed you how most of the game is not spent fighting synthetics, and how the non-combat sections of the game revolve around another theme, which you ignored, and instead simply opted to attack me instead of my claim.

You have gone out of your way to talk about everything in the world besides the theme of Mass Effect 3.

I want to give a shout out to Darc Requiem for stating the following. He is 100% dead on the mark. I want to thank him for pointing out something very insightful to the conversation regarding Mass Effect. This is something I brought up in my original posts. I can confirm that what he said is true. Oh but I suppose you'll call me a lair again for not being able to prove it. Either way. I want to thank Darc Requiem for his contribution do the table."The original theme of ME was dropped completely after the original lead writer, Drew Karpyshyn, left Bioware. This resulted in the sudden "organics vs. synthetics" motivational change for the Reapers. The original motivation of the Reapers was tied to the Dark Energy story point brought up in ME2. I'll try to be brief. The Reapers original motivation was to solve the Dark Energy issue. In ME2, Tali's team on Haelstrom was studying Dholen a star that was aging rapidly. The source of the rapid aging was Dark Energy. The Mass Effect Field technology that powered the ME Universe was the source. The Reapers cycle wipes out all advanced life to stop the proliferation of Dark Energy. This was to buy time to resolve the problem. Without the Cycle's the dark energy would continue to build, this would cause all stars to exihibit the aging present in Dholen. This would lead to the eventual end of life in the galaxy. Shepard original was going to have the choice destroying the Reapers and hoping the Council races could resovled the dark energy problem or letting the cycle continue to ensuring that some form of life would go on."

Your constant asides about "oh but you think I'm a liar" are incredibly childish and a really silly way to deflect criticism. Look, we've already established that I don't believe your claim, and you've already admitted that it was at least partially a lie. So, either prove what you can prove, or drop it. I said this REALLY long ago. Stop repeating dubious claims you can't prove, and I won't call you a liar. Simple. But if you keep repeating absurd claims that you know I don't accept without backing it up, then don't get pissy when I call it a lie.

And I don't know why you keep bringing up entirely irrelevant stuff over and over again. Requiem is talking about the motivation of the reapers being organics vs synthetics. And this absolutely was the motivation. He didn't say anywhere that the theme of the game was organics vs synthetics.

And, notice what he did that you have not been doing. He didn't just say Drew Karpshyn said the plot was supposed to be about dark matter. He said that, and then brought up an example from the game (the aging star) to back up what he said. He is not making an argument from authority. He is looking at what the author says, and then seeing if it matches up with the game itself.

Oh, and congrats on being able to confirm it. I can confirm it too because it was in a public interview he did. -_-; Again, don't pretend that public information was shared directly with you. It won't prove to me that you're being honest, and it won't make you seem any more important.

I also state for a multiple times (I won't give a number because I am too lazy to look back and do not have the time, and you'll call me a lair if I am one number off :3 ) companies contain certain rules regarding the flow of information. I would like to respect that for the people I have talked to. So yes, I will refuse to give you information on this. Feel free to call me out on this one, but hey. It's better to be safe than sorry ;) In this case. Being called a liar or an idiot is much more preferred on my part. I should learn to keep my mouth shut while sharing. Perhaps you'd agree that I should be a little more.... selective?

No, I'll call you a liar when you are one number off, and then five numbers off, and then admit that you lied to make your information seem more important. You admitted that you lied about that, so I don't know why you keep whining about it. You lied, I caught you, so simply drop the bs claim.

But, I don't really care if you say you spoke to someone at Bioware, or if you say god came down and told you the plot. But, if you want me to actually take what you say into consideration and use it to inform my view, then yes, you need to prove it. To suggest that I should just accept it without evidence is insulting my intelligence.

I didn't want to say it before, but I actually spoke to at least 8 people from Bioware, who all told me you're wrong. Unless one of us can provide evidence to support ourselves, then both claims are equally valid. If we accept yours, we have to accept mine. If we reject mine, we have to reject yours.

I think this is enough for now. I am sorry that I did not address as much as possible this time. I intentionally did that because of the amount of time we spent on arguing. You said we were going off subject

, so I turned this back on subject. Feel free to say I'm dodging your questions. I feel that it's time that if we are going to talk about Mass Effect. We shall return to the subject of Mass Effect as you have subtlety suggested when I went off subject. Forgive me for my hasty reply.

I was not very subtle... To simplify this. Here are the questions that I feel were relevant and not addressed.

1. How can we tell if an author's comments about their work are wrong? If what the author says disagrees with the actual text, which do we accept?

2. Whether or not you talked to someone at Bioware , there should still be evidence in the games themselves that organics vs synthetics is the main theme. Right?

3. Following # 2, do you have any evidence that, from a design and literary perspective, organics vs synthetics is the main theme? Prove this, using evidence from the games.

4. Should people accept claims without any sort of evidence? If they should not, why do you keep insisting I should and that I am "desperate" for arguing against your claim?

These are really simple questions that I've brought up several different times.

First and foremost. I will apologise for taking a day to reply. I was at a seminar last night and I will not go into details on this. After all I would be called a liar. On the subject of lying. Personally it is the most insulting thing a person can say to me. Yet, you claim to be insulted that I hold doubts for you. I stated that you had an "inferiority complex" based on the assumption of the way you are stating your words to me, and how you seem to be quite argumentive in general from what I've observed. Just as you call me a liar through a basic assumption. I assumed by the fact you consistently call me a liar and my reluctance to admit to it, you were hinting at the idea that I was a pathological liar. I do not see you admitting to your faults. Perhaps I should be using the word assumption more in context while speaking to you. I continue to go off topic, because you continue to do the same. After all. Even you stated that this conversation should be directly related to Mass Effect 3.

Regarding to the leaks online. About a year ago a website know as AGB released a very lengthy detailed outline in the shape of a press release regarding Mass Effect Andromeda. It is far more in-depth than the links you provided me. They also leaked Dragon Age Inquisition well in advance. I would suggest looking on that site, they do not have a search function and you'll need to hit the back button a lot. Easily a hundred times. I'm not going through that effort for you after the tones that I find quite disrespectful. The information is indeed out there. I can also tell you right now that the person who leaked DA is no longer at the Edmonton studios and is now at Bioware Montreal. That is the studio who is now helming the next chapter in the Mass Effect series, while the main studios in Edmonton is working hard on the new IP. Thank god that the leaker is gone.

On the subject of lying.
"1.
an intentionally false statement."

By that definition I have not lied, however!

"used with reference to a situation involving deception or founded on a mistaken impression."

I fully admit that I did the above. I could also alter the number to 8 right now. Unfortunately I do not consider saying hello as a sufficient reason. I also do not count the 4 guys I met at an Expo one time. Really? Want me to go to 12? Blasphemy! So yes. I could have raised that number again without lying. But it would have been dishonest in a way that would be a great deal to myself. I am disappointed enough to raise the number. For example the conversation with Trent, who went on to form Beamdog, said next to nothing about the Mass Effect series. He was very focused on the Baluder's Gate franchise and, if I remember right, Neverwinter Nights. Beamdog remains committed to spiritually continuing the Baulder's Gate series. So yes, it was "deceptive" of me to add him to the number. I figure, what the hell. It was more dishonesty, than a lie, as communication with a Bioware founder who's been there since the beginning is true. I twisted the meaning as a double meaning. Communication on Mass Effect was deceptive. Indeed I have had conversations regarding Mass Effect and it's development. I have very good reasons for being hesitant for going into details in these matters. This should be blantly obvious to you and yes I have been dodging the reason as to why, I will continue to do so.

From where I stand. I gave this information to people who wanted to hear or learn something regarding the game. I am glad to know that I didn't waste my time, and I am sorry that you disagree and continue to disagree. That is fine with me. Of course you'll twist the knife with that, but really. At this point it's a lost cause imho.

On another subject of a lie. I could faithfully call you a liar right now. You claim to "not care". No one in their right mind will go through the effort if they didn't care. You make lengthy replies and dedicate time to this, therefore you care. I do the same, therefor I care. This really doesn't get any simpler. Does it feel good to know that you fall under definition 1 as that was likely intentional, under my own assumption. Rather than "deceptive" as I fully admit to doing, and have done so when I explained my "marketing" bullshit comparison to make myself look better. Again, very very simple concept. No explanation should be required.

I can clearly tell that you don't know how a theme works, or is dictated in the gaming industry from a developers point of view. I stand corrected in this matter. Perhaps in the field that you work in, it takes a different point of view. A theme is dictated by the base foundation for which the game is developed on. In gaming a theme is often the derives around the concept and idea of the gameplay that leads into the story. Yes it is true that with Bioware the story comes first. I will admit this. However a lot is changed in the course of the development of their games to fit the idea and concept. Which is the base theme the game is focused around. It is often an idea that can be summed up even on a napkin and then evolves as development progresses. All of these concepts are first used in a "prototype", which is a stage before Alpha. Trust me, this stuff is nothing to look at, it's laughable and may even make one puke. Infact the story isn't even there, only a base guideline which supports the intentional theme of the original vision and message the developers wish to convey to the audience. In this case, what I stated about theme from a developer point of view is correct. I still stand by this claim and will continue to do so until you prove me wrong in such a manner. There is tons of story in a Bioware game. Lot's of messages, side quests and stories for the gamer to engage in, some of it is quarterbacking (I will explain this if you do not know the term), luckily Bioware tries to lay low on this, DA is a bad example of where it failed. In Mass Effect the concept of Synthetic and Organics arguably spreads through almost everything. Through that Unity and Galactic peace became major themes. Which is supported and glued together by the idea, the base concept, and reoccurring (main) theme of the game. It's the needle and thread of the series. I am sorry if you were unable to get this, but that was the message and intention of the developer. It's what they wanted to convey to their audience. I personally think they did a good job at it. From your perspective, they did a poor job.

Now I'm going to ask you to ask a few questions this time around. If you can answer ALL of these correctly, then I will concede in this argument and admit you are right. Just remember that themes in gaming is very different than you may expect. I am asking for the base theme, most which is decided before the proto-type phase. I doubt this will be a challenge for you. Some of them can be reoccurring themes, none the less they are themes, and without understanding these themes you will not see success in the gaming industry. You will fall flat on your face. By the way. If any one answers before you, it's a bust, so please let JWeinCom plead his case.

1) Metroid Prime, Elderscrolls, Myth
2) Metal Gear Solid, Call of Duty, Age of Empires
3) System Shock, Silent Hill, Bioshock
4) Mirrors Edge, Assassin's Creed, Dying Light
5) God of War, No More Heroes, Soldier of Fortune
6) Grand Theft Auto, Twisted Metal, Gran Turismo
7) Uncharted, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider
8) Fire Emblem, The Legend of Zelda, The Witcher
9) Dues Ex, Remeber Me, Snatcher
10) Castlevania, Lunar Knights, BloodRayne
11) Zone of Enders, Armor Core, Ranger X
12) Advent Rising, Mass Effect (This ones gets 2 because it's a rare theme and Halo counts, but is not a core theme)
13) Watch Doges, Batman Arkham Games, True Crime
14) The Order of 1886, Kid Icarus, Altered Beast
15) Audiosurf, Brutal Legend, Rock Band

Good luck. You got 15 shots. Some are tricky but I gave you a few simple freebies. Get them all right and you rest your case. If you get half of them right, I'll give you some credit, and even respect. I'm more than happy to share the answers if you give a fair attempt to all of them, you may even learn something about game development.

Go on. Spin those wheels xD :)

Airaku said

First and foremost. I will apologise for taking a day to reply. I was at a seminar last night and I will not go into details on this. After all I would be called a liar. On the subject of lying. Personally it is the most insulting thing a person can say to me. Yet, you claim to be insulted that I hold doubts for you. I stated that you had an "inferiority complex" based on the assumption of the way you are stating your words to me, and how you seem to be quite argumentive in general from what I've observed. Just as you call me a liar through a basic assumption. I assumed by the fact you consistently call me a liar and my reluctance to admit to it, you were hinting at the idea that I was a pathological liar. I do not see you admitting to your faults. Perhaps I should be using the word assumption more in context while speaking to you. I continue to go off topic, because you continue to do the same. After all. Even you stated that this conversation should be directly related to Mass Effect 3.

Regarding to the leaks online. About a year ago a website know as AGB released a very lengthy detailed outline in the shape of a press release regarding Mass Effect Andromeda. It is far more in-depth than the links you provided me. They also leaked Dragon Age Inquisition well in advance. I would suggest looking on that site, they do not have a search function and you'll need to hit the back button a lot. Easily a hundred times. I'm not going through that effort for you after the tones that I find quite disrespectful. The information is indeed out there. I can also tell you right now that the person who leaked DA is no longer at the Edmonton studios and is now at Bioware Montreal. That is the studio who is now helming the next chapter in the Mass Effect series, while the main studios in Edmonton is working hard on the new IP. Thank god that the leaker is gone.

On the subject of lying.
"1.
an intentionally false statement."

By that definition I have not lied, however!

"used with reference to a situation involving deception or founded on a mistaken impression."

I fully admit that I did the above. I could also alter the number to 8 right now. Unfortunately I do not consider saying hello as a sufficient reason. I also do not count the 4 guys I met at an Expo one time. Really? Want me to go to 12? Blasphemy! So yes. I could have raised that number again without lying. But it would have been dishonest in a way that would be a great deal to myself. I am disappointed enough to raise the number. For example the conversation with Trent, who went on to form Beamdog, said next to nothing about the Mass Effect series. He was very focused on the Baluder's Gate franchise and, if I remember right, Neverwinter Nights. Beamdog remains committed to spiritually continuing the Baulder's Gate series. So yes, it was "deceptive" of me to add him to the number. I figure, what the hell. It was more dishonesty, than a lie, as communication with a Bioware founder who's been there since the beginning is true. I twisted the meaning as a double meaning. Communication on Mass Effect was deceptive. Indeed I have had conversations regarding Mass Effect and it's development. I have very good reasons for being hesitant for going into details in these matters. This should be blantly obvious to you and yes I have been dodging the reason as to why, I will continue to do so.

From where I stand. I gave this information to people who wanted to hear or learn something regarding the game. I am glad to know that I didn't waste my time, and I am sorry that you disagree and continue to disagree. That is fine with me. Of course you'll twist the knife with that, but really. At this point it's a lost cause imho.

On another subject of a lie. I could faithfully call you a liar right now. You claim to "not care". No one in their right mind will go through the effort if they didn't care. You make lengthy replies and dedicate time to this, therefore you care. I do the same, therefor I care. This really doesn't get any simpler. Does it feel good to know that you fall under definition 1 as that was likely intentional, under my own assumption. Rather than "deceptive" as I fully admit to doing, and have done so when I explained my "marketing" bullshit comparison to make myself look better. Again, very very simple concept. No explanation should be required.

I can clearly tell that you don't know how a theme works, or is dictated in the gaming industry from a developers point of view. I stand corrected in this matter. Perhaps in the field that you work in, it takes a different point of view. A theme is dictated by the base foundation for which the game is developed on. In gaming a theme is often the derives around the concept and idea of the gameplay that leads into the story. Yes it is true that with Bioware the story comes first. I will admit this. However a lot is changed in the course of the development of their games to fit the idea and concept. Which is the base theme the game is focused around. It is often an idea that can be summed up even on a napkin and then evolves as development progresses. All of these concepts are first used in a "prototype", which is a stage before Alpha. Trust me, this stuff is nothing to look at, it's laughable and may even make one puke. Infact the story isn't even there, only a base guideline which supports the intentional theme of the original vision and message the developers wish to convey to the audience. In this case, what I stated about theme from a developer point of view is correct. I still stand by this claim and will continue to do so until you prove me wrong in such a manner. There is tons of story in a Bioware game. Lot's of messages, side quests and stories for the gamer to engage in, some of it is quarterbacking (I will explain this if you do not know the term), luckily Bioware tries to lay low on this, DA is a bad example of where it failed. In Mass Effect the concept of Synthetic and Organics arguably spreads through almost everything. Through that Unity and Galactic peace became major themes. Which is supported and glued together by the idea, the base concept, and reoccurring (main) theme of the game. It's the needle and thread of the series. I am sorry if you were unable to get this, but that was the message and intention of the developer. It's what they wanted to convey to their audience. I personally think they did a good job at it. From your perspective, they did a poor job.

Now I'm going to ask you to ask a few questions this time around. If you can answer ALL of these correctly, then I will concede in this argument and admit you are right. Just remember that themes in gaming is very different than you may expect. I am asking for the base theme, most which is decided before the proto-type phase. I doubt this will be a challenge for you. Some of them can be reoccurring themes, none the less they are themes, and without understanding these themes you will not see success in the gaming industry. You will fall flat on your face. By the way. If any one answers before you, it's a bust, so please let JWeinCom plead his case.

12) Advent Rising, Mass Effect (This ones gets 2 because it's a rare theme and Halo counts, but is not a core theme)

Good luck. You got 15 shots. Some are tricky but I gave you a few simple freebies. Get them all right and you rest your case. If you get half of them right, I'll give you some credit, and even respect. I'm more than happy to share the answers if you give a fair attempt to all of them, you may even learn something about game development.

First and foremost. I will apologise for taking a day to reply. I was at a seminar last night and I will not go into details on this. After all I would be called a liar.

Again, why do I care?  Allow me to say, I do not care at all about where you were last night. I don't know why you brought it up, or why you think I care enough to question it.  Why you feel the need to make a point that you were at a seminar is beyond me.  

To deflect criticism, you're trying to portray it like I'm just calling you out on everything you said, but I'm not.  Only on claims that have a direct bearing on the theme of Mass Effect.  So, stop it with the childish whining.

On the subject of lying. Personally it is the most insulting thing a person can say to me.

Then... you know... stop lying maybe?  I have no idea why you're so intent on proving to me that you are not lying, but your wonky explanations and ridiculous assertions aren't helping you.  

Yet, you claim to be insulted that I hold doubts for you.

Yes, because I've not given any reason to suggest that I am lying.  When you accused me of lying, I showed evidence that I was not.  And, it would be a classy move to acknowledge that evidence and admit you were wrong to challenge me.  Just saying.

I stated that you had an "inferiority complex" based on the assumption of the way you are stating your words to me, and how you seem to be quite argumentive in general from what I've observed. Just as you call me a liar through a basic assumption. I assumed by the fact you consistently call me a liar and my reluctance to admit to it, you were hinting at the idea that I was a pathological liar. I do not see you admitting to your faults.

Allow me to clear up this misconception...

I am absolutely argumentative.  Which has nothing to do with an inferiority complex.  Feel free to show me any evidence that this is usually a sign of that.

As for why I am talking to you the way I am, it is because I don't have much tolerance for dishonesty or being insulted.  It is also a big pet peeve of mine when people make claims without evidence. 

This is going to sound like a dick thing to say, and I'm sure it is, but, I cannot fake respect or feign politeness.  At this point, I do not feel the need to grant you any more respect than is mandated by the forum rules.   It it makes you happy, you can consider that a fault that I have admitted.  

But why should I need to admit to any faults?  Is this a group therapy session?  Whatever my faults are, they have no bearing on the theme of Mass Effect.  Your honesty however, directly relates to this topic, because you claim to have special informaiton about the game. 

And I'm calling you a liar because you've lied on a number of points.  Talking to people at Bioware, presenting public information as if it was insider info, calling me a jackass and claiming it's not an insult (if you insist it's not, then I'll just call you a jackass tthe rest of this conversation) that I'm dodging questions, that I would never see you bragging, and that I'm not providing evidence.

Perhaps I should be using the word assumption more in context while speaking to you. I continue to go off topic, because you continue to do the same. After all. Even you stated that this conversation should be directly related to Mass Effect 3.

Lol.  EVERYTHING I've said has been a direct response to you.  I have not been introducing new topics to this conversation.  And, whenever I ignore your irrelevant drivel, you accuse me of "dodging" questions.  So, if this is off topic, it is entirely your fault.  

If this leak is information that I could find myself through the website, then why did you present it as proof that you were telling the truth?  Why did you tell to print the screen and that "evidence may come later but better late than never"?  You presented it as information that you personally obtained.  Which is yet another lie.  

And, btw, it took me about two seconds to find the link to the AGB leak.  Don't have a search engine?  You know google exists right?  Both that and the Dragon Age Inquisition link came from surveys that were issued to people outside of the company.  There was no "leaker" within the company.  

So your claim that "the person who leaked DA is no longer at the Edmonton studios is again, a lie.  And by this point, yes I am absolutely convinced you are a pathological liar.  

The traits of a pathological liar include.  

The most telltale sign is the commitment to the lie.  Any rational truthful person would by this point just have thought "oh this guy doesn't believe me.  Oh well." Yet despite my constantly telling you "either drop it or prove it and I won't say anything about it", instead you just keep piling on more and more.  "Oh it was actually at least 8 people.  And I spoke to so and so at a convention.  Oh and I could confirm this comment... and that comment, oh and I know the movements of each worker at Bioware."  Why would any rational person KEEP making these claims when I OBVIOUSLY don't believe them.  What is to be gained?  

So you don't want to be called a liar?  Let me show you how!  It's really simple, and I've told you how about 10 different times.  It's a simple three step process.  Before you say anything else, ask yourself these basic questions.

1.  Is this related to Mass Effect or the issue of an author's authority?

2.  Can I actually demonstrate that this is true?

3.  Am I willing to provide the evidence that shows this is true?

If the answer to any of these questions is "no" then just don't say it.  If you follow these steps, I can guarantee that I will never ever call you a liar.  And, if you follow steps 2 and 3 I can nearly guarantee that NOONE will EVER call you a liar.  It's soooooo simple.  

You said that you talked to "precisely" 7 people at Bioware about Mass Effect's theme.  So, increasing the number above 8, or including anyone that you didn't talk to about Mass Effect would in fact be a lie.

If you have such a low standard of integrity that you don't see what you've been doing as lying, then fine.  I really don't care how you rationalize your dishonesty.  "I was deceptive and dishonest, but I did not lie".  Lol.  Ok Bill Clinton.  All I care about is that you stop making the claim.  Can you prove it to me?  If not, I don't care what the reason is.  Just drop it entirely.

. Infact the story isn't even there, only a base guideline which supports the intentional theme of the original vision and message the developers wish to convey to the audience. In this case, what I stated about theme from a developer point of view is correct. I still stand by this claim and will continue to do so until you prove me wrong in such a manner.

No, that is not how it works at all.  Someone who is so scientific should understand this.

When YOU make a claim it is YOUR job to justify it.  When I said I had a master's degree, you doubted me.  And, while it was a dick move in a social context, you were absolutely correct to doubt me from a debate standpoint.  This was MY claim, so if I expect you to believe it, it was MY job to justify it. And I did.

I didn't say "I stand by the fact that I have a Master's Degree and will continue to do so until you prove me wrong in such a manner."  Nor have I done this for any other claims.

Now, YOU are making a claim, so I will hold YOU to the same standards you held me to.  This is YOUR claim.  It is YOUR job to prove it.  Can you show me any source to show that this is an accepted definition of theme in the game industry?  If not, then your claim does not stand. 

You claim to be scientific.  This should not be a foreign concept to you.

No, because, yet again.  It was not an intentional lie, or even a lie of any kind.  It was just you again showing a total lack of reading comprehension.

"I don't care at all if you're a liar. Whatever you do outside of this conversation is your business. The only reason I brought up you lying is when you lied about something that is not relevant to the debate or if you told lies about me."

I never said that I didn't care about this topic.  I actually said that I enjoyed debating, and care about defending my views.  I clearly indicated that I found whether or not you lied relevant in the context of this conversation, which is why I addressed it, and that outside of the context of this conversation, I didn't care.  I said that to hopefully end your incessant whining and your pathetic attempts to convince me you weren't lying.

Either you are deliberately misrepresenting what I said, or simply cannot read effectively.  I don't really care which, but you're wrong and you should probably apologize for calling me a liar.

Yeah... Even if I wanted to, I don't how to address this politely. .  Instead of giving giving 15 answers, I'll just list the top 15 ways that this is ridiculously stupid.

1. You actually didn't ask me any questions.  You know... those things with question marks at the end?

2.  Even if I was inclined to buy into this stupidity, I don't know what you want me to do.  Do you want me to list one theme that's common to all three games?  Do you want me to pick one game from each list?
3.  Why do you get to decide the theme of the games?  What makes you an authority?  Have you talked to every single developer out there?
4.  If I disagree with you, what then?  You're not automatically right.  So, we would then have to have another debate about EACH one of these games to
determine that.  We would literally wind up having 45 different arguments about 45 different games.
5.  You have not demonstrated that your definition of theme is valid.  
6.  You included the theme of Mass Effect in the list... which we have already established we disagree on. *facepalm*  
7.  Are you like a Batman villain or something?  What does this convoluted game have to do with anything?  This is straight up riddler shit. 
8.  Why on Earth would we have to discuss the themes of literally 45 other games to determine the theme of Mass Effect?
9.  Even if I got everything right, what would that prove?   Does that somehow change what you think about the theme of Mass Effect.  "OH well, you knew the theme of Brutal Legend.  Clearly then, my opinion of Mass Effect must be wrong.
10.  Didn't you say that you talked to the writers of Mass Effect, and this is the basis of your opinion?  So, if I pass this weird little test, you'll suddenly believe that I know more than Mass Effect about them?
11.  This conversation WAS about story, and I showed clear evidence that YOU were talking about story originally.  Why are you trying to change the scope?
12.  There is no game "The Elder Scrolls".  Without a subtitle, I can't tell which game you are talking about.  Same thing with things like the Legend of Zelda.  Are you talking about the NES game?  Ocarina of Time?  Skyward Sword?  Majora's Mask?  Twilight Princess? Phantom Hourglass?  Cause the theme can be different for all of those.
13.  I already said I am not involved in game development.  So why do I care if I "won't go very far"?  
14.  Do you think I care about earning your respect?  I have lived a very happy life without it, and I'm sure that will continue. As we have established that I, either correctly or incorrectly, think of you as a pathological liar, why would I care about it?
15.  I don't need you to concede any arguments.  It might give a little stroke to my ego, but I already know that my interpretation is grounded in evidence, my opinion on authorship is backed by writings of thinkers far greater than either of us, and you have provided nothing to support yourself. 
16. " Now I'm going to ask you questions?"  You didn't answer mine.
17.  Did I ever claim to be an absolute authority on theme?  That I knew the theme of every game?  No I did not.  I have not played many of these games.  Even the ones I had, I may or may not have thought deeply about theme.  I happen to have played through the Mass Effect series several times, and I got into quite a few discussions about the ending, so I feel strongly that I have a valid interpretation of the theme in this case.  
18.  Basically, you're doing this.

TWIIIIIIIIX!
So... I have a brilliant idea.  Instead of talking about 45 other games to figure out the theme of Mass Effect why don't we just talk about Mass Effect?  I've addressed all of your inane claims here, and I am perfectly happy to end all of these lines of conversation if you don't bring them up again.  Now, I will repeat the questions I asked last time.  If you don't answer them, then yes, you are absolutely dodging my points.  I will consider the argument conceded.  I don't care if you actually concede.  While I'll admit that from an egotistical standpoint I would enjoy that, it's not necessary.  If you refuse to address my points, that is a concession.  If you won't address relevant points, you are giving up.

Just let me say.  The only two points I really care about are 

a) the theme of Mass Effect.

b) Whether or not an author's extratextual claims should be taken as absolute.

1. How can we tell if an author's comments about their work are wrong? If what the author says disagrees with the actual text, which do we accept?

2. Whether or not you talked to someone at Bioware , there should still be evidence in the games themselves that organics vs synthetics is the main theme. Right?

3. Following # 2, do you have any evidence that, from BOTH a design and literary perspective, organics vs synthetics is the main theme? Prove this, using evidence from the games.

4. Should people accept claims without any sort of evidence? If they should not, why do you keep insisting I should believe your claims?

These four questions that you ignored several times now are laser focussed on the original topic.  They are asking you DIRECTLY to address the theme of Mass Effect and the issue of an author's authority.  

I have a feeling you might use my refusal to play your stupid game as a reason to not answer these, so you have my absolute word that I will do that if you give straightforward answers to these questions.  It won't prove anything about Mass Effect, but I will.  

slab_of_bacon said:
It's a good game... not sure why people wouldn't like it.

Gameplaywise its solid (the most solid). Having played the trilogy multiple times, I can attest to that. That was never the problem. 

But at least IMO from the ME series, following two, that should have been a given.

There's more to a videogame than just gameplay, and there is even more to gameplay than just gameplay, and the part they honed since game 1 is what they fucked up in game 3. I love the game but I completely understand the dislike, and actively dissassociated the crappier portions of the game from the whole.

I mean I hate to bring up undertale again, but Jesus...that Indie game did Morality, Choice, and Endings orders of Magnitude better than Mass Effect 3 did. I used to think creating that much content was unrealistic but one guy, his friends, and a kickstarter did it, why couldn't Bioware?

There isn't really an excuse from that standpoint. ME1 and ME2 also changed drastically based on how you played it, and the endings were more varied as well.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
slab_of_bacon said:
It's a good game... not sure why people wouldn't like it.

Gameplaywise its solid (the most solid). Having played the trilogy multiple times, I can attest to that. That was never the problem. 

But at least IMO from the ME series, following two, that should have been a given.

There's more to a videogame than just gameplay, and there is even more to gameplay than just gameplay, and the part they honed since game 1 is what they fucked up in game 3. I love the game but I completely understand the dislike, and actively dissassociated the crappier portions of the game from the whole.

I mean I hate to bring up undertale again, but Jesus...that Indie game did Morality, Choice, and Endings orders of Magnitude better than Mass Effect 3 did. I used to think creating that much content was unrealistic but one guy, his friends, and a kickstarter did it, why couldn't Bioware?

There isn't really an excuse from that standpoint. ME1 and ME2 also changed drastically based on how you played it, and the endings were more varied as well.

A bit off topic, but can you tell me about undertale?  I know I can read reviews, but I heard that it's best to play it with as little info as possible, and I'm worried about spoilers.

The Fury said:
Nem said:

Without a doubt. Maybe hundreds of years might be a lot yet this said if they try and replicate what Bethesda are doing with Elder Scrolls. Between Oblivion and Skyrim was 200 years. Regardless of what you did in Oblivion, the main story still happened and that's all they mentioned in Skyrim and in historical records only. So I'm hoping the next DA game mentions DA:I to the smallest amount.

It apparently will be set in the north of Thedas, while all previous games have been in the south so other than some mention of grey warden stuff, the issues the south have had will be just a rumour at best or not even mentioned in game. We shall see, I think it's a long way off sadly, that game doesn't feel like it's on a 2 year cycle.

From what I'm hearing the next game is taking place in the Tevinter Imperium. Dorian will likely make an appearance if that's the case. 

@Dr Henry Killinger

I agree. From a gameplay standpoint ME3 was great game. It dropped the ball story wise. Story was a big part of ME for a lot of players. It was what Bioware used to sell the game.