By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Instagram 'removes' post by activist Amber Amour 'live blogging' her rape

SvennoJ said:
only777 said:

Girl kisses guy, gets naked with guy, has shower with guy. Then says she was raped by guy.

Has device that can phone police. Goes on Instagram instead.  

Seems legit.

I'm not sure what you are insinuating.  Having a shower with a friend is not consenting to sex. Most rapes happen when things go too far, it is still rape.
I would not be comfortable calling the south african police either in her position. But that might just be my skewed view of that region of the world.

Yes, but having a shower with someone you don't know in a hostel? Because that's where she was...she'd left her apartment because apparently she'd been sick a couple days and had cold water in her place, went to this other place, where apparently she was hit on by a guy who she wasn't interested in.  She started kissing this dude, then decided to go take a shower with him.  Still isn't consenting to sex...I guess.  On the other hand, it wasn't a friend.  Should probably look into the facts before drawing conclusions.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Raze said:
A bit of advice: There's a simple way to avoid ever being accused of rape - don't get involved with girls. If you're not in a situation that can be considered assault, you have nothing to fear. In fact, avoiding relationships is best for gamers, because if you get in a relationship and married, and have kids, your budget for games disappears and your time to play games disappears. Your "hardcore gamer" status will become "casual" to barely existent. ;)

Or you could do what I do and just not rape people. It's just as simple. Know what rape is and then just don't do it. If you don't rape people then you have nothing to fear. Like 99.99% of sexually active guys who don't commit sexual crimes are never falsely accused of commiting sexual crimes. People in this thread are acting like there is some rapeconspirasy against men or something. Like being falsely accused of rape is some common occurrence. It's not.

lol, where'd you pull that statistic from?  Imright.com, or through extensive facebook and wikipedia research?  Or straight out of the air?    Given the sheer volume of cases (well over 100) against Universities in the US (this is since the Dept. of Education head sent the 'Dear Colleague' memo's to Colleges, regarding Sexual Assault/Rape being a civil rights violation under Title IX), and just from the ones that've been overturned thus far, that claim is false.

And since I actually look into things, here's some facts for you, feminists themselves love to use 2% (blows your statement right out of the water, on it's own) as their percentage, however their number is not draw from any real investigation covering the country.  And apparently MRA's like to use the number 41% which is actually based on a real study, though there are serious flaws with it (it only covered a small town in NY)

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-09-19/how-many-rape-reports-are-false

So, basically we know it's more than 2% and it's likely that it's less than 41%, however, it's not as easy to figure out as one might think due to the difficulty in uncovering the truth in rape cases, as well as victims withdrawing complaints, police not being able to determine whether a rape has occurred due to lack of evidence, and then on the other side when we find out a rape actually didn't occur and the accused is lying (UVA, Brian Banks, Duke Lacrosse team, Mattress Girl etc....).  The really truly horrible thing is that even when it's discovered that a person is lying about rape, people still defend them as survivors.  Like NOW (National Organization of Women), still sticking by 'Jackie' in the UVA Rape Hoax (Rolling Stone article).   What a disgusting group of people.

It's really quite fascinating (and disturbing) how little concern there is for individuals falsely accused of rape.  It really is.  Their lives are basically over, any hope for a social life, a family, a job, an education...pretty much right out the window.  And this is by design, of course.  The design is, because some feel that regrettable sex is rape, and that because the cops won't address their drunken escapades (obviously not talking about actual rape here), it's quite ok to go on social media, violate privacy laws/rules, and throw accusations out there that even the police couldn't verify.  Nevermind that some occur even when the SCHOOLS couldn't verify it.  Which is REALLY concerning.  Take Columbia University and Emma Sulkowicz for example.  She was turned down by 3 police investigators, the DA, AND lost the case at school (schools only need a 50.01% certainty that sexual misconduct took place...preponderance of the evidence, is what it's called), and she STILL broke the privacy rules she's bound by.  She leaked HER victims name online, then the school got involved in publicly tarnishing this kids name (even after the school itself had deemed no violation had occurred), and now...well, if I were Columbia I'd be extremely concerned about how much money from their endowment they'll be paying to Paul in his lawsuit.  I sincerely hope he's awarded it all.  Would be great to see an entire University toppled because of this horrific shitshow.

Here's a piece by Cathy Young regarding the issue of false rape accusations:

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2014/09/false_rape_accusations_why_must_be_pretend_they_never_happen.html

Rape is bad, and any number over 0 is a bad thing.  Likewise, falsely accusing people of rape is bad, and any number over 0 is bad.  I don't give a flying fuck how small those numbers are, they destroy fucking lives and should be taken very seriously.  Jackie, Emma Sulcowicz and that chick who falsely accused Brian Banks, should all be in jail, for a very, very long time.  They not only destroyed innocent peoples lives, but the lies they told have hurt the fight for other REAL victims.  It is no justice, that they get to walk free after doing so very much damage.

SvennoJ said:
DonFerrari said:

Didn't disagree on it, just said that considering the level of hormones and reduced analytical capabilities even if someone had proof that asked to stop and the other kept going I doubt any jury would convict the first as a rapist. It isn't a grey area, but it's medical fact that the person isn't on a situation that he can properly judge his actions.

Maybe that person should not have sex if he/she can't control his/her hormones. That temporary insanity is used for murder cases is bad enough, now also for rape cases? Are people really that bad at controlling their hormones.
Interestingly killing your rapist is sometimes considered justifiable homicide, if you kill the person after the rape has initiated yet before it is over... How the heck do you proof that.

Yes, controlling hormones... are you for real? Controlling instincts I'm aware of, but how do your hormones? Do you ask your brain to send other hormones?

Moronic is to start sex thinking about when to stop it to upset your partner and perhaps see if he will agree or not with the stoppage.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

SpokenTruth said:
DonFerrari said:
SpokenTruth said:

There actually have been convictions.  Even spouses themselves have had legal matters taken when consent was given and then withdrawn during sex or consent for A was given but not B and he or she did B anyway. 

Take a look at this case file.

"There have been cases" equal to "have been several other cases that don't". But ok I accept it isn't impossible (because nothing is impossible). But before I open the case file, does it reflect a case where the guy where close to cum and the other person said stop and he kept going (not beating up or things like that)??

And since there are even cases of people that report rape even though it was 100% consensual from begining to end, as I said, nothing is impossible.

It's a research document about withdrawing consent after intercourse has begun that has several individual cases in it.

Ok, any case that is close enough to mine or do you want me to dig though all your evidence for you?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
SvennoJ said:
DonFerrari said:

Didn't disagree on it, just said that considering the level of hormones and reduced analytical capabilities even if someone had proof that asked to stop and the other kept going I doubt any jury would convict the first as a rapist. It isn't a grey area, but it's medical fact that the person isn't on a situation that he can properly judge his actions.

Maybe that person should not have sex if he/she can't control his/her hormones. That temporary insanity is used for murder cases is bad enough, now also for rape cases? Are people really that bad at controlling their hormones.
Interestingly killing your rapist is sometimes considered justifiable homicide, if you kill the person after the rape has initiated yet before it is over... How the heck do you proof that.

Yes, controlling hormones... are you for real? Controlling instincts I'm aware of, but how do your hormones? Do you ask your brain to send other hormones?

Moronic is to start sex thinking about when to stop it to upset your partner and perhaps see if he will agree or not with the stoppage.

Controlling your actions I mean of course. Self control. Mornonic is to keep going if your partner says it hurts.

Around the Network
mornelithe said:
SvennoJ said:
only777 said:

Girl kisses guy, gets naked with guy, has shower with guy. Then says she was raped by guy.

Has device that can phone police. Goes on Instagram instead.  

Seems legit.

I'm not sure what you are insinuating.  Having a shower with a friend is not consenting to sex. Most rapes happen when things go too far, it is still rape.
I would not be comfortable calling the south african police either in her position. But that might just be my skewed view of that region of the world.

Yes, but having a shower with someone you don't know in a hostel? Because that's where she was...she'd left her apartment because apparently she'd been sick a couple days and had cold water in her place, went to this other place, where apparently she was hit on by a guy who she wasn't interested in.  She started kissing this dude, then decided to go take a shower with him.  Still isn't consenting to sex...I guess.  On the other hand, it wasn't a friend.  Should probably look into the facts before drawing conclusions.

Should probably read the rest of the thread before posting :p
Yeah I saw the facts afterwards, she did go to the police, it was not the friend she agreed to go in the shower with but some other guy.
The way she acted and handled what happened makes her a very bad role model for anti rape activist. Some of the comments she invited are even worse.

SvennoJ said:
mornelithe said:

Should probably read the rest of the thread before posting :p
Yeah I saw the facts afterwards, she did go to the police, it was not the friend she agreed to go in the shower with but some other guy.
The way she acted and handled what happened makes her a very bad role model for anti rape activist. Some of the comments she invited are even worse.

See, I don't know what actually happened.  And I feel that the volume of high profile cases that turned out false, is giving me pause everytime I see one of these situations arise now (which really disgusts me...not going to lie, it makes me very angry at the people who are abusing the system).  I Think the fact that she live tweeted it, before going to the police really bothers me.  But, coming from the US, there's a history of false accusations leading to horrible things here (post slavery accusations against black people by white people, usually ended up in lynching and other horrific shit).

That's the problem though, when you put this stuff online first, without actually going through the legal system, you invite wholesale mob justice.    And humans know, that's just not how justice is served, and usually results in high volumes of collateral damage (nevermind if the accusation is false).  The concept of innocent until proven guilty isn't a patriarchal protection to keep rapists out of jail, it's there for a very good reason.  For one, it's almost always impossible to disprove a negative (A common request when having a theoligical debate...prove God isn't real...well, you haven't actually proven any God is, so yeah..no). Secondly, if youre populace ingrains in themselves innocent until proven guilty, you've less of a chance for mob rule to break out, thirdly, it protects the identify of the victim and the accused.  This prevents a whole slew of issues from occuring such as the mob mentality as described above, it also keeps someone who's very likely in a vulnerable position (rape/sexual assault victim) from the limelight which is usually not where they want to be.

There are reasons the criminal justice system has been setup the way it is, these issues have far wider implications than just the two people involved, and I really wish people would be more aware of that before automatically assuming guilt (or innocence), when the facts haven't even begun to be collected yet.  At this point it's 1 persons word against...nobody, because the other person hasn't even been given a chance to tell their side of the story.  And yes, it's important to hear both sides of it.

If you need another example of why mob rule is bad, just look at:

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/10/india-muslim-hindu-beef-akhlaq/409405/

or that poor woman in Afghanistan who was accused of burning pages from the Quran, who was beaten and kicked, thrown off a bridge, the body set on fire, and then thrown in a river.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/06/asia/afghanistan-woman-killed/

This is why you don't allow mobs to mete out justice.  Because mobs are fucking crazy, and while doing so online may not result in the exact same consequences (it can), it's still catering to mob justice which more often than not, gets it wrong.

SuperNova said:
It may look dodgy, especially seeing that she is an anti rape activist, but it's very possible that this is exactly what happened.

I know people who have been raped and in none of those cases was it a total stranger. They were all friends or acquaintances. In one case a very long time friend. This lines up with general rape statistics as well.

No, kissing and getting into a shower with someone is not an invitation for sex or implied consent. Also it doesn't matter if the other peron is a stranger, friend, partner or spouse. It is consent to a shower, nothing more, nothing less.

Also, to the people saying it's unthinkable for someone to share a shower and not want to have sex, it's not. I've done it many times, for various reasons. I would have been horrified if one of my partners had tried to force themselves on me.
Maybe she just wanted to get clean and it seemed practical at the time, maybe she had a certain innocence and level of trust about sharing a shower with this person, maybe she wanted the comfort and intimacy of a shared shower, but in no way wanted sex.

And even if she might have wanted sex before things got serious and changed her mind, that's her right. People are allowed to change their minds, that does not give you permission to rape them.

Simple rule, if someone says 'No', stop. If someone seems uncomfortable , not into it, or in pain, stop and ask them if they're all right and if you should stop.
That should not be too much to ask of anyone you're sharing that level of intimacy with.

I respectfully disagree that under the scenario you describe, sex is not implied. People are not mind readers and can only go by signals, body language and or words. With that said,  I do agree that if at any point she said no or stop then it should have been the end of the act.

As things stand though it is best not to speculate until the investigation is done and the facts of the matter come to light.

Here's another source from the original alleged occurance:

http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/social/amber-amour-liveblogged-her-alleged-rape-ordeal-on-instagram-to-encourage-women-to-speak-out/news-story/7293d5f9923f0bc599c5c05f18906ed3

"In a harrowing group of messages, the New York anti-rape campaigner said she was attacked by ‘Shakir’ after agreeing to have a shower with him, because the water in her own room was cold."

“I went back to my old hostel to leave a note for a friend, Nick. There was another guy there, Shakir, who was desperately trying to get with me."

“I kissed him once but he seemed drunk so I told him it was bad timing, I had already met someone. Before heading out, I went upstairs to say hi to one more friend, Clyde from the states. “Shakir followed me upstairs and said he was going to take a shower."

“He invited me to join. I said yes because the water at my current hostel is pretty cold and after 2 days of being sick, I just really wanted a hot shower. As soon as I got in the bathroom, he forced me to my knees. I said ‘stop!’, but he just got more violent.”

In short, she willingly kissed a drunk guy who desperately wanted to hookup with her, agreed to take a shower with him, and the rest happens. If Clyde, her friend, was actually there, why didn't she ask to use his shower instead taking a shower with a drunk stranger?

Anyone else sense the lack of basic reasoning in the choices that were made? Call me a cynic but I still think it never actually happened and it was staged for media propaganda.

bunchanumbers said:
Guys are going to have to start walking around with paper contracts that show that the sex is consented. Not to mention having witnesses and notaries and lawyers to verify the paper. Its pretty much the only way to prevent someone from claiming that they were raped. Even then I'm betting that there are people who will still claim as such. At this point we'll need to see signed contracts, lawyer and judge approval, and trauma therapists on standby in case things go wrong.

If you've seen this season of South Park, they literally do that, get signed consent forms =D

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com