By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I have a feeling that Nintendo cancelled Metroid: Federation Force, Project Robot, Project Guard, Lost Reavers (in the West), Genei Ibun Roku (in the West)

Have Nintendo cancelled a game because it sold bad in Japan?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

I really hope that project guard didn't get cancelled. It looked really promising and had some potential to be something good. I'll be really sad if SMTXFE got cancelled. Its one of those games that I'll buy day 1. I doubt that one is cancelled. It should sell better in the west.

Genei Ibun Roku didn't bomb hard. Considering they only shipped around 100,000 units, I doubt Nintendo thought it would be a hit.

XanderXT said:
Genei Ibun Roku didn't bomb hard. Considering they only shipped around 100,000 units, I doubt Nintrndo thought this would be a hit.

It sold less than average Vita "magic girls" game.

Project Robot and Guard may have been fused into other game (probably StarFox). Nintendo is probably retooling MP FF, but it won't be cancelled. And SMTxFE is still one of the biggest WiiU games for 2016, the biggest one for the JRPG crowd outside of Zelda U, it will come eventually.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Boberkun said:
XanderXT said:
Genei Ibun Roku didn't bomb hard. Considering they only shipped around 100,000 units, I doubt Nintrndo thought this would be a hit.

And? The Vita is the console for those games. If it was a bomb, it would have sold around 5,000.

Project Guard is either in development at Platinum as a seperate game, or has been incorporated into Star Fox Zero, judging by these comments at E3.

Both Guard and Giant Robot were incredibly early prototypes, as Star Fox was, at E3 2014. That kind of basic, conceptual build has never really been shown to the public, let alone been played by journalists, so it's not surprising how rough that all looked. Giant Robot may yet appear as another filler title under a different name, or as an eShop only game. 

Genei Ibun Roku won't be cancelled, I expect Nintendo had very low sales expectations for this game and budgeted accordingly. Perhaps they'll do what they've done with other niche releases, and have the standard game eShop only, with a special edition physical release. Lost Reavers I'm a lot less sure on, but we may yet see it launch on eShop in the West, I think it's less likely than Genei Ibun Roku though.

Basically I think most of these Wii U games will still come because Nintendo need as much software as they can get on Wii U. For titles already completed and launched in Japan, if they can keep localisation and distribution costs down, it doesn't make any sense for Nintendo to with-hold them in the West, even if they're digital only, it's still much needed revenue coming from Wii U. 

Finally Federation Force won't be cancelled because of negative fan feedback. Again, 3DS has very few Nintendo titles in the pipeline, so one of the handful left won't be cancelled. It's possible there'll be a delay, and perhaps they'll drop the "Metroid Prime" brand, but I highly doubt Nintendo will cancel the game. They'll trust Next Level and their publishing overisght to do a good job.

Boberkun said:
XanderXT said:

To be fair, Super Special Magic Girl My Little Sister's Happy Birthday is basically Japan's equivalent to the West's Bald Space Marine Shooter, and Vita is a fairly lucrative platform for the genre.

Project Robot and Project Guard were not really games. They were the way Nintendo found to showcase what was possible to do with the gamepad. But yeah, I wish Metroid would be cancelled, but Nintendo is stubborn. They will release it despite the bad reception at e3.

Project Guard and such weren't games they were concepts and were used in SF0.