By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I have a feeling that Nintendo cancelled Metroid: Federation Force, Project Robot, Project Guard, Lost Reavers (in the West), Genei Ibun Roku (in the West)

Curmudgeon said:

Tropical Freeze was not what most gamers wanted from Retro on Wii U, as evidenced by the widespread disappointment when it was revealed.

As for Federation Force, I think people are well within their rights to be annoyed that it's using the Metroid Prime name to sell what looks like a thoroughly mediocre game with none of the hallmarks of the Trilogy it is named after.

I don't think this disapointment was as widespread as you claim, more an example of a very vocal fanbase. I could also point to the many people on the internet who claim Tropical Freeze is one of their favorite Wii U games. Besides, Donkey Kong is a much more popular franchise than Metroid. Despite the very small userbase of the Wii U Tropical Freeze has outsold Prime 2. When you include digital sales it will have outsold Other M and is on it's way to outsell Super Metroid. I think it has pretty decent legs so it can climb pretty close to Prime 3 as well.

Also, of course people have the right to be annoyed, I never claimed they don't.  If you think it's a mediocre game that's fine by me. All I'm saying is that I think a lot of people are not prepared to judge federation Force on it's own merits (whether it has any is subjective and besides the point), rather than what it represents. 

The disappointment was so high that Nintendo actually put out a video justifying why they chose to make it.

And actually I love Tropical Freeze to bits. But I can set that aside and look at what the wider reaction was, just as I can set aside my loathing of GTA and acknowledge its popularity.

Around the Network

Metroid is being redone, with better/less goofy graphics for a NX launch title.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.