By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What if Nintendo Doesn't Comeback?

Can Nintendo Dominate

It will Beat the Xbox One 161 32.66%

It will Beat X1 and PS4 59 11.97%

It will beat PS4 but not ... 53 10.75%

See Results 220 44.62%

Total:493

They´ll probably count nx handheld and console together. I ´d say it´s granted nx will beat xbone.
I kinda wish it failed and nintendo released their games on pc though.
I´d be fine buying a console if there were more nintendo games I cared for, but it´s not the case.

Around the Network
Cloudman said:
wombat123 said:
Cloudman said:
I think Ninten can compete still in the console space. Heck, I think they can dominate the space once again. They've done it once in one of their bleaker moments, so I don't see it in the realm of impossible. It all depends on what they do and if it is a great new idea. I think Ninten's still got it in them. : )

However, if it comes to the worst, I think they can at least live strictly handhelds. Ninten is excellent at that and there is still a place for dedicated portable consoles in the market. It'll be great if they still stick around with hardware as well. They're the ones pushing more to take risks and try new innovative things in the console space. Would be bad to lose that. : X

Yup.  In fact, I see the NX less as the premature end of the Wii U than as the natural new cycle for their handhelds with Nintendo attempting to salvage their console market by combining the two.   That's why when people say "oh, the NX can't compete with the PS4/xbox one", it's like they're forgetting that (from what we know) the NX is probably a handheld as well -- a market that Nintendo is still doing well in.

I wonder. If the NX really is both a console and a handheld, would it still be considered competing against Sony and MS...? I guess they would only compare the console half of it.

Depends.  If the NX doesn't do well, Sony/Microsoft fanboys will say yes -- it is directly competing.   If the NX does well, they'll give complete credit to the handheld portion and rationalize that it's because Nintendo doesn't have any competition in that market.  Personally I think a unified library would make a Nintendo handheld or console successful because a lot of Nintendo fans (especially this generation) have been longing for one Nintendo device that had access to Nintendo's complete library.

So what exactly is considered a comeback?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Console gaming would for ever be lost in an ocean of suck.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Seeing how there are at least 15 million Nintendo fans on this site I don't think they will have any trouble to at least reach Wii U numbers with the NX.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
So what exactly is considered a comeback?

Well, a succuesful competitive console.   So like ifthe NX only does Wii U numbers, that is a failure. If it can compete with Year on Year sales of say the Xbox One (a console that should be considered a success) then it has made a console comeback.  The second part asks what Nintendo should do if a console comback is not in the cards.  Thats how we got into the mobile talk. 

I don't think they will have a Wii like success again, but I don't think they will die out that quick.

Nintendo has a very hardcore and loyal fanbase that even with small number of console sales buy a lot of games and now Amiibos. They have some of the greatest selling franchises with legs some games only wish they had and last but not least, they always offer something different to the other consoles.

The next console may sell 15-20 million before they release another console, but Nintendo like Apple have often gone with less power and development costs to make more money. They have billions in the bank and as long as they have that, I think they can keep going making their billions with only 15-20 million console sales per Nintendo generation.

If they fail I think they can go 3Rd party and be very profitable.

Pros:
1. No R&D hardware costs
2. Release their software to a much bigger audience on PC/XBOX/PS
3. Their dedicated fans who used to play on WiiU / NDS will play there
4. Release their handheld games on mobile
5. Develope proper FTP versions of their mobile IPs to complement the premium versions

With this model I struggle to see them not being financially sound going forward.

No worries, NX handheld will save Nintendo's ass!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

wombat123 said:
Cloudman said:

I wonder. If the NX really is both a console and a handheld, would it still be considered competing against Sony and MS...? I guess they would only compare the console half of it.

Depends.  If the NX doesn't do well, Sony/Microsoft fanboys will say yes -- it is directly competing.   If the NX does well, they'll give complete credit to the handheld portion and rationalize that it's because Nintendo doesn't have any competition in that market.  Personally I think a unified library would make a Nintendo handheld or console successful because a lot of Nintendo fans (especially this generation) have been longing for one Nintendo device that had access to Nintendo's complete library.

Agree completely. If the NX has a gamepad that can be taken anywhere, and unifies the home and handheld console library it would be unstoppable I think.