By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What if Nintendo Doesn't Comeback?

Can Nintendo Dominate

It will Beat the Xbox One 161 32.66%

It will Beat X1 and PS4 59 11.97%

It will beat PS4 but not ... 53 10.75%

See Results 220 44.62%

Total:493
zorg1000 said:
oniyide said:
zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

You forgot Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, Spyro the Dragon, Croc. You know, family friendly cartoon mascots that were front and centre on PS1 but relegated to the back seat or just plain abandoned on PS4, cos they don't appeal to today's gamers they way they did to the kids of the 90s.

Knack, Tearaway, LittleBigPlanet, Dreams........Sony in 1995 isn't all that different from Sony in 2015.

None of those games were given anywhere near the prominence that 90s Sony gave Crash or Spyro.

Knack was one of two 1st party launch titles, LittleBigPlanet 3 was the only 1st party holiday title in 2014, Ratchet & Clank is releasing this Spring with a THEATRICAL MOVIE to go along with it. Plus there is also Skylanders, Minecraft, Disney Infinity, various Lego titles.

Ur trying so hard to not admit ur wrong. Playstation in 1995 & Playstation in 2015 are very similar in almost every aspect.

what he is trying to say is that those titles you mentioned arent even close to the relevance as the ones in 95 and they dont get the push now that those ones in 95 got either. Knack flopped, LBP3 flopped. R&C sales dont do original Crash Bandicoot numbers. Skylanders dont do that much at least no on Sony systems. same with Disney Infinity. Lego does well but even then that is more of the license side doign the work (the actual original Lego title doesnt do near as well, looking at you Lego City stories) Minecraft is the only one really killing. Hell Sony themselves push Uncharted series now like they pushed Crash back in the day, two very different genres.

Overall, Playstation & Playstation 4 are aimed at primarily the same demographics in terms of marketing & types of games. That's the whole point, he's the one that keeps trying to deflect the conversation from its original point.

With some adjustments I would say, but generally yes ... because if it ain't broke ... why fix it? They have a formula that simply works very well. 

But I do think you're not giving Sony as much credit as they might deserve too. 

This (their holiday 2015 commercial):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mByznNYCWTY

Is considerably more sophisticated and more appealling to a 20/30 year old than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl4yAJSXxiA

Which is 90s-overload, lol. 90s Sony I would say actually was more like Sega, they basically just copied Sega's concept of marketing to the 90s MTV generation, which was a total revolution in game marketing. 

Over the years, Sony has evolved the formula a bit and made it less "for teenagers only" and more of "an adult with a job enjoying gaming is nothing weird". 

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

No, they are not. PS4 skews considerably older than PS1. Back in the 90s, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro were front and centre. Now it's Uncharted and The Last of Us.

So ur just going to go back to ignoring the list of teenage/adult aimed games from a few posts back?

I'm not ignoring them, they just don't change that 90s Sony put a higher priority on cartoon mascots. Knack and LBP3 were discreet farts compared to the importance given to Crash/Spyro.

Crash/Spyro kinda needed to be around in the mid-90s because gaming was still a fairly kid-centric business even though Sony for the time was skewing older. But they still needed an answer to Mario and Sonic.

In the PS2 era, they kinda shook that off, and you see Crash replaced with Jak & Daxster, which is far less cartoony than Crash, but still very teenager-centric.

With PS3 you see them shake even J&D with Uncharted as their go to identity brand, which is a full on break from furry animals and fantasy, and then The Last of Us pushes that even further.

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

So ur just going to go back to ignoring the list of teenage/adult aimed games from a few posts back?

I'm not ignoring them, they just don't change that 90s Sony put a higher priority on cartoon mascots. Knack and LBP3 were discreet farts compared to the importance given to Crash/Spyro.

And having 2 big kid-friendly franchises in the 90s doesn't change the fact that Playstation in 1995 & Playstation in 2015 are not significantly different in terms of marketing & the types of games that people buy the console for.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Soundwave said:

With some adjustments I would say, but generally yes ... because if it ain't broke ... why fix it? They have a formula that simply works very well. 

Idk why u keep bringing that aspect up, I have never once said Sony should or needs to change this, it has obviously worked very well for the better part of 20 years now, but it has nothing at all to do with what I'm saying.

My whole entire point is that it's a contradiction to say Nintendo is failing because they are stuck in 1995 since Playstation is doing great by sticking to primarily the same formula they did in 1995. Being stuck in 1995 is not Nintendo's problem, poorly designed hardware, insufficient software support, lack of a focused marketing direction, etc. are Nintendo's problems.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

And having 2 big kid-friendly franchises in the 90s doesn't change the fact that Playstation in 1995 & Playstation in 2015 are not significantly different in terms of marketing & the types of games that people buy the console for.

Were you gaming back when the PS1 ruled the roost? PS4 skews considerably older, cos the market now is considerably older.

Since you've already showed displeasure at the thought of Nintendo changing with the times, I surmise that you are fighting tooth and nail over this one detail because it angers you to see Nintendo criticized for their failure to adapt.

Double post

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

Were you gaming back when the PS1 ruled the roost? PS4 skews considerably older, cos the market now is considerably older.

Since you've already showed displeasure at the thought of Nintendo changing with the times, I surmise that you are fighting tooth and nail over this one detail because it angers you to see Nintendo criticized for their failure to adapt.

Did any currently living person fight in the American Civil War? No, but that doesn't stop millions of people from knowing what happened, there is this little thing called documented history meaning people don't have to personally experience something to know what happened. The beginnings of PS1 are well documented and it's a fact that Sony's main focus was on marketing to an older audience than the competitors. Maybe in Australia where ur from, PS1 was primarily aimed at kids but in America & Europe it was heavily aimed at teens & young adults.

Lol I have no problem with Nintendo adapting or receiving criticism, the only thing I ever said was that ur original statement is a contradiction, which it is. This whole stupid argument would have ended long ago if u simply said something like, "ya, my 1995 comparison wasn't very accurate" nobody would think less of u for admitting u were wrong.

Maybe the console market is dead for them. Who knows. But whatever happens, they will make games, they have Pokemon, Mario Kart, Mario, Zelda, and they still know how to make games. They'll always sell shit tons of games, if the support changes, who cares?

Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:
oniyide said:
zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

what he is trying to say is that those titles you mentioned arent even close to the relevance as the ones in 95 and they dont get the push now that those ones in 95 got either. Knack flopped, LBP3 flopped. R&C sales dont do original Crash Bandicoot numbers. Skylanders dont do that much at least no on Sony systems. same with Disney Infinity. Lego does well but even then that is more of the license side doign the work (the actual original Lego title doesnt do near as well, looking at you Lego City stories) Minecraft is the only one really killing. Hell Sony themselves push Uncharted series now like they pushed Crash back in the day, two very different genres.

Overall, Playstation & Playstation 4 are aimed at primarily the same demographics in terms of marketing & types of games. That's the whole point, he's the one that keeps trying to deflect the conversation from its original point.

But I do think you're not giving Sony as much credit as they might deserve too. 

This (their holiday 2015 commercial):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mByznNYCWTY

Is considerably more sophisticated and more appealling to a 20/30 year old than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl4yAJSXxiA

Which is 90s-overload, lol. 90s Sony I would say actually was more like Sega, they basically just copied Sega's concept of marketing to the 90s MTV generation, which was a total revolution in game marketing. 

Over the years, Sony has evolved the formula a bit and made it less "for teenagers only" and more of "an adult with a job enjoying gaming is nothing weird". 

The Playstation brand is pretty much the jack of all trades, they exist in that weird middle where they can really sway in either direction and not get too lost. Thats probably why there consoles do as well as they do, even the PS3 didnt do to bad in the end (ironically when they tried to do too much initially, they sufferered)