By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What if Nintendo Doesn't Comeback?

Can Nintendo Dominate

It will Beat the Xbox One 161 32.66%

It will Beat X1 and PS4 59 11.97%

It will beat PS4 but not ... 53 10.75%

See Results 220 44.62%

Total:493
zorg1000 said:
oniyide said:

The sad thing is Ninty was doing something just like this with N64...how that turned out? What you're saying makes sense and maybe i have less faith in Ninty than you do, but they dont have it in them to do this again. I think their pride will never allow them to let a western studio (cause lets be real those are the guys that are experts at these T-M rated FPS shotter things) to ever get too popular to give them leeway to really go the distance. Thats not even a Ninty issue, Square Enix is kinda like it too.  I hope im wrong.

It actually worked out pretty well for Nintendo, the drop from SNES to N64 sales was pretty miniscule outside of Japan despite the massive drop in 3rd party support.

SNES sales outside of Japan=32 million

N64 sales outside of Japan=28 million

N64 & SNES software sales are also pretty even outside of Japan with a much higher percentage of sales coming from Nintendo-published titles on N64.

Over 90% of the decline from SNES to N64 happened in Japan due to the RPG & fighting markets migrating from SNES to Playstation. And since my post was specifically on how to attract a western audience, the Japanese market is irrelevant to what I was discussing.

why cherry pick sales? WW they took a hit. thats whats important. Yes becasue Ninty actually had a library that was actual diverse back then. If its irrelvevant why bring it up? I didnt bring them up. And if it really worked out for them we wouldnt even be having this discussion, if it really worked out why did they sell Rare?

Around the Network
oniyide said:
zorg1000 said:

It actually worked out pretty well for Nintendo, the drop from SNES to N64 sales was pretty miniscule outside of Japan despite the massive drop in 3rd party support.

N64 & SNES software sales are also pretty even outside of Japan with a much higher percentage of sales coming from Nintendo-published titles on N64.

Over 90% of the decline from SNES to N64 happened in Japan due to the RPG & fighting markets migrating from SNES to Playstation. And since my post was specifically on how to attract a western audience, the Japanese market is irrelevant to what I was discussing.

why cherry pick sales? WW they took a hit. thats whats important. Yes becasue Ninty actually had a library that was actual diverse back then. If its irrelvevant why bring it up? I didnt bring them up. And if it really worked out for them we wouldnt even be having this discussion, if it really worked out why did they sell Rare?

Its not cherry picking, I was talking about how to improve their image in the west so the Japanese market is irrelevant to what I said. Their western focused software strategy had literally 0% to do with the decline from SNES to N64 and was 100% due to losing out on Japanese-centric genres to Sony by going with cartridges over CDs. Do u understand now?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Well, if the latest rumors are correct, the NX might be Nintendo's dive into third party support or something more. By making itself compatible with other consoles out there, PC, and smart devices, NX may be fail proof.

I don't get the point of this thread.

There are more Nintendo units (3DS + Wii U) than MS or Sony.

Blouge said:
I don't get the point of this thread.

There are more Nintendo units (3DS + Wii U) than MS or Sony.

The point was to see if people wanted Nintendo to shift to 3rd party support, mobile or other if the NX failed.    I kinda lost track of the thread a few hundred posts ago.    It wasn't meant to be a doom thread.  The whole point was to ask folks what they would like to see Nintendo doing.  Personally, I think they would make a world class third party.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
zorg1000 said:

I just think Nintendo (NOJ in particular) suffers a lot from their hubris.  From what I know, they've never actually failed financially until this gen -- even in the Gamecube era they were still doing well so they never had to prioritize diversify in their software or even really depend on anyone other than themselves.  This gen is the first time I've seen them fail so badly that they took losses in multiple years (something Nintendo never does) and I just hope that it was a huge wake-up call to those at Nintendo that they can no longer hope to maintain the type of profits they're accustomed to while continuing to stubbornly try and do things their own specific way with little to no help.  All that being said, it's ironic that Nintendo fancies themselves as the Disney of video games when Disney's biggest strength is in their diversification.

zorg1000 said:
oniyide said:

Its not cherry picking, I was talking about how to improve their image in the west so the Japanese market is irrelevant to what I said. Their western focused software strategy had literally 0% to do with the decline from SNES to N64 and was 100% due to losing out on Japanese-centric genres to Sony by going with cartridges over CDs. Do u understand now?

i understand that, but to improve there image in the west they actually have to get western games. Adding more of the same is not going to help there image.

wombat123 said:
oniyide said:
zorg1000 said:

I just think Nintendo (NOJ in particular) suffers a lot from their hubris.  From what I know, they've never actually failed financially until this gen -- even in the Gamecube era they were still doing well so they never had to prioritize diversify in their software or even really depend on anyone other than themselves.  This gen is the first time I've seen them fail so badly that they took losses in multiple years (something Nintendo never does) and I just hope that it was a huge wake-up call to those at Nintendo that they can no longer hope to maintain the type of profits they're accustomed to while continuing to stubbornly try and do things their own specific way with little to no help.  All that being said, it's ironic that Nintendo fancies themselves as the Disney of video games when Disney's biggest strength is in their diversification.

This, they wish they were the Disney of video games, hell outside of a popular mascot Sony probably has that. They made money in GC era cause GBA helped them.

oniyide said:
zorg1000 said:

i understand that, but to improve there image in the west they actually have to get western games. Adding more of the same is not going to help there image.

What the fuck are you talking about, that makes absolutely no sense to what u or I previously said. Ur really going to need to elaborate and explain how that's relevant to our previous posts.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
oniyide said:

What the fuck are you talking about, that makes absolutely no sense to what u or I previously said. Ur really going to need to elaborate and explain how that's relevant to our previous posts.

whats not to understand to improve there standing in the west they would need the games that are popular in the west (at least the home console) simple