By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - It's November 21st 2016. The NX is out and more powerful than the PS4. Are 3rd parties on board?

3rd party multiplats

Support the NX 224 41.87%

Ignore the NX 311 58.13%

Total:535
Conina said:
potato_hamster said:

Assassin's creed III and Black Ops 2 only sold 350,000, and publishers make, on average about $18 - $25 per copy solid. Which means at maximum $1 million income based on sales for the publishers of these games.

... What's 1,000,000 - 3,000,000?

Ohh. Ohh right. That would be millions of dollars in losses.

350,000 x $18 = 6.3 million dollar

Scratch what I said. I made a dumb.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
Conina said:

Scratch what I said. I made a dumb.

So it's possible those games made a little profit or at least broke even?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Wyrdness said:
midrange said:

I did read you're comments. You asked why Nintendo should strive to help third party companies if they don't try. I responded by saying third party companies do try but even then, Nintendo doesn't try (and also gave examples). Apparently I was wrong to do so because not agreeing with you makes me come off as "desperate." 

you can't just find a "flaw" to every single third party game. for you, a game is either "late" or "niche" or "missing content." These flaws are present in all third party everywhere but only the wii u is suffering major third party issues.

the issue, they don't properly support third party games (regardless of the quality of games)

You didn't read the post then because most of the questions you asked were already answered, the post flat out explained that for one the's an issue with the demographic being different from what third parties deal with which also touched on market approach, third party effort was only part of the post which both you and that other guy only focused on with out reading the rest of the post. The third party titles Nintendo had a hand in did better then all the others combined and I don't care for your "but but 1m isn't..." talk either. If these games are your idea of effort then you have low low standards, it's not nitpicking these are significant flaws in the handling of the games that sent a negative message to the userbase, ZombiU highlighted the same result happens with other userbases when the same wayward handling is apparent.

I already highlighted why you came across as desperate if you didn't read the prior posts properly that's not my concern or problem because as that post highlighted the issue with the demographic, market approach and third party effort combined is something that no matter how hard Nintendo pushes it won't change a thing. This means that the demographic has to change where they not only buy the type of mainstream games third parties put out but by them with in the first few weeks and every year or the market approach of these third parties has to change were they drop the AAA approach and be more efficient.

Third party effort can always improve but as I mentioned in the post you didn't read properly they have to go all in like they do with other userbases and fully commit if they want positive results, the demographic here are never going to fall for half assed attempts at testing the waters they catch on to that quickly. Nintendo won't support these third parties as a result of all of the above because the's a lot that's out of their hands and will instead stick to second party deals because that way the developer is fully commited then and tbh a unified library and second party deals is the most beneficial approach for them.

A few things:

1) as I've said, I've read your post. And I simply don't agree. You mention demographics as an issue, and to that I completely disagree. Given the diversity of games (hardcore deus ex to casual Rayman legends), at least one of those third party games should have hit that demographic and been a success.

2) profit determines success, not sales. Rayman legends could have sold 1 million or 10 million but it's still a failure if it didn't generate profit (which ubisoft said it didnt). same with the other games.

"but but its old better than cod or AC on the wii u..." No one gives a crap. Selling better than crap doesn't mean your game is selling well.

"But it's the third best out of all platforms..." Who cares! It didn't make a profit. Likewise, the fact that a game designed specially for the wii u is anything but first is laughable.

3) yes, I do think these games are of quality, and reviewers agree. Some metacritic scores of the Wii u versions - Rayman (92), NFS (86), deus ex (88). if this is your idea of low effort, than you must be really disappointed with the low effort mario maker (88), mario kart (88) and splatoon (81). The idea that all third parties aren't trying on the wii u is a stupid generalization.

4) Nintendo could have done a lot to make these games successes. Funding is one. Marketing is another. Aid in development is another. Sony and Microsoft do this all the time, and this is why third parties work with them. Not all of them turn out well (such as evolve, dead rising 3, ryse), but the fact that Sony and Microsoft still go all out in helping is what keeps third parties working with them.

we don't know about Nintendo's future (unified library is not gauranteed), but what we can be sure of is that without third party, Nintendo has no chance of beating the competition.

im also going to end this hear before we enter a hateful battle of who can read and who can't.

Thunderbird77 said:
midrange said:

Third party support is not limited to third party ip.

a port coming late should not be an excuse for poor sales. Next gen versions of GTA, last of us, and Destiny sold very well on next gen despite being "late"

The other games listed did not sell well. Rayman and zombiu sold poorly (source: Ubisoft). That was the whole reason for the ports to other consoles.

Marketing and overratedness caused that. Check how late ports of small/medium franchises sell. Check other late ports the ps4 and x1 got, you'll see plenty in the 200-300k range, from games that sold 1-2 million on ps360.

Yes, marketing and overratedness did cause good sales. That's an intentional and valid strategy that Sony did with destiny. Nothing prevented Nintendo from doing the same with third parties

midrange said:
Thunderbird77 said:
midrange said:

a port coming late should not be an excuse for poor sales. Next gen versions of GTA, last of us, and Destiny sold very well on next gen despite being "late"

The other games listed did not sell well. Rayman and zombiu sold poorly (source: Ubisoft). That was the whole reason for the ports to other consoles.

Marketing and overratedness caused that. Check how late ports of small/medium franchises sell. Check other late ports the ps4 and x1 got, you'll see plenty in the 200-300k range, from games that sold 1-2 million on ps360.

Yes, marketing and overratedness did cause good sales. That's an intentional and valid strategy that Sony did with destiny. Nothing prevented Nintendo from doing the same with third parties

Well, they supported and advertised Bayonetta 2, Skylanders and Lego, and it really didn't help that much. And to advertise other 3rd party games, first you need to make sure your version isn't the worst (Batman AO, ACIII-IV, WD...), or at the very least make sure the game works (Sonic Boom was promoted by Nintendo as an exclusive, and look how it all ended up).

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
midrange said:
Thunderbird77 said:
midrange said:

Well, they supported and advertised Bayonetta 2, Skylanders and Lego, and it really didn't help that much. And to advertise other 3rd party games, first you need to make sure your version isn't the worst (Batman AO, ACIII-IV, WD...), or at the very least make sure the game works (Sonic Boom was promoted by Nintendo as an exclusive, and look how it all ended up).

Bayonetta 2 had fantastic support (while also setting up an audience for bayonetta 3). Skylanders exclusive content is also finally a good step in the right direction (although they should have secured skylanders as an exclusive when they had the chance). The problem with both of those is that they are too little too late. Nintendo should have given Rayman, need for speed u, and zombiu the same help and marketing boost that it did for bayonetta 2. That definitely would have generated hype for the Wii u to do substantially better.

To answer your point, it's no shocker that bayo 2 didn't take off (m title on a low selling console with no hype). Same for sonic boom (literally broken mess). Skylanders itself is doing better and better numbers on the Wii u, and it will only grow thanks to the exclusive content

midrange said:

A few things:

1) as I've said, I've read your post. And I simply don't agree. You mention demographics as an issue, and to that I completely disagree. Given the diversity of games (hardcore deus ex to casual Rayman legends), at least one of those third party games should have hit that demographic and been a success.

2) profit determines success, not sales. Rayman legends could have sold 1 million or 10 million but it's still a failure if it didn't generate profit (which ubisoft said it didnt). same with the other games.

"but but its old better than cod or AC on the wii u..." No one gives a crap. Selling better than crap doesn't mean your game is selling well.

"But it's the third best out of all platforms..." Who cares! It didn't make a profit. Likewise, the fact that a game designed specially for the wii u is anything but first is laughable.

3) yes, I do think these games are of quality, and reviewers agree. Some metacritic scores of the Wii u versions - Rayman (92), NFS (86), deus ex (88). if this is your idea of low effort, than you must be really disappointed with the low effort mario maker (88), mario kart (88) and splatoon (81). The idea that all third parties aren't trying on the wii u is a stupid generalization.

4) Nintendo could have done a lot to make these games successes. Funding is one. Marketing is another. Aid in development is another. Sony and Microsoft do this all the time, and this is why third parties work with them. Not all of them turn out well (such as evolve, dead rising 3, ryse), but the fact that Sony and Microsoft still go all out in helping is what keeps third parties working with them.

we don't know about Nintendo's future (unified library is not gauranteed), but what we can be sure of is that without third party, Nintendo has no chance of beating the competition.

im also going to end this hear before we enter a hateful battle of who can read and who can't.

1- Do you not know how demographics work, they're not going to sustain your business approach if your games aren't geared towards them or their gaming habits, I 'm going to dismiss this all together as this point basically adds nothing and is null and void.

2- Profits of third parties is not Nintendo's problem considering the former continue to utilize the cost inefficient AAA approach, if you can not turn a profit at 1m then that's your own problem not the consumer or platform holder, as far as a consumer or platform holder is concerned numbers moved off the shelf is success same shit here I don't care about Ubi's bank. Again the numbers being higher then COD and AC highlight what the demographic prefer if you read the post other then bsing through an argument you'd know that.

I'm going call you out on the whole Rayman Legends bs, you're moving goalposts saying nothing but the top number of sales is all that matters, that's complete garbage and the desperation I was pointing out earlier, all the other platforms have bigger userbases by a large margin it's almost as if you want to ignore common sense here.

3- Then you have low standards because that approach is not acceptable on any platform, to highlight further desperation here on your part is the end of this particular argument, The context is in effort and handling of the games on third party's part, those games were significantly late ports that were also released at a higher price then other versions and to further this point if someone listed those games to say Wii U has good third party games it would be written off by many through out the gaming community. You can dupe yourself into believing it was a good effort while the rest of us will stick to reality.

4- No nothing Nintendo can do will make the demographic buy any of these games, third parties are already fully commited to MS and Sony you don't see them releasing Deus EX a year and a half after release at a higher price on those platforms, they treat the demographic seriously. The demographic are not going to up and buy games that they don't find as interesting nor will they change their gaming habits for their sake.

The idea is not to beat the competition that's the typical illusion forum goers tell themselves, it's to create their own section in the market that's not affected by the mainstream.

Maybe Nintendo should focus the dedicated home NX console that's going to have the big third party games as more of a digital only platform?

That way third parties can make a larger profit margin.

$59.99 for a copy of Call of Duty NX = $48 for the third party, $12 for Nintendo.

If they sell only 350,000 copies of COD NX that comes out to just shy of $17 million in profit.

Lets say they sell another 250,000 of COD Portable NX at $18 profit (retail business model), that's another $5 million in profit.

$23 million in profit from NX ... not bad chunk of change. 

Unifying the platform will help sales, lets not forget.

Soundwave said:

Maybe Nintendo should focus the dedicated home NX console that's going to have the big third party games as more of a digital only platform?

That way third parties can make a larger profit margin.

$59.99 for a copy of Call of Duty NX = $48 for the third party, $12 for Nintendo.

If they sell only 350,000 copies of COD NX that comes out to just shy of $17 million in profit.

Lets say they sell another 250,000 of COD Portable NX at $18 profit (retail business model), that's another $5 million in profit.

$23 million in profit from NX ... not bad chunk of change. 

Unifying the platform will help sales, lets not forget.

There is a real posibility for a digital-only NX, but it won't be the norm. I imagine they will sell it for 50€ less and with double the inner storage, to incentivize customers. But the main models will have an option for physical games (probably cartriges).

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

potato_hamster said:
Thunderbird77 said:
potato_hamster said:

Ubisoft and Activision lost millions of dollars as a result of these ports. Why would they bother even putting in the effort of making these games and losing millions if they didn't legitimately think they had a shot of at least breaking even? Do you think these companies enjoy throwing away millions of dollars? Not try? How about they decided that it was better to not spend good money over bad. I highly doubt a bigger, much more expensive push in marketing, features, price point etc. would have led to sales that would have gotten that added money back.

Source? None? I thought so.

Well I'm just curious how much you think making that game for Wii U cost. I guarantee the development budget alone, based on my experience developing console video games, was at least 2-3 million dollars. (For example, I was once part of a team of 20-25 who ported a PS3 game to the Vita, we had 12 months to do the port, and our contract to the publisher was 2.4 million dolllars). That's not counting marketing, certification with Nintendo, printing and shipping the games etc. These things cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions depending on how much these publishers are willing to be spend. But let's be consertative. Let's say that Assassin's Creed 3 and Black Ops 2 total expense for their publishers was only $3 million.

Assassin's creed III and Black Ops 2 only sold 350,000, and publishers make, on average about $18 - $25 per copy solid. Which means at maximum $1 million income based on sales for the publishers of these games.

Horrible math.

Conina said:
potato_hamster said:

Yep. They also get full profit on digital sales.