By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Monolith surpassed Retro Studio as new Nintendo elite studio?

Wich one?

I prefer Monolith 232 52.02%

I prefer Retro Studio 214 47.98%

Total:446
Dulfite said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
The first Metroid Prime>Xenoblade imo so no.

Maybe in proportion to the time of release but x is so much more enjoyable than prime. Exploration is so fun and rewarding in this game.

Well, "enjoyable" is an opinion and really can't be quantified. Impact, however, can be. Metroid Prime was state of the art when it launched and also reverberated throughout the industry at the time. It was a massive release. Xenoblade (which I own for Wii) was a great JRPG but it didn't really have much of an impact. It was a by the numbers RPG, and pretty much just followed along a proven formula. Metroid Prime invented 3D Metroid which many people thought impossible. It's just a much more impressive release in every way, whether you perfer Xenoblade or not.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
Dulfite said:

Maybe in proportion to the time of release but x is so much more enjoyable than prime. Exploration is so fun and rewarding in this game.

Well, "enjoyable" is an opinion and really can't be quantified. Impact, however, can be. Metroid Prime was state of the art when it launched and also reverberated throughout the industry at the time. It was a massive release. Xenoblade (which I own for Wii) was a great JRPG but it didn't really have much of an impact. It was a by the numbers RPG, and pretty much just followed along a proven formula. Metroid Prime invented 3D Metroid which many people thought impossible. It's just a much more impressive release in every way, whether you perfer Xenoblade or not.

I thougt we were talking about X, which is far more impressive than the original. 

can we have Monolith Soft and Retro Studios team up and reboot the Metroid series?

curl-6 said:

I still think Retro is still the better studio, but Monolith has definitely been far better utilized this generation. Nintendo take advantage of Monolith's ability to make the kind of games EAD can't, but then task Retro with the sort of games EAD already has well covered.

Xenoblade Chronicles X shows Monolith going all out, while Tropical Freeze shows Retro in cruise control.

I disagree with the assessment that Retro Studios is currently better because the only thing we have to judge the current itertion of the studio (since most of the Metorid Prime people left) are two reletively low-risk platformers.  I think if you compare that with what Monolith Soft did with Xenoblade and Xenoblade X, most people are going to agree that the Xenoblade games are more impressive.   That being said, my opinion can change depending on Retro's next game.

wombat123 said:
curl-6 said:

I still think Retro is still the better studio, but Monolith has definitely been far better utilized this generation. Nintendo take advantage of Monolith's ability to make the kind of games EAD can't, but then task Retro with the sort of games EAD already has well covered.

Xenoblade Chronicles X shows Monolith going all out, while Tropical Freeze shows Retro in cruise control.

I disagree with the assessment that Retro Studios is currently better because the only thing we have to judge the current itertion of the studio (since most of the Metorid Prime people left) are two reletively low-risk platformers.  I think if you compare that with what Monolith Soft did with Xenoblade and Xenoblade X, most people are going to agree that the Xenoblade games are more impressive.   That being said, my opinion can change depending on Retro's next game.

I don't think Tropical Freeze indicates a reduction in the studio's actual game-making skill though, simply less ambition and vision. Their craftsmanship is still superb, it's just that they are playing it safe and no longer pushing the envelope.

Around the Network

Monolith needs to develop something other than a RPG to be considered better than Retro, a studio that mastered many genres across the years.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

curl-6 said:
wombat123 said:
curl-6 said:

I don't think Tropical Freeze indicates a reduction in the studio's actual game-making skill though, simply less ambition and vision. Their craftsmanship is still superb, it's just that they are playing it safe and no longer pushing the envelope.

That's just it though to me.  I can't give the current staff at Retro Studios the nod over Monolith Soft when they haven't challeneged themselves yet.  I still think they have the talent to create great games on the same level as Metroid Prime but I don't want to  give them credit for what I think they can do.

wombat123 said:
curl-6 said:

That's just it though to me.  I can't give the current staff at Retro Studios the nod over Monolith Soft when they haven't challeneged themselves yet.  I still think they have the talent to create great games on the same level as Metroid Prime but I don't want to  give them credit for what I think they can do.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is far more impressive than Tropical Freeze due to its ambition and scope, but if you break both games down to their nuts and bolts, I don't think Tropical Freeze's actual workmanship is inferior. DKTF is still indicative of a studio with a very high level of creative and mechanical talent, just one who isn't currently showcasing these talents in their best light.

curl-6 said:

This

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Retro Studios that made the Prime series essentially not exist anymore? I remember reading that most of the guys that made those games left the studio years ago. With that in mind, I think Monolith is better since Retro has only done DK games since then.