By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Monolith surpassed Retro Studio as new Nintendo elite studio?

Wich one?

I prefer Monolith 232 52.02%

I prefer Retro Studio 214 47.98%

Total:446
fatslob-:O said:
bigtakilla said:

Well, you got your first not so good game out of that list too.

Got an 85 on Meta and may have already sold a million ... 

None of Retro Studio's games went below an 80 on Metacritic while I can count at least 3 games that went below 70 from Monolith Soft ...

Monolith Soft has quite a few below 80 games on Metacritic too ...

We could do a Metroid Vs any jrpg that isn't FF and I think you'd come out with the same results...

Around the Network

Both are elite studios. Retro's Tropical Freeze is one of the best designed platformer of all time, and Xenoblade's scope and grandeur is just extraordinary. We are blessed to have those two.

guiduc said:
Both are elite studios. Retro's Tropical Freeze is one of the best designed platformer of all time, and Xenoblade's scope and grandeur is just extraordinary. We are blessed to have those two.

At the end of the day, true. Here's hoping for great things from both of them soon.

bigtakilla said:

We could do a Metroid Vs any jrpg that isn't FF and I think you'd come out with the same results...

What exactly are you getting at ? Are you even arguing anymore ?

Monolith also did the Baten Kaitos RPGs on GameCube (in collab with Tri-Crescendo), and they were wonderful.

I don't think we need to choose, though. Both are excellent studios.

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
bigtakilla said:

What exactly are you getting at ? Are you even arguing anymore ?

I was never arguing to begin with.

They are both excellent studios. The only difference here is that Retro Studios has not represented much for this current generation. They are either going to release some sort of swan song for the Wii U that will be an excellent showcase for the hardware, otherwise, their efforts are going towards whatever new home console Nintendo has in store. That game, theoretically, should put Retro Studios back on the forefront.

I think we need to see what Retro is currently working on before we can even entertain the idea that Monolith have now surpassed Retro. However I'm not sure either is the best non EAD studio that Nintendo has.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

I think Monolith Soft has the right to be in the conversation with Retro, and even, Intelligent Studios for being an elite Nintendo studio outside of the EADs. Game Freak and HAL could also be considered as well considering their legendary franchises. I think Retro's track record is still great, even though consumers may have thought Tropical Freeze was too safe as their first HD project. Monolith Soft provided an overwhelming game in Xenoglade Chronicles X that, at least, met most of the expectations. Tough call, considering how much I appreciate how both studios have taken chances and have succeed. Nevertheless, Nintendo is lucky to have both of them, along with their other studios, in order to be where they are.

Not even close.