By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Monolith surpassed Retro Studio as new Nintendo elite studio?

Wich one?

I prefer Monolith 232 52.02%

I prefer Retro Studio 214 47.98%

Total:446
FloatingWaffles said:
Also at least Monolith Soft fans don't constantly, from what i've seen at least, keep begging for more and only RPG's from them.

It seems a lot of Retro Studios fans just bitch and moan whenever they make something that isn't Metroid.

Metroid fans just want metroid (shocking right?!). Retro is better suited to making it, but if another capable studio makes it, then people wouldn't complain.

Monolith fans don't complain much because monolith really isn't that known to begin with (I.E. they don't have many fans compared to Retro). Likewise, Xenoblade is also not big enough compared to metroid to have that much begging (I.E. Metroid is the bigger franchise so it's natural to expect it's fanbase to be louder than that of Xenoblade)

Around the Network

Monolith hasn't, no. But then again I don't remember Shadows of Mordor, Condemned 2, or any other Monolith game on Wii U.

Monolith Soft however, I'd say yes.

If you ask me which studio would be more of a detriment to lose for Nintendo, it would easily be Monolith Soft.

BraLoD said:
Two games, from the same IP against several games for various IPs...
Come on, it's not even time to be thinking about it yet, of course not.

You do know that Monolith Soft has co developed the last three most significant Nintendo titles they have in their library, right?

Splatoon

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/monolith-talks-about-working-with-nintendo-helped-with-splatoon/

A Link Between Worlds

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/11/xenoblade_studio_monolith_soft_was_involved_with_zelda_a_link_between_worlds

And Skyward Sword (as well as New Leaf)

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/monolith-soft-helped-create-skyward-sword-and-animal-crossing-new-leaf

Lol, two games indeed.

I'm not a fan of Metroid games but I still think Retro Studio's is superior even though Monolith Soft makes more of the type of games I would dabble in ...

SJReiter said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Retro Studios that made the Prime series essentially not exist anymore? I remember reading that most of the guys that made those games left the studio years ago. With that in mind, I think Monolith is better since Retro has only done DK games since then.

Many of the staff of the original Metroid Prime worked on Tropical Freeze, including artists, animators, engineers, producers, and audio crew.

Naturally, over the course of 12 years, many others have left the company, (some went on to work on the likes of Halo 4) but it's not like the original crew is all gone.

Around the Network

What's with people's hasty judgments these days? They've made two games man, give them time to simmer.

Personally, I don't like arguing over which studio is "the" studio. I will say Monolith Soft has joined the ranks of the elite within Nintendo alongside Retro. There can be more than one ya know.

Completly diffrent games but dktf was great. Its a shame you didnt try it.

They're both great studios. Retro has done a fantastic job revitalizing the Metroid and Donkey Kong Country series. I hope Nintendo is willing to let them experiment with a new IP for the next console. Monolith Soft has proven to be a valuable asset to Nintendo because they've assisted with the development of games like Splatoon, Super Smash Bros., and even Skyward Sword. The Xeno series is fantastic, too.

Nuvendil said:
What's with people's hasty judgments these days? They've made two games man, give them time to simmer.

Personally, I don't like arguing over which studio is "the" studio. I will say Monolith Soft has joined the ranks of the elite within Nintendo alongside Retro. There can be more than one ya know.

If anything, I'd like Nintendo to create more development studios that create exceptional software so that they could join this argument.

Retro has proven that they can be versatile, revitalizing hits in multiple franchises. Monolith so far has mostly just proven that they're awesome at big JRPG's. Both are great, but Retro is still on top in my opinion.