Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Monolith surpassed Retro Studio as new Nintendo elite studio?

Wich one?

I prefer Monolith 226 51.83%

I prefer Retro Studio 210 48.17%

Total:436

Well, let me do a quick comparison between them before I make my decision.

First off, games they've made and/or worked on for Nintendo.

Monolith Soft:

-Super Smash Bros. Brawl

-Disaster: Day of Crisis

-Baten Kaitos Origins

-Xenoblade Chronicles

-The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

-Animal Crossing: New Leaf

-Pikmin 3

-The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

-Splatoon

-Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer

-Xenoblade Chronicles X

-The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild

-Xenoblade Chronicles 2

-Splatoon 2

-Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna-The Golden Country

-Animal Crossing: New Horizons

-Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition

Most of those games are held in high regard, even some of the ones in which Monolith Soft was NOT the lead developer.

Retro Studios:

-Metroid Prime

-Metroid Prime 2

-Metroid Prime 3

-Metroid Prime Trilogy

-Donkey Kong Country Returns

-Mario Kart 7

-Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

All wonderful games, but too few and far between as of late.

My vote goes to Monolith Soft, although I would like to see them as lead developer on something that's not an open-world adventure game or JRPG, and this is coming from someone who loves Breath of The Wild and Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Around the Network

Monolithsoft is headed by one of the most celebrated video game designers in history,
* Tetsuya Takahashi, known for his work on Final Fantasy 6 (His wife, Soraya Saga created Edgar and Sabin, and wrote a good deal of FF6's story, while Tetsuya Takahashi's most notable contribution to the game is fleshing out the magitek armour component and directing the opening sequence - which, at the time, was the greatest opening of a game, ever), the graphics director for Chrono Trigger, creator of Xenogears, creator of Xenosaga, and creator Xenoblade.
* Yasuyuki Honne is the co-founder, got his start working under Tetsuya Takahashi on Chrono Trigger alongside Tetsuya Nomura.
Via Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles X they revolutionized open world 3D gaming forging the path to Breath of the Wild the greatest game of this generation, a game which most of the studio worked on, and are currently working on its sequel.
* They work with legendary composers, like Yasunori Mitsuda (Takahashi has worked with Mitsuda for the entirety of Mitsuda's career, beginning with Chrono Trigger) and Yoko Shimomura.

Who does Retro Studios even have onboard? I honestly can't think of anyone of note.
What have they really done? Apart from a couple of Donkey Kong throw back titles, the only notable thing Retro Studios has ever done is co-develop Metroid Prime with EAD like 20 years ago; and lets be real, it's not as good as its review scores - they were only that high because of the license.

Retro Studios never was an elite studio and were never as good as Monolithsoft.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
What have they really done? Apart from a couple of Donkey Kong throw back titles, the only notable thing Retro Studios has ever done is co-develop Metroid Prime with EAD like 20 years ago; and lets be real, it's not as good as its review scores - they were only that high because of the license.

"Let's be real" your ass, dude. That's an awful take.

Yes, mostly because the last big project Retro completed was in 2014.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Well, Monolith Soft. can actually put out (quality) games in a timely manner so they win

Around the Network

I’m not gonna lie, I’m worried for Retro Studios and Metroid Prime 4. 

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

Yeah, Monolith wins because they actually put out games, but saying that they're an elite studio is still misleading, as their games aren't that good. I mean, I love them, but they aren't on par with what EPD produces. However, it's admirable at the same time that they've become an important asset for Nintendo, so that alone makes them greater than Retro Studios, by a landslide.

Jumpin said:

Who does Retro Studios even have onboard? I honestly can't think of anyone of note.

Metroid Prime is fucking awesome and still one of the best games ever made.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
Jumpin said:

Metroid Prime is fucking awesome and still one of the best games ever made.

Yeah, I played it for the first time not a lot of years ago and it held up incredibly well, it's so polished that it also looks like an early X360 game, it has always given me that impression. 

Monolith just because they are actually putting out games at the moment, and have assisted in other big Nintendo games.. But overall, Retro Studios games have been consistently awesome. If Metroid Prime rocks, I will put them back over Monolith. Now if Monolith wants to give me another Baten Kaitos games they will take a bigger lead for me.