By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New NX details from Ubisoft dev; portable device will launch first (rumor)

Is it real?

Yes 84 27.18%

No 111 35.92%

John Cena in Smash is realer! 114 36.89%

Total:309
Nem said:
zorg1000 said:
Nem said:

Holy shit read it yourself? See how long it took to develop WiiU games.

zorg1000 said:

Mario Kart 7 released December 2011, Mario Kart 8 released May 2014. This team made the transition from 3DS to Wii U and made their first HD game in 2.5 years.

Hal released a Wii game in November 2011 then a 3DS game in January 2014 then a Wii U game in February 2015. The transition from Wii to 3DS was the same as the transition from 3DS to Wii U. 4 years for 3DS + Wii U

ND Cube released a Wii game in 2011 followed by a Wii game in 2012 followed by a Wii U & a 3DS game in 2013 followed by 2 Wii U games in 2015. 2 years, but i assume these were small titles.

EAD Group 2 released a DS game in 2005 followed by 2 Wii games in 2006 followed by 2 Wii games in 2008 followed by a Wii game in 2009 followed by a 3DS game & a Wii U game in 2012 followed by a 3DS game & a Wii U game in 2015. 3 years for Wii U + 3DS

EAD Tokyo released a Wii game in 2010 followed by a 3DS game in 2011 followed by a Wii U game in 2013 and another Wii U game in 2014. 2 years. The 1 years was Treasure tracker i am guessing? Basically DLC.

Nintendo's best teams took 2.5 years. Now apply that to determine when their games are coming out and see how possible it is anything other than 1 will be ready this year. But given Retro tends to do engine work they will be busy anyways.

Yes, they did slow down with Wii U development. So, what i said simply bypassed this useless post.

What? How do u figure 4 years for HAL? Rainbow Curse released 13 months after Triple Deluxe.

ND Cube release Mario Party 9 in March 2012 followed by Wii Party U in Oct 2013, that's 19 months.

Stop being ignorant, literally every team I listed saw no noticeable slow down with transitioning from SD to HD, ur once again making things up to support ur argument. Act like an adult and admit ur wrong or just stop posting.

How do i conclude 4 years for HAL? Because HD games aren't developed in one year without full engine and assets partially developed. The wii U game was obviously developed in paralel with the 3DS title or was a small title. Theres no 2 ways about it. Everyone knows these things. Its common knowledge. The likeliness (and i'm beeing extremely nice here) that you are wrong is extremely high because of that. Development cycles on HD titles are longer than SD titles because obviously they require more resources. This is a fact, not a guessing game. What you are doing is wishful thinking. I'm afraid that once we know the official info you will be sorely disappointed.

I don't see how i can be possibly be beeing ignorant by pointing you out on your completely unrealistic predictions and incomplete partial info.

OK, even if we exclude the 3DS release, that's still only 3 year & 3 months between Return to Dreamland & Rainbow Curse. Even so, how do u explain all those other studios releasing HD games in the same time frame it took them to release SD games? How did ND Cube release 2 games in late 2013 then release 2 HD games in 2015? How did EAD 1 release MK8 in 2.5 years?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Nintendo spent quiet for 1.5 years regarding Wii U projects or significant ones?

These are games announced at E3 that were released in the year or years after that E3:

E3 2013 - Mario Kart 8; Bayonetta 2; XC X; DKCR TP; Smash Brothers
E3 2014 - Yoshi; Kirby; Starfox; Splatoon; Mario Maker
E3 2015 - Animal Crossing and Mario Tennis

Nem, do you see the difference? And i'm not even including games announced/first shown outside of E3 like Hyrule Warriors, Mario 3D World, Captain Toad and FExSMT.

You don't hold back games for a console that has no 3rd party support. You show what you got because you have nothing more.
If Nintendo really had intentions of supporting Wii U until 2017, you would have seen them announced at E3 last year, yet, you saw pratically nothing. That, is a sign of a platform that has reached it's end and not a sign of a console that will last into 2017.

Nem said:

That is not the point is it? Nintendo is developing said games cooperatively. They are surely working on NX software. But to think it will be ready for a next-gen home console for later this year, sorry to say, but its insanity.

Besides we do have confirmation that they are working on Wii U titles. Zelda U itself is more than confirmed and its probably the biggest title internally developed at Nintendo to date.

It's unlikely Nintendo has any significant workforce committed to Twilight Princess HD or Starfox Zero as they're being handled by third parties, and are cheap projects with low production values. It would be an unnecessary and wasteful use of their limited resources.

Zelda U is likely the only major Wii U game Nintendo still has any significant amount of manpower invested in, and it's probably multiplat with NX anyway.

midrange said:
Raze said:
twintail said:
Raze said:

Or Ubi's. If I had a business partner that turned tail at the first sign of struggle, then wanted back in when things were good again, I'd tell them to shove it.

So Nintendo should say screw you to every other publisher then?

And you wonder Nintendo has such rubbish 3rd party relations. 

No, you make them sign a deal to release 2-3 more M rated Wii U games to get back in good standing.

And they respond with "screw you, we can do the same for Sony and actually MAKE money"

and in turn dont get to be on the high horse when Nintendo releases a system that leads the market in the future.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

I think there is one silly notion that has to kind end and I suspect the NX will "kill it".

The notion is that portable/handheld is the "kid brother". The modern Nintendo portable IS basically a console. It can now run basically all the main Nintendo IP and the graphics are getting good enough that it can tangiably be the main Nintendo platform.

That's basically what I think will happen with the NX, the portable will become effectively the lead platform even from a development POV ... meaning it will have ALL the main Nintendo games, not just "spin-off/side" versions any longer.

Nintendo can't support basically two consoles simultaneously, that's basically what would be the issue and why the NX has to unify its library.

The day where the handheld was just this cute little device that was trying its damndest to run a 2D Mario game are long over.

Today they are basically full fledged and require as much resources as a Nintendo console would.

Especially once you get past GameCube level graphics and start to get into PS3/360 type visuals and the scope afforded by such large processing power, your development costs increase big time.

Even in the Wii/DS area, Nintendo was really able to support two because they Wii still had relatively low end graphics and DS even moreso (N64/Playstation 1 range 3D). And even then we saw towards the end of the Wii's lifecycle they were unable to support the Wii any longer as they were really making 3DS games behind the scenes.

And this gen, trying to support both the Wii U and 3DS has been a total and complete disaster.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
I think there is one silly notion that has to kind end and I suspect the NX will "kill it".

The notion is that portable/handheld is the "kid brother". The modern Nintendo portable IS basically a console. It can now run basically all the main Nintendo IP and the graphics are getting good enough that it can tangiably be the main Nintendo platform.

That's basically what I think will happen with the NX, the portable will become effectively the lead platform even from a development POV ... meaning it will have ALL the main Nintendo games, not just "spin-off/side" versions any longer.

Nintendo can't support basically two consoles simultaneously, that's basically what would be the issue and why the NX has to unify its library.

The day where the handheld was just this cute little device that was trying its damndest to run a 2D Mario game are long over.

Today they are basically full fledged and require as much resources as a Nintendo console would.

Especially once you get past GameCube level graphics and start to get into PS3/360 type visuals and the scope afforded by such large processing power, your development costs increase big time.

Even in the Wii/DS area, Nintendo was really able to support two because they Wii still had relatively low end graphics and DS even moreso (N64/Playstation 1 range 3D). And even then we saw towards the end of the Wii's lifecycle they were unable to support the Wii any longer as they were really making 3DS games behind the scenes.

And this gen, trying to support both the Wii U and 3DS has been a total and complete disaster.

This is a major reason why I believe the console portion won't be a huge leap over Wii U, it will essentially be an extension of the portable that plays games at a higher resolution, more stable frame rate, faster load times. Basically the portable is N64, the console is N64+RAM Pak.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Hiku said:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7627167

You convinced me

zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

This is a major reason why I believe the console portion won't be a huge leap over Wii U, it will essentially be an extension of the portable that plays games at a higher resolution, more stable frame rate, faster load times. Basically the portable is N64, the console is N64+RAM Pak.

I agree with you there, but I think in this scenario there should be an even more fundamental rethink of what both platforms do. Once you make this change, it's a radical change for Nintendo, it's like not having Turkey on Christmas Dinner ... well I mean everything else becomes a question too ... do you need stuffing? bread rolls? Doesn't make sense if you're having Chinese food. 

To me going *too* cheap with the portable is problematic in that the technology first needs to be decent in order to run the main Nintendo games. That's for one. But the other is, I think when you are competing for relevance against cheap games (free on smartphone) and tablets that are going to be $50-$75 soon (with good sized HD displays) ... you can't win on price. 

So you need to redefine the portable gaming experience, to me they should make the portable more like a "travelling hub" that can also become like a console and stream to devices around it. Powerful *but* affordable, like the N64/GCN/SNES were. Whatever ideas your R&D have to differniate it from tablets from a value perspective jump all over that and encourage those ideas. 

The console then in a way, you have freedom now to maybe do some things you wouldn't otherwise since the main portable essentially covers the needs of a "standard" Nintendo console. 

I'd go upmarket with the dedicated home console too and make it quite powerful. Reason being is lets face it they're not selling many consoles as is, even though their console is the cheapest. If you get more hardcore hardware fetishists with the console, these people tend to buy a shit-ton of games, so at least you boost your attach rate there.

Honestly I'd like to see them really embrace the "multi-tier" hardware strategy if that's what they're going to do. Don't just adhere to the rules of the 1980s then, make some hardware models you wouldn't normally make I say, because it doesn't matter so much then if one model doesn't sell like gangbusters, every one brings it a different audience, and every bit of marketshare/audience share is valuable going forward. 

You don't want a cheap console and cheap portable that basically are aimed at the same exact market. Different NXes should be aimed at different markets, I think that'd be a smarter way to go. 

Soundwave said:

You have a very weird definition for disaster.

zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

Depends to what degree their libraries are merged.

If the portable NX has to be able to play all the same games as the console version, that pretty much rules out a big power improvement over Wii U right there. Mobile tech may have come a long way, but mobile chips with hugely more power than Wii U are years away.