By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New NX details from Ubisoft dev; portable device will launch first (rumor)

Is it real?

Yes 84 27.18%

No 111 35.92%

John Cena in Smash is realer! 114 36.89%

Total:309

The A9X is probably more powerful than a Wii U, the Tegra X1 is almost certainly, neither are expensive chips.

People here really don't understand how powerful modern affordable mobile chips are.

The Vita is ancient, and that was only $250 almost five years ago.

The chip isn't what's expensive ... for a portable it's the LCD screen that's the no.1 cost ... if you're willing to accept a decent/low cost screen like a 1280x720 display at 6-6.5 inches that's easy enough to sell by this fall for $200-$250. 

Around the Network

This is the Tegra X1 versus a PS4 running an Unreal Engine 4 demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XzIZWO1qdg

Keep in mind the X1 footage is recorded off a projected screen so the colors look more washed out, but it does a decent job holding its own versus the Playstation 4, considering it runs at like 6-10 watts versus 130 watts for a PS4. I believe it's running this demo at 720p too ... scale it down to 540p and it could probably get even closer to the PS4 in details. 

This chip is *not* expensive either ... it's in the Shield console with 3GB of RAM for $199.99 ... and this console is sold at a large profit because Nvidia doesn't make money off game sales. And the console is already nearing a year old.

Nintendo could likely very easily have this type of chip in a portable with 3-4GB of RAM for $200-$250 come fall of this year. Then the home version could have even better graphics, but this would allow for a lot of scalable games and even portable ports of next-gen PS4/XB1 games ... this would be a game changer for Nintendo IMO. 

Nem said:
curl-6 said:

Starfox Zero and Twilight Princess HD require minimal investment from Nintendo as Platinum/Tantalus can do the heavy lifting and the games have low production values to begin with, while there has been no indication that Pikmin 4 is a Wii U game.

The bulk of Nintendo's development resources have been shifted from Wii U to NX, that much is clear at this point. If there were still major games to come for the Wii U, we wouldn't have gone 18 months without any being announced.

It sucks, but it's the harsh reality.

You are speculating curl. You have no idea. The games are stated as co-developed. Co means cooperative. Not i give you all and you do it. If that was the case Nintendo wouldnt be credited as the developer aswell as publisher. Theres games beeing developed by Nintendo internally for the WIi U.

So by resources you mean a part of the resources. We have no way to quantify. Are they shifting? Yeah i believe they are. But i also believe that the dream that they will have a slew of new titles ready for this year ona new home console is in the realm of the fantastic. Games development isnt easy and takes time.

A new system needs engines aswell, something that further makes it unlikely that anything would be ready for a next-gen home console this year.

As you say yourself, Nintendo only has so much manpower, there is no point investing any significant portion of their workforce into games like Twilight Princess HD and Starfox Zero when Tantalus/Platinum can handle it. At this stage, resources are better spent making sure NX has the best possible chance of success, rather than shoring up a platform that will be lucky to pass 15 million in sales.

What's a dream is thinking they have any major unannounced titles for Wii U, despite not announcing any for over a year and a half.

Nintendo can't afford more big Wii U games if they want to really support the next handheld and next home console.
Had Nintendo had big Wii U games coming and E3 2015 would have looked like E3 2014... and it clearly wasn't. Far from it, actually.

For next gen, Nintendo really needs a sub-200$ handheld or things could result in another 3DS situation.

DélioPT said:
Nintendo can't afford more big Wii U games if they want to really support the next handheld and next home console.
Had Nintendo had big Wii U games coming and E3 2015 would have looked like E3 2014... and it clearly wasn't. Far from it, actually.

For next gen, Nintendo really needs a sub-200$ handheld or things could result in another 3DS situation.

I think the 3DS price cut was an overreaction to be honest. $200 3DS sells perfectly fine (relative to market conditions), cheaper 3DS models have not improved sales whatsoever, and yeah it didn't sell a $250, but that's because it was a shit proposition for $250. It had no big games, a retread of Nintendogs, and while the 3D effect was OK, the graphics technology was underwhelming, like a souped up PSP.

People aren't going to buy a portable just because it's cheap, because nothing is cheaper than free (as in free games on tablets). And even a cheap Nintendo portable will get its legs cut off by even cheaper Android tablets with HD screens that are now getting as low as $99 or less. 

So IMO the challenge for Nintendo is to improve the experience of the portables they offer so much so that they are miles beyond a tablet and legitimately might even be able to function like a console. 

And before someone says Vita ... no not really ... the Vita can't even handle PS3 ports, let alone PS4. The mobile processing power back in 2011 just didn't exist for that, but in 2016 ... it's getting there. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
DélioPT said:

$200 3DS sells perfectly fine (relative to market conditions), cheaper 3DS models have not improved sales whatsoever

The only cheap model that sold like shit is the 2DS, and to be honest that device is kinda a piece of shit, it's a downgrade in every sense of the definition. It's the equivalent of Nintendo releasing the original Gameboy 2 years after Gameboy Color or releasing the original Gameboy Advance 2 years after the GBA SP. Ya, they would be cheaper but they would also be inferior and be seen as poor products, so it's hard to say if a lower price would help 3DS. Personally I think an actual price cut would have been more effective than the 2DS was but Nintendo is in a state of profits over user base so they didn't go that route.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Soundwave said:
DélioPT said:

I think the 3DS price cut was an overreaction to be honest. $200 3DS sells perfectly fine (relative to market conditions), cheaper 3DS models have not improved sales whatsoever, and yeah it didn't sell a $250, but that's because it was a shit proposition for $250. It had no big games, a retread of Nintendogs, and while the 3D effect was OK, the graphics technology was underwhelming, like a souped up PSP.

People aren't going to buy a portable just because it's cheap, because nothing is cheaper than free (as in free games on tablets). And even a cheap Nintendo portable will get its legs cut off by even cheaper Android tablets with HD screens that are now getting as low as $99 or less. 

So IMO the challenge for Nintendo is to improve the experience of the portables they offer so much so that they are miles beyond a tablet and legitimately might even be able to function like a console. 

And before someone says Vita ... no not really ... the Vita can't even handle PS3 ports, let alone PS4. The mobile processing power back in 2011 just didn't exist for that, but in 2016 ... it's getting there. 

I don't know if Nintendo overreacted. I think they "saw" what would happen  if they just cut the price a bit.
Having a big cut would impress and regain customers back. MK 7 and Mario 3D Land were also part of the plan to drive sales in the long term.

The new handheld shoud strive to not become another tablet device. Keep the handheld DNA and then throw in a bunch of stuff to make it a purchase worthwhile. The other way around would be a potentially mistake.

Remember when Iwata said NX would absorb Wii U's architecture?
Well, it seems it might happen after all, just not how most people thought:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1166717&page=18
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoNX/comments/3xuumg/rumor_nintendo_to_unveil_nx_in_january_at_ces/

Lots of speculation. But seeing as i don't speak that tech language, i don't know what's possible and what isn't.

zorg1000 said:
Nem said:

Holy shit read it yourself? See how long it took to develop WiiU games.

zorg1000 said:

Mario Kart 7 released December 2011, Mario Kart 8 released May 2014. This team made the transition from 3DS to Wii U and made their first HD game in 2.5 years.

Hal released a Wii game in November 2011 then a 3DS game in January 2014 then a Wii U game in February 2015. The transition from Wii to 3DS was the same as the transition from 3DS to Wii U. 4 years for 3DS + Wii U

ND Cube released a Wii game in 2011 followed by a Wii game in 2012 followed by a Wii U & a 3DS game in 2013 followed by 2 Wii U games in 2015. 2 years, but i assume these were small titles.

EAD Group 2 released a DS game in 2005 followed by 2 Wii games in 2006 followed by 2 Wii games in 2008 followed by a Wii game in 2009 followed by a 3DS game & a Wii U game in 2012 followed by a 3DS game & a Wii U game in 2015. 3 years for Wii U + 3DS

EAD Tokyo released a Wii game in 2010 followed by a 3DS game in 2011 followed by a Wii U game in 2013 and another Wii U game in 2014. 2 years. The 1 years was Treasure tracker i am guessing? Basically DLC.

Nintendo's best teams took 2.5 years. Now apply that to determine when their games are coming out and see how possible it is anything other than 1 will be ready this year. But given Retro tends to do engine work they will be busy anyways.

Yes, they did slow down with Wii U development. So, what i said simply bypassed this useless post.

What? How do u figure 4 years for HAL? Rainbow Curse released 13 months after Triple Deluxe.

ND Cube release Mario Party 9 in March 2012 followed by Wii Party U in Oct 2013, that's 19 months.

Stop being ignorant, literally every team I listed saw no noticeable slow down with transitioning from SD to HD, ur once again making things up to support ur argument. Act like an adult and admit ur wrong or just stop posting.

How do i conclude 4 years for HAL? Because HD games aren't developed in one year without full engine and assets partially developed. The wii U game was obviously developed in paralel with the 3DS title or was a small title. Theres no 2 ways about it. Everyone knows these things. Its common knowledge. The likeliness (and i'm beeing extremely nice here) that you are wrong is extremely high because of that. Development cycles on HD titles are longer than SD titles because obviously they require more resources. This is a fact, not a guessing game. What you are doing is wishful thinking. I'm afraid that once we know the official info you will be sorely disappointed.

I don't see how i can be possibly be beeing ignorant by pointing you out on your completely unrealistic predictions and incomplete partial info.

curl-6 said:
Nem said:
curl-6 said:

Starfox Zero and Twilight Princess HD require minimal investment from Nintendo as Platinum/Tantalus can do the heavy lifting and the games have low production values to begin with, while there has been no indication that Pikmin 4 is a Wii U game.

The bulk of Nintendo's development resources have been shifted from Wii U to NX, that much is clear at this point. If there were still major games to come for the Wii U, we wouldn't have gone 18 months without any being announced.

It sucks, but it's the harsh reality.

You are speculating curl. You have no idea. The games are stated as co-developed. Co means cooperative. Not i give you all and you do it. If that was the case Nintendo wouldnt be credited as the developer aswell as publisher. Theres games beeing developed by Nintendo internally for the WIi U.

So by resources you mean a part of the resources. We have no way to quantify. Are they shifting? Yeah i believe they are. But i also believe that the dream that they will have a slew of new titles ready for this year ona new home console is in the realm of the fantastic. Games development isnt easy and takes time.

A new system needs engines aswell, something that further makes it unlikely that anything would be ready for a next-gen home console this year.

As you say yourself, Nintendo only has so much manpower, there is no point investing any significant portion of their workforce into games like Twilight Princess HD and Starfox Zero when Tantalus/Platinum can handle it. At this stage, resources are better spent making sure NX has the best possible chance of success, rather than shoring up a platform that will be lucky to pass 15 million in sales.

What's a dream is thinking they have any major unannounced titles for Wii U, despite not announcing any for over a year and a half.

That is not the point is it? Nintendo is developing said games cooperatively. They are surely working on NX software. But to think it will be ready for a next-gen home console for later this year, sorry to say, but its insanity.

Besides we do have confirmation that they are working on Wii U titles. Zelda U itself is more than confirmed and its probably the biggest title internally developed at Nintendo to date.