By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do people think that Nintendo could go or should go third-party?

mornelithe said:
AZWification said:

Nintendo didn't do anything wrong with the SNES, that system sold less than NES due to real competiton from Sega. The N64 had to face the PS1 which stole the Japanese market from Nintendo due to the lack of JRPGs on the N64 ( went from 17m to 5m in Japan). The GameCube was plagued by many questionable decisions and the same can be said for the WiiU. If NIntendo makes a console that isn't plagued by questionable design choices and that gets at least the support of Japanese 3rd party publishers then I can see it outsell both the WiiU and GC. Heck, even N64 numbers aren't out of the question because such console would perform better in Europe and Japan than the N64, which would make up for the lower numbers in America ( I don't see the NX sell 20m in NA).

I'd actually argue that Nintendo gave away the Japanese market with the N64, by abandoning the joint project with Sony, that ended up losing them Final Fantasy due to refusal to move away from cartridges, which among other things, gave Sony a very easy entrance into the industry.

Yeah, you're right.  I forgot to mention that the GameCube was also affected because Ninty gave away the console shooter market they had with Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, etc.. Those consoles would have sold so much better if those dumb decisions wouldn't have happened! Oh well.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
AZWification said:
mornelithe said:

I'd actually argue that Nintendo gave away the Japanese market with the N64, by abandoning the joint project with Sony, that ended up losing them Final Fantasy due to refusal to move away from cartridges, which among other things, gave Sony a very easy entrance into the industry.

Yeah, you're right.  I forgot to mention that the GameCube was also affected because Ninty gave away the console shooter market they had with Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, etc.. Those consoles would have sold so much better if those dumb decisions wouldn't have happened! Oh well.

I will say this, even with the Wii U's situation, who gives a fuck?  It's not like the 3DS failed or anything, their Amiibo's and other toys are doing well, and Nintendo's proven they can rebound from a bad situation as well as obviously having the largest collection of the most recognizable IP in gaming history in their stables to rely upon.   I do think they inadvertently made life a shitload easier for Sony to get into the market, though, but...I think it's worked out for the better for everyone in that regard.

To be honest, people sholdn't bother explaining these things to other people, the reasons as to why people want Nintendo games on other platforms are far too obvious, but that doesn't mean that that's something that should happen or something that benefits Nintendo as a company.

I'm now filled with determination.

Hiku said:
sc94597 said:

Considering there is a saturation point for the # of fans, I really don't see the sales increasing that much. If you noticed, many of their franchises didn't sell that much more on the Wii (with a 101 million install base) than they did on the Nintendo 64 with a 30 million install base. Why? The people who want to play these games already buy Nintendo platforms. Sure, there will be gains, but not as huge as people make it seem, probably somewhere between 15-30% more sales, but with more costs for multiplatform development on expensive platforms to remain competitive (software-wise) and also with less revenue (licensing fees.) You'll see many low to mid-end Nintendo franchises like Fire Emblem, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Metroid stripped out of their development cycles, and a huge emphasis on Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. That is not good for gamers who enjoy Nintendo games. It also doesn't necessarily mean their profits will go up. 

Not so sure about that. At least Mario Kart Wii sold over 300% of what Mario Kart 64 sold, and Smash Brawl sales were at 230% compared to Smash 64, Mario Galaxy sold the same as Mario 64. But for Mario and Zelda it was pretty much the same as N64, yeah.
But we have to keep in mind that a huge part of Wii's userbase were made up of the casual gamer crowd who either moved on to mobile gaming, or stopped playing as the various soccer moms and whatnot who used Wii fit weren't much of gamers to begin with. I can't really say how interested they would be in Mario and Zelda. But I do think there are many former Nintendo owners out there who liked those games in the past and would still want to play them today, but refuse to buy Nintendo's consoles for one reason or another. I just don't think their core base, or people interested in their games, dropped to just 10m or so.
Speaking from a personal perspective, as much as I loved Nintendo's games for NES, SNES and N64, I always wanted to buy a new Nintendo console, every time one came out. I realy did. But in the end, they just never managed to convince me. I was even so sure that I'd buy a Wii U this time that I bought Mario Kart 8.
But I never bought a Wii U, and I never will. So that's $50 down the drain because of my continued faith in Nintendo's ability to convince me to buy a console again, in spite of being disappointed console after console, I still have that hope when a new one comes out. And I've been hoping to come back for over 15 years now.

I think there are a lot of Nintendo fans still out there who just don't want to invest in their hardware. At least I see that trend in most of my friends.
If they make a console that I genuinely feel good about purchasing, I will do so. And if they release their games for all consoles, I would definitely buy them.

Kirby, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Paper Mario, Animal Crossing, Pokemon spinoffs, these are all games that showed little to no gain on Wii compared to their N64/GC counterparts. The only Nintendo IP that saw relevant gains were simultaneous 4 player games like Mario Kart, Smash Bros, 2D Mario, Mario Party.

But I agree with ur overall point, there are more people who are interested in Nintendo games than Wii U leads us to believe, 3DS is actually proof of that. Just out of curiosity, what would it take for u to buy a new Nintendo console? Is it a price thing where Wii U costs too much for what it offers? Is it because of 3rd party support and u would choose a Nintendo console over Sony/Microsoft if it had similar support?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Because fanboys refuse to do research on something that they hate. They want to believe in their own fantasy as oppose to what's factual. For example: Nintendo's net worth in 2014 was above Sony's. Of course Sony fanboys will refuse to believe that even though it's facts.

Around the Network

Here's a believable view M$ is more likely to become a third party company than Nintendo.

Hiku said:
sc94597 said:

Considering there is a saturation point for the # of fans, I really don't see the sales increasing that much. If you noticed, many of their franchises didn't sell that much more on the Wii (with a 101 million install base) than they did on the Nintendo 64 with a 30 million install base. Why? The people who want to play these games already buy Nintendo platforms. Sure, there will be gains, but not as huge as people make it seem, probably somewhere between 15-30% more sales, but with more costs for multiplatform development on expensive platforms to remain competitive (software-wise) and also with less revenue (licensing fees.) You'll see many low to mid-end Nintendo franchises like Fire Emblem, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Metroid stripped out of their development cycles, and a huge emphasis on Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. That is not good for gamers who enjoy Nintendo games. It also doesn't necessarily mean their profits will go up. 

Not so sure about that. At least Mario Kart Wii sold over 300% of what Mario Kart 64 sold, and Smash Brawl sales were at 230% compared to Smash 64, Mario Galaxy sold the same as Mario 64. But for Mario and Zelda it was pretty much the same as N64, yeah.
But we have to keep in mind that a huge part of Wii's userbase were made up of the casual gamer crowd who either moved on to mobile gaming, or stopped playing as the various soccer moms and whatnot who used Wii fit weren't much of gamers to begin with. I can't really say how interested they would be in specific Nintendo franchises. But I do think there are many former Nintendo owners out there who liked those games in the past and would still want to play them today, but refuse to buy Nintendo's consoles for one reason or another. I just don't think the people interested in their games dropped to just 10m or so.
Speaking from a personal perspective, as much as I loved Nintendo's games for NES, SNES and N64, I always wanted to buy a new Nintendo console, every time one came out. I realy did. But in the end, they just never managed to convince me. I was even so sure that I'd buy a Wii U this time that I bought Mario Kart 8.

But I never bought a Wii U, and I never will. So that's $50 down the drain because of my continued faith in Nintendo's ability to convince me to buy one of their consoles again, in spite of being disappointed console after console for various reasons, I still have that hope when a new one comes out. And I've been hoping for that for around 15 years now.

I think there are a lot of Nintendo fans still out there who just don't want to invest in their hardware. At least I see that trend in most of my friends.
If they make a console that I genuinely feel is worth buying, then I will do so. And if they release their games for all consoles, I would definitely buy them.

I got it for a decent price(250). It honestly is worth the price. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Hiku said:

But we have to keep in mind that a huge part of Wii's userbase were made up of the casual gamer crowd who either moved on to mobile gaming, or stopped playing as the various soccer moms and whatnot who used Wii fit weren't much of gamers to begin with. I can't really say how interested they would be in specific Nintendo franchises. But I do think there are many former Nintendo owners out there who liked those games in the past and would still want to play them today, but refuse to buy Nintendo's consoles for one reason or another. I just don't think the people interested in their games dropped to just 10m or so.

But I never bought a Wii U, and I never will. So that's $50 down the drain because of my continued faith in Nintendo's ability to convince me to buy one of their consoles again, in spite of being disappointed console after console for various reasons, I still have that hope when a new one comes out. And I've been hoping for that for around 15 years now.

If they make a console that I genuinely feel is worth buying, then I will do so. And if they release their games for all consoles, I would definitely buy them.

I am almost certain that every "hardcore" gamer had access to a Wii last generation, even if they didn't buy one themselves - it was in their family. Honestly, i really don't believe the Nintendo fanbase is much greater than the Gamecube's hardware sales (somewhere around 20 million) and even then that doesn't necessarily mean that all of them like every Nintendo franchise. Sure there are the scattered people who enjoy a Nintendo game or two, but if they can't justify a Wii U purchase, can they really be called fans of Nintendo rather than a select few franchises of theirs? I mean, for Nintendo fans, there are plenty of great games on the Wii U that justify the platform. Sure, Zelda U isn't here yet, and there hasn't been a Metroid game (both of which are in my top five gaming franchises) but Pikmin, Xenoblade, Mario, Mario Kart, Star Fox, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Yoshi, and Smash are Nintendo bread and butter. Those other two franchises are those which have broad appeal among all core gamers. While I am sure there are a few Nintendo fans who absolutely love most of what they have to offer who haven't bought the system (heck until November I was one of them) I still believe that they are a very small group. 

Side Note: 

It makes sense that Super Smash Bros Brawl sold more than Super Smash Bros, because the latter was a new IP, while the first was an established franchise. Mario Kart has broad appeal to casual gamers, so more casuals => more sales. 

Hiku said:

Nintendo once had an install base of 60m for NES and 50m for SNES. And DS and 3DS sold 155m and 55m respectively. It's very hard for me to imagine that their fanbase has shrunk to 10-20m. Especially when you see a common trend among Wii U owners, where many of them have only ever owned a Nintendo system. And that is not the same as most fans of Nintendo purchasing their system only because they are big fans of their game, but it can also be a case of having a less diverse taste in games because you haven't properly experienced what else is out there. And this can change your perspective of whether or not a console is worth the asking price.
There was a topic once where people were asked to list their top 10 music from videogames. And I recall several people with Nintendo avatars having their top 10 lists comprised of nothing but songs from Nintendo games. This to me does not say "This is a true fan of Nintendo", but rather "This is a person who really hasn't played much outside of Nintendo, and has a less diverse taste in games because of it."
I would know, as I was in that situation at one point as well, and blissfully enjoyed my N64, with it's high quality, but very limited in amount, titles. Very limited. But knowing what I know today, and if PS2 wasn't backwards compatible with PS1 games, I would have chosen a PS1 instead.

You mention how there are many WiiU owners who feel like there are enough good games to justify the price of the console. And I can understand that, as everyone has different tastes, and there are good games like Splatoon, Mario Maker, and possibly Star Fox, that I'm not interested in. I loved Star Fox 64, but my interest in Star Fox is gone. That doesn't equate to me not being a Nintendo fan. You shouldn't be expected to love every franchise for decades on end. I used to love Devil May Cry. Really liked DMC 3, but got burned out on the franchise after playing it, and never played DMC 4, or the reboot. Loved Resident Evil, and played every game with high anticipation. But after games like RE6, I have no interest in Revalations 2, and I'm skeptical of any further releases from this point on. Do things like that not make me a fan of Playstation any more? No, these things happen. But it's more common to happen on a console with a much more diverse range of games. Because the truth is, if your console's library is limited, you are that much more inclined to buy and like games that you otherwise wouldn't buy.
The Nintendo fans out there who don't buy Nintendo consoles, possibly because their taste in games has become more diverse, they don't have to love or buy every Nintendo franchise if it became multiplat. It's a good thing having a lot to chose from, and many more people doing the chosing. While one person may just like Zelda, Mario and Smash, another may just like Metroid, and F-Zero. In the end it amounts to a lot. Rather than specific games like Mario Kart charting with massive sales like 10m+, all the games that don't chart on other consoles and sell significantly less, but still decent, amount to a lot more.

Am I not a Nintendo fan because I haven't bought a console since N64? (I have 3DS though.) Or am I not a Zelda fan because the last Zelda game I finished from beginning to end was Majora's Mask, even though I played through all the previous ones and still have the box of MM on display on my shelf and bought the remake for 3DS? If I would be labeled that way, I have no objections.
But the bottom line is, should Nintendo's games come out for Playstation, I would buy a lot of them. Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Xenoblade, etc.
Personally I was never a big fan of Donkey Kong, but I'm sure you wouldn't have a hard time finding someone who's more interested in Donkey Kongthan Xenoblade or Metroid on my list.

Certainly somebody shouldn't like all of their franchises just because they are Nintendo, but they certainly should love a decent number in order to be called a Nintendo fan. Just liking one or two franchises doesn't make you a fan of a company, but rather a fan of those two franchises is my point. Sure that might translate into more sales for those two franchises, but if what you say is true - that most Nintendo fans who buy all these games only do so because they haven't tried other publishers - would that not be a bad thing for Nintendo if they were to go third party? Those people would then play other games rather than the proportion of Nintendo games that you've attributed to being only likable because of lesser competition. I do think there are a quite a few Nintendo fans who give games chances because there is less variety (just look at Devil's Third support), but these aren't necessarily bad games and they become fans of these games because they gave it a chance. If anything, that is more reason Nintendo should keep all of their titles contained on one platform that has a decent focus on first party. They gain from it. 

As for the issue of install base, there was a decline in Nintendo appeal between the NES and SNES. Many people moved to Sega during that period. The DS and 3DS appeal to handheld gamers which are a greater audience than "Nintendo fans." There are fewer alternatives for handhelds. Furthermore, like the Wii, the DS appealed to a casual audience. When I say there are 20 million Nintendo fans, I am being a bit exclusive. I am talking about the people who absolutely love Nintendo. They play their games no matter what, but a sizable portion left Nintendo due to the issue of game diversity and a lack of third party support. I am including the current Wii U owners + those who absolutely love Nintendo but left because they also want other games. The NES, SNES, DS, and 3DS appeal to much more than this group. These extras are unreliable when we determine whether or not Nintendo games will sell much more than they have, because these people aren't necessarily buying the platforms for Nintendo games. The NES, SNES,DS, and 3DS all have had great third party support. The reason why I made that Gamecube comment is because there was a point when the Gamecube cost $100 brand new before the new consoles released. You could find used Gamecubes for $50. People still didn't buy them. Why? Because they weren't Nintendo fans. Any Nintendo fan would've spent $50-$100 for a Gamecube because there was Metroid, Zelda, Mario Kart, Super Smash, F-Zero, Star Fox, etc, etc on the platform. 

When I see PS4/XBO gamers criticize Nintendo, they do so because they find Nintendo's titles to be less cinematic or targeting a child demographic. They criticize Nintendo because Nintendo mostly focuses on the same IP's (without considering the different gameplay implementations Nintendo makes with each title.) These are things that make Nintendo - fundamentally - Nintendo. They don't like what Nintendo is, and want Nintendo to be something else. If Nintendo wanted to expand their audience, then they would have to change for these audiences. I don't see them really gaining as much as people make it seem by having their games on other platforms unless Nintendo changes to target these platform's demographics. Sure, there will be gains, but I find them to be much more conservative than others. The PS4 and XBO audience just doesn't (as a generalization) find Nintendo games all that appealing. A minority of these userbases do, sure, but when we consider the demographic gains we need to consider who actually wants Nintendo games, and honestly if they aren't buying Wii U's or Wii's with all of the great Nintendo support, I can't see them getting really enthusiastic about games like Captain Toad, Donkey Kong, Pikmin, etc. If Nintendo wants to cut into this minority, all they have to do is make an appealing platform with strong titles from their franchises, and this minority will buy their next platform mostly as a secondary console, but also possibly as a primary one. 

hershel_layton said:
KungKras said:

Never had the greatest cases? Does everyone in this thread have memories like goldfishes?

NES, SNES, and Wii won their respecive generations.GC, N64 and Wii U did not. 50% is a bit more than never. And if you think N64 was mediocre, a lot of people disagree with you.

I know they won their generation. what i meant was that the Wii was the only one with God-like numbers.

It's not as though Nintendo is struggling everywhere. They're doing well in Japan. They are a Japanese company. I just think that they need to have some flexibility with their consoles when it comes to the US. 

The Eastern and Western market are extremely different. I think Nintendo needs to see that before advancing further.

I agree with that.When tetris became a phenomenon in eastern europe, Nintendo execs traveled to the soviet union to negotiate licencing the game for NES and GB. Yet they can't do the same when a swedsish guy makes minecraft. Even though they have it now, they should have jumped on that game early and now Microsoft owns the IP.

They really really should try to get the big open world games like GTA and skyrim on their platform as well. They need to have a feel for the western market and recognize key games.

I LOVE ICELAND!