By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - UK Feminist MP arrogantly laughs at the idea of Mens Rights

Ironically, my city's MP literally laughs at a genuine proposal to have one day where men's issues are discussed, similar to how the same (sub?) parliament discussed how to tackle womens issues (and rightly so) on international womens day. Another MP proposed we too have a day therefore to discuss men's issues on international males day (yeah it exists)

Some examples are that in the UK, less males are going to university, and males seem to be doing worse off in education vs many years ago. Also suicide rates amongst men are at an all time high. However, Jess Phillips, my MP btw, does a little fake arrogant laugh at the idea.

What do you think of this? Are men's issues not worth discussing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XX6ATwQv7Q

Around the Network

Is that MP a woman?

ratuscafoarterea said:
Is that MP a woman?

Yup. Went down the typical 'i'm being harassed over twitter' route, a couple people searched her feed and maybe found a couple of vulgar tweets, the rest were disagreements or venting frustrations at her. Ironic because the point he is making that men too need a voice about their concerns is instantly laughed at by the only female in the room. If we can't even get a decent female MP who doesn't shun mens rights, who can honestly complain about the lack of women representation in parliament. 

I can't remember her name but I know there is one woman SNP mp who perfectly stands up for the rights of equality like a labour mp should, for both men women and people of colour, and in the areas where it matters. 

fireburn95 said:

Ironically, my city's MP literally laughs at a genuine proposal to have one day where men's issues are discussed, similar to how the same (sub?) parliament discussed how to tackle womens issues (and rightly so) on international womens day. Another MP proposed we too have a day therefore to discuss men's issues on international males day (yeah it exists)

Some examples are that in the UK, less males are going to university, and males seem to be doing worse off in education vs many years ago. Also suicide rates amongst men are at an all time high. However, Jess Phillips, my MP btw, does a little fake arrogant laugh at the idea.

What do you think of this? Are men's issues not worth discussing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XX6ATwQv7Q

It's a disturbing trend, laughing at actual serious issues.  It's almost like these morons think it's impossible to tackle multiple societal problems at once (why are they even in power then?).  We've been actively working on solving as much of the issues facing women for what, 50 years now, but the second it's pointed out that guys are starting to see serious declines, that's hilarious?  I don't get it, frankly.

Shouldn't we be concerned that 4/5 suicides are male?  Shouldn't we be concerned that young boys are starting to fail in grade school, which is starting to impact College?  In what universe is trading one inequality for another, a good idea?  And how exactly is turning a blind eye to these issues social justice?  Sounds more like Revenge to me, which is absurd.  Most of western society does not adhere to the 'sins of the father' paradigm.  Why then is this acceptable?

Anyway, I don't think it's acceptable for an elected official to laugh off the beginnings of what could be a very real issue.  Is this something that we want to just sit back and let happen without attempting to understand/address, and let it metasticize into something far, far worse?  Or do we want to take it as seriously as we have (and rightfully so, mind you), with women's rights?  Fighting for, or working towards solving these issues, does not mean we stop fighting for other things.  It just means we take all of these issues seriously.

If feminism entirely stood for equality, it wouldn't be called "feminism", now would it?

bet: lost

Around the Network

What MPs think has no effect on the laws of the country; all the power is held by the executive. As such, I ignore everything they say.

A follow up interview. Once again Jess sees no reason why mens issues should have a dedicated centre to be discussed. Perhaps we let the young men kill 'em self eh?

If you want equality you have to work with the other side. Making it adversarial will only slow progress.

For example domestic abuse. Yes, statistically it is something women deal with more and is a major problem we should address. That said domestic violence against men does occur and has a different element in that men are more often shamed about it. Addressing both doesn't diminish either.

I think all people should be equal but... we're not. Men rule, nay I say dominate the world. We run everything. This website, the site that hosted that video, that government, business... everything is owned and run by men with only a very small amount of exceptions. So where I agree that we shouldn't have one day for women and not one for men, I can also relate to the idea being silly for some.

Women like here need to be careful when saying stupid shit like that. There will come a breaking point where men just say fuck these feminist bitches and use their strength and set everything back to the 50s.