By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One: Where Are The Cons?

Naufraguito said:

Honestly, the topic is dull and naive written, maybe on purpose, but praising the Xbox (even ignoring or minimizing the flaws) is not a flamebait.

Praising the hardware, which is inferior.... Is interesting.

Why even bother talking about the hardware?

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:
Netty said:
Chris Hu said:

It all depends on where you live and the time of year.  Neither subscribiton price is set in stone so using it as a disadvantage is pretty pointless.

The prices ARE set in stone - that's what retail prices are - and it's very reasonable to compare these since that's what most people will encounter. Using sale pricing as the basis of a comparison makes no sense since it is temporary.

The prices aren't set in stone pretty much anything can be bought below the suggested retail price.  As a matter of fact some items like cloth shouldn't be bought unless they are at least 50% the suggested retail price unless you like to be ripped off or you are made out of money.

I was referring to the subscription prices (from your original quote), not cloth. And yes you can often find regional/sale/auction pricing on just about anything, but if you're doing an apples-to-apples comparison you're going to use retail prices since that is what most people will encounter. 

Torillian said:
mradx said:

Sure, but even when you say "factual disadvantages" there is kind of a fine line between all of that. XBLive may be cheaper for you, or cheaper for me depending on where you 'live' or where you buy it, and vice versa. Some people may see the power brick or large console size a benefit or may not, and less power on the graphics side (on paper) sure, but even that is debatable without getting super technical about it. It depends on what developers do with that power. But are the differences really that dramatic on screen? Maybe they are for you, maybe they aren't for someone else. 

So at the end of it all, it really comes down to your situation. 

I'm curious what scenario a larger electronic box with a larger power brick would be seen as a benefit.

The power brick is external, meaning if something happened to that element of the console, you would have to replace the power brick only. PS4 sure it's a got a nice clean package but it's internal. What happens if your power supply fries? You have to send the whole console in to Sony for repair, and who knows how much they'll charge for that. I don't bank on it failing, but anything can happen. So it's more of an argument about something being designed "sleek" and all in one which has it's pros and cons, and a power brick which also has it's cosmetic pros and cons. 

mradx said:
Torillian said:
mradx said:

Sure, but even when you say "factual disadvantages" there is kind of a fine line between all of that. XBLive may be cheaper for you, or cheaper for me depending on where you 'live' or where you buy it, and vice versa. Some people may see the power brick or large console size a benefit or may not, and less power on the graphics side (on paper) sure, but even that is debatable without getting super technical about it. It depends on what developers do with that power. But are the differences really that dramatic on screen? Maybe they are for you, maybe they aren't for someone else. 

I'm curious what scenario a larger electronic box with a larger power brick would be seen as a benefit.

The power brick is external, meaning if something happened to that element of the console, you would have to replace the power brick only. PS4 sure it's a got a nice clean package but it's internal. What happens if your power supply fries? You have to send the whole console in to Sony for repair, and who knows how much they'll charge for that. I don't bank on it failing, but anything can happen. So it's more of an argument about something being designed "sleek" and all in one which has it's pros and cons, and a power brick which also has it's cosmetic pros and cons. 

and the overall larger size?

snyperdud said:
mradx said:

I can't imagine a scenario where the bigger size of a console would be a benefit, but you're right, to each their own I suppose. As far as the hardware is concerned, there is really no debate there, the PS4 is more the more powerful of the two. There may not be a huge diffference on screen, but it is a disadvantage.

It's part cosmetic, part heat efficiency. It has lesser chance of overheating than the PS4 does. But you might hate the size of the X1, and it might not fit in with your entertainment setup. I mean everything has its pros and cons, there's all sorts of variables.

Around the Network

I was referring to the subscription prices (from your original quote), not cloth. And yes you can often find regional/sale/auction pricing on just about anything, but if you're doing an apples-to-apples comparison you're going to use retail prices since that is what most people will encounter. 

Most more like some.  Like I said before comparing similar priced items is pointless it all depends on where you live and what is on sale.

mradx said:
snyperdud said:

I can't imagine a scenario where the bigger size of a console would be a benefit, but you're right, to each their own I suppose. As far as the hardware is concerned, there is really no debate there, the PS4 is more the more powerful of the two. There may not be a huge diffference on screen, but it is a disadvantage.

It's part cosmetic, part heat efficiency. It has lesser chance of overheating than the PS4 does. But you might hate the size of the X1, and it might not fit in with your entertainment setup. I mean everything has its pros and cons, there's all sorts of variables.

That was Microsoft's decision. They sacrificed form factor for cooling, and I understand why after what they had to deal with the 360's. However, the sheer size of the console compared to it's competitors would still be a disadvantage in most people's eyes.

For me, having used both, even though I currently only own the PS4, I will say that the size isn't that much of an issue for any consoles I have owned. Same for the power brick. I'm with d21lewis on that one. Once your console is plugged in and settled on your desk/furniture, you usually don't move it much, so I don't see why those two aspects should be considered issues.

The main cons I can think of are that it doesn't have as many console exclusive as the competition, and the UI, while visually pleasing, still isn't as intuitive as it should.

It's also not as powerful as the competition, which means the multiplatform games usually run smoother and with higher resolution on the PS4, but the differences usually don't make the games bad, and they still look good anyway.

In any case, it has Ori and the Blind Forest, so it has at least that point over the PS4.

I think the OP copied and pasted this from the Xbox One product description from Amazon.

Ignoring the PR bs in the OP, there is nothing wrong with the Xbox One and it's a testament to gamers for making the console what it is today. Original focus for XB1 started to forget about how important gaming was on a gaming console but now the XB1 is a real good console.

Although people question how popular Halo, Gears and Forza is, those 3 franchises are a very strong foundation to build a console from. MS are also investing a few interesting projects.

it doesnt matter how many of these Jega makes, everything is pretty much set in stone