By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who here still plays in Standard Def?

Yeah,, I still play standard def but I wouldn't mind upgrading to a nice 46" LCD.

Around the Network
supermariogalaxy said:
Me.....How do Wii games look on HDTVs?????

It really depends on the quality of the TV. Get a good Samsung or Sony and the games will look nearly as good as they would on a 480p-native CRT. Get a cheap off-brand like Olevia or something, and they'll look like crap. It all depends on the quality of your TV's scaler chip.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

I have a 24" monitor with a VGA port and a component-to-VGA converter. Which is basically the same as having an HDTV, only more useful. So yes, I technically do play in high definition. Though the only system I run on it is my Wii, which looks remarkably good in 480p. Funny... I've seen 4 different levels of display quality with my Wii: A/V 480i, S-Video 480i, Component 480i, and Component 480p.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

IllegalPaladin said:
TomaTito said:

Yep, in SD till this sucker breaks, not spending a penny on an HDTV until this happens.

( My TV and Wii match )

lol, we were the same way. My parents didn't want to get a new TV and then the tube on our SD CRT went out and now we have an HDTV that's amazing when it comes to games and movies.

Cool, you got lucky there! What is the standard life cycle of an SDTV? This one has been around for 10 years, and I see it living for another 5, damn.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Garcian Smith said:
supermariogalaxy said:
Me.....How do Wii games look on HDTVs?????

It really depends on the quality of the TV. Get a good Samsung or Sony and the games will look nearly as good as they would on a 480p-native CRT. Get a cheap off-brand like Olevia or something, and they'll look like crap. It all depends on the quality of your TV's scaler chip.

We have a good 60" Sony 1080p TV and I think it looks better on SDTV's. We ran the Wii in 4:3 mode so the image wouldn't be stretched. It looked clear and such, but I noticed many more jaggies when compared to a small SDTV.

---

Anyway, one of my room mate's got a core 360 from his girlfriend (finally picked up a hard drive for it recently so he can actually save his games now, lol big deal for him and rightly so). Being a core 360, it only came with composite cables and despite my constant offering to bring my universal (PS1/2/3, Xbox, 360) component cables, he would always connect his 360 to the HDTV using his composite cables. So earler this week I brought my component cables out and connected it up to him and he was suddenly saying "Holy crap! I can actually see stuff!" and "Is that sweat (he was playing a NBA game) on these guys!".

So yea, you'll think it's enough, but wait till you actually get that HDTV.

Around the Network

SD TVs are a fickle lot. The manufacturer and year of release can have a huge impact on how long it'll last, as well as how often you use it. My parents have two TVs that still work fine after moderate use for about 15 years.

@IllegalPaladin

You do know that the Wii has a 16:9 widescreen setting, right? And a setting to put it in 480p, listed as EDTV.

@Sky Render,

Yea, our old Sony SDTV probably lasted about 10 years or so before it's tube finally started to go out.

yep still have my SD tv and I still game on it, although I only have a PS2 at the present time.

I will however be getting my self a brand new HDtv along with the PS3 in the coming months, just waiting to see when Sony will release the new Bravia HDtv models, they look sweet.

I play on an CRT. It looks good, so i only imagine what it would like in a HDTV in 720p.

www.jamesvandermemes.com