By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is your most unpopular opinion about gaming?

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is hugely and widely overrated.

PC gaming is not as good and God-tier as its fans make it out to be.

2D Mario games are immensely better than the 3D Mario games.

Around the Network

SMT over final fantasy

Metal Gear Solid is melodramatic nonsense with bad gameplay(haven't played 5 though)
Last of Us is average
PS2 was the worst 6th gen console
Pointer-aiming is better than stick-aiming
Turn-based combat sucks in videogames
Grand Theft Auto 4 is borderline shovelware
What Telltale makes is not games
Resident Evil .1-3 and Code Veronica are the best Resident Evil-games
Wii was a great console

StarOcean said:
I think turn-based combat is the best kind of combat for RPGs

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I just cannot get into big 100+ hour action-RPGs like Xenoblade, but I can easily pour 300+ hours into Pokemon and Fire Emblem Fates (it IS a turn-based game, but in a very different style to Pokemon.)

Also:

- The addition of marriages and children as a central feature in FE: Awakening made it, and to an even greater extent, Fates, much much better games.
- Based on the games, both exclusive to it, and available on the VC, 3DS is the best console ever made. 
- Zelda and Metroid as a whole are very overrated.
- So called "AAA games" (Witcher, MGS, Bloodborne, etc.) are extremely tedious nad boring, with very few exceptions.
- Thanks to the rise of these AAA games, gaming as a whole is becoming more of the same, as all AAA games are nearly identical to each other.

animegaming said:

that the AAA games are the definition of soulless and everything from sequels to even new IP's are all starting to feel the same to me.

I'll have to agree with you on this, I only have a Wii U  + a PC that I bought to play some more demanding games. The truth is, most of the upcoming games I'm looking forward to playing on PC are either indies or non-AAA games like A Hat in Time, Yooka-Laylee, SuperHOT, Planet Coaster, etc.

Why even bother making new IP's if the games are so similar to existing ones? It's like creating a new Assassin's Creed and renaming it to something like ''Path of the Assassin's'', it would technically be a new franchise, but the game itself would be more of the same thing, lol. Also, this reminds me of Ubisoft's E3 this year, where they showed Rainbox Six Siege and the new Ghost Recon, I thought they were a single game, they looked so similar to each other.

Finally, my unpopular opinion is that games these days are focusing too much on graphics and realism that it's making them kinda bland and less fun overall. It's fine to have realistic and/or high-budget games, but we need more variety. If anything we need more new games from abandoned IP's like Bomberman, Crash Bandicoot, and so on.

Around the Network

I think WRPGs sucks.

Level 5 is one one the most overrated RPG developer.

Bamco's localization policy is ok.
Anime games didn't kill JRPG.
7th gen was terrible because of its emphasis on open world.
Linear games allow for better storytelling thus linear games are superior.
Kingdom Hearts handeld games are good, except for CoM that was just ok and BBS was great.
Final Fantasy quality never dropped. XII and XIII were great games and good FF games.
FFXIII battle system is superior to VII.
P3>P4.

Skyward Sword, Bayonetta 1 & 2 and Xenoblade Chronicles X are all terrible games. Super Mario Maker is the best game Nintendo released this generation (ALBW is second and Splatoon is third).

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

The Last of Us is a good but extremely overrated game.

The Xenoblade series has the worst combat system ever created for home consoles JRPGs.

Turn Based RPGS >>> ARPGs

I think esports is stupid and boring.