By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is your most unpopular opinion about gaming?

Mine? That the vast majority of so-called modern "AAA" releases, first and third party, are just not all that great.

That includes the Tomb Raiders, Resident Evils, Uncharteds, Assassins Creeds, Halos, CoDs, GTAs, etc. etc. etc.

Gaming just isn't what it used to be. At least mainstream that is. I still find quite a lot from the indie crowd that is far more creative or fun to play.

I guess I'm just old, and prefer older gaming. Either that or older games were actually fun and withstand the test of time, while over the last couple generations, modern gaming has gotten more and more about flash and not so much substance. Or both. *shrug*

Around the Network

Skyward Sword = The Wind Waker > Twilight Princess > Ocarina of Time

The WiiU controller is perfect for spreading peanut butter. Perfect!

-Today gaming is less an art form than it has ever been.
-Naughty Dog's games quality has declined after Jason Rubin left the company (in 2004).
- The 3DS is the worst handheld ever designed by Nintendo.
- The IR pointer of the Wii is still the best way of playing shooter games on consoles (though only 3-4 games used it correctly).
- Metacritic is the death of game critics.

AsGryffynn said:
COKTOE said:
Final Fantasy 13 is THE BEST final fantasy in the main series. Quite serious.

Not the best, but it had a lot of undeserved bashing. The battle system was pretty sweet, as were the graphics...

Bingo! The game's greatness revealed itself fairly slowly as far as the battle system is concerned. The further you go, the better it gets. The graphics were undeniably great as well. I was playing FF XIII-2 and enjoying it too. 40+ hours in, and I realized I had been building my characters totally wrong, so I erased my save files with the intentoin of stating over. Will probably never do that and finish the series. Was really enjoying the vibe of part 2. Should have bit down and just finished it, and then 3. But again, we have some common ground with FF 13. My fav of all is FF Tactics.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
freebs2 said:
-Today gaming is less an art form than it has ever been.
-Naughty Dog's games quality has declined after Jason Rubin left the company (in 2004).
- The 3DS is the worst handheld ever designed by Nintendo.
- The IR pointer of the Wii is still the best way of playing shooter games on consoles (though only 3-4 games used it correctly).
- Metacritic is the death of game critics.

Wow. I agree with almost every one of your points, except 3DS. I think it's fine, save that "3D" effects, to me, have always been a terrible gimmick, be it for movies or games. The system itself, with the 3D turned off, is just fine, with a lot of really good games.

I wish Naughty Dog would have stuck to making more colorful, creative, interesting games. To ME, personally, on PS3 they moved onto making generic "gray and brown" shooter based games. And I simply wasn't interested.

I would also argue that there have still been some VERY artistic games here and there, especially indies. But in general, yes, the medium going mainstream and being based around GameStop preorders and "AAA" blockbusters releases, really has taken a lot of the soul out of it.

I have no unpopular opinions on gaming.

Though, I do like Pokemon.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

d21lewis said:
The WiiU controller is perfect for spreading peanut butter. Perfect!

You got it wrong this time; the OP asked for unpopular opinions. People don't eat peanut butter, aside Nutella, these days, so that's why Wii U's been selling so badly.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Azuren said:
A_Robo_Commando said:
Azuren said:
A_Robo_Commando said:

FF8 is the best FF. I don't like Skyrim, The Witcher 3, or MGSV enough to play more than a couple hours. I think some open world games (some that everyone loves) lack direction to a fault.

*high five* My favorite is V, but VIII is easily the most underrated (with IX being the most overrated).

At least most people acknowledge how great FF8's soundtrack is.

I would actually take FF9 over FF7 without too much thought. It's hard for me to say something is overrated--usually I can understand where people are coming from when it comes to issues with games. I think "overrated" has taken on a negative meaning. Usually when someone says something is overrated, I get the impression that they're saying everyone with a differing opinion is wrong. Probably because they generally follow up with points trying to get you to see how the game is somehow objectively "overrated". (Not that you would). Just thinking about it makes me laugh.

At least when I see people gush over VII, I can understand it. VII made an entire genre relevant and mainstream in the West. But IX? It was the last PS1 Final Fantasy. That's about it. Even looking at it without the rose- or shit-colored glasses, it made no real splash, it was simply better looking than VII or VIII for having come out last. 

All I'm saying is, despite all the internet praise it gets, it was unimportant. People were already anticipating a Final Fantasy on PS2 by the time it came out. 

I don't need to look at it like that. I've replayed the game several times over the years and it still stands as the best in the series in my opinion. The overrated ones in the series in my opinion are IV and VII. Both good games, but not to the extent people often make them up to be.

DevilRising said:

I wish Naughty Dog would have stuck to making more colorful, creative, interesting games. To ME, personally, on PS3 they moved onto making generic "gray and brown" shooter based games. And I simply wasn't interested.

I'm not an Uncharted fan but to call those games "gray and brown" is a complete misrepresentation. All the way from the first game to UC3, the trilogy has a vibrant color palette. If you have a problem with the gameplay as a shooter that's fine, but they aren't lacking in color variety.