By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create Numbers : 3/10 - 3/16

Untill we will see some real Japanese pushers , I wont think the PS3 will manage huge numbers ... FFXIII where the f**k are you ?

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
Riot Of The Blood said:
@FinalEvangelion:

No, I'm not betting against my favorite system.

@Louie:

FF isn't as big as you think it is. PS3 needs a 5m user base in order to sale 1m first week.

Alright, fair enough.  But look at FF7 and FF10.  Both released on 5 mil userbase with 2 mil first week.

If anything, FF 13 would be the one sales anomaly knowing Japanese culture and this game.  Hell, this game cold probably break 500k on X360 first week in Japan. 

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Riot Of The Blood said:
@FinalEvangelion:

@Louie:

FF isn't as big as you think it is. PS3 needs a 5m user base in order to sale 1m first week.

I don´t think it needs such a big userbase to do so. Remember, Final Fantasy is THE game Japanese people buy their Playstation 3 for. 1 million first week is not impossible. As I said what really matters are the legs and that is where I expect the game to fall short of expectations.

Louie said:
Riot Of The Blood said:
@FinalEvangelion:

@Louie:

I don´t think it needs such a big userbase to do so. Remember, Final Fantasy is THE game Japanese people buy their Playstation 3 for. 1 million first week is not impossible. As I said what really matters are the legs and that is where I expect the game to fall short of expectations.

That is what I think as well.  In worst case scenario for PS3 in Japan, I think many people are buying their PS3 just for this game.  

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

NJ5 said:
rukusa said:
To me it seems like alot of people are dramatizing the situation of the PS3. As long as software sales are decent I dont see a reason to worry.

But are they decent? I don't think so, in fact I think they're poor. Software which only appeals to Japanese gamers on the PS3 doesn't seem to have much hope for profitability.

Capcom seems to think so too, as they moved Monster Hunter 3 to the Wii, and that's an example of a game which appeals mainly to Japanese gamers.

-Better compared to the 360? No question. The PS3 outperforming the most direct competitor.

-Hardcore games still have to to proves themselves on the Wii. Winning Eleven Wii, Zack & Wiki & No More Heroes have for example undeservably suffered in the japanese market.

Honestly Im seeing PS3 software improve at each release. After the debut they do drop bu each time the drop seems to be more and more acceptable.

My worry is that only Nintendo made games seem to sell fantastically on the Wii in Japan. Almost anything else gets ignored or drops out by the next week.

The hardcore Wii crowd may have the right to scold the PS3 for its Hardware sales, but when it comes down to the software sales they stand in the same position where they should focus more on that aspect. After what counts more to the developers and publishers is how much the game sells on the console regardless of how large the userbase is.

I would love to see both the PS3 and Wii flourish on the hardcore market. But so far only former seems to do so.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

Around the Network
MANUELF said:
PSP very high in hardware and horrible in software, PSP not is a game console.
PS3 can dig his grave, is practically dead in Japan.

JOIN THE CLUB

YEAH AT THIS RATE EVEN FINAL FANTASY 13 WONT SELL 1M COPIES ON ITS 1ST WEEK IN JAPAN

Riot Of The Blood said:
rukusa said:
To me it seems like alot of people are dramatizing the situation of the PS3. As long as software sales are decent I dont see a reason to worry.

Software sales are shit on the PS3. I'm starting to think Final Fantasy won't sale 1m in Japan....

The way I see it Japan is the Final Fantasy series' greatest market. The main FFs sell on the name alone.

I cant believe you said that a main Final Fantasy game wont sell 1 million Japan alone . To me that sounds like a main Mario game being unable to hit a million. Its all about brand name, and Final Fantasy has build that just like Dragon Quest and Mario has in Japan.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

ps3 is doing shit in japan. in japan, ps3's direct competitor SHOULD be the wii, not 360, because they are both japanese consoles that should be appealling to that market. wii is fulfilling that appeal, ps3 is failing horribly.

360 shouldn't even be brought into the discussion when talking about competition in japan. it's not a crap console, it's just not a console that could compete in japan. ps3 is dying, 360 is dead and buried, whilst wii is just pissing all over ms and sony (no pun intended)

rukusa said:
NJ5 said:

-Better compared to the 360? No question. The PS3 outperforming the most direct competitor.

-Hardcore games still have to to proves themselves on the Wii. Winning Eleven Wii, Zack & Wiki & No More Heroes have for example undeservably suffered in the japanese market.

Honestly Im seeing PS3 software improve at each release. After the debut they do drop bu each time the drop seems to be more and more acceptable.

My worry is that only Nintendo made games seem to sell fantastically on the Wii in Japan. Almost anything else gets ignored or drops out by the next week.

The hardcore Wii crowd may have the right to scold the PS3 for its Hardware sales, but when it comes down to the software sales they stand in the same position where they should focus more on that aspect. After what counts more to the developers and publishers is how much the game sells on the console regardless of how large the userbase is.

I would love to see both the PS3 and Wii flourish on the hardcore market. But so far only former seems to do so.

That´s not completely true. You have to remember that 3rd party efforts on Wii so far have been only mediocre. Many games where of bad quality and bigger games like Monster Hunter and Fatal Frame won´t hit earlier than 2009. Sales of a game really depend on the quality of the title and so far the quality of 3rd party titles has been really bad on the Wii. The same happened to the NDS: The first two years have been dominated by Nintendo games but now the system really sells on the strength of 3rd party releases. The same will happen to the Wii once great 3rd party efforts appear on the system.

The main issue is the audience - Wii owners are not necessarily younger than Playstation 3 owners but they like a different type of games - games like Guitar Hero, My Sims, Lego Star Wars and The Simpsons sell very well on the Wii, just like "mature" games like Resident Evil but all in all the audience is not that much hunting for "realistic" games and that´s what 3rd parties have to get used to before they can sell a good amount of games.

But they will get used to it, there is no other possibility for Japan-centric games as of now: The Playstation 3 sales are not good enough to put a lot of effort into a PS3 game that will only sell in Japan and a port to the Xbox 360 wouldn´t make a lot of sense for such a game, too. Therefore developers will have to get used to the Wii.