By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What is, in your opinion, the best Mario lineup possible for ONE console generation ?

Lately I've been thinking about Mario games, in particular I've been wondering what I could expect from the next entries in the various Mario series such as Mario Kart 9, Mario Party 11, the next big 3D Mario game and so on. So after that I asked myself "how can Nintendo possibly  have a lineup of Mario games for one geration that is FULL of good games, but that doesn't annoy the fans with too many titles?"

I want to ask the same question to all of you and I'd apreciate a lot if you followed the following rules:

-List all of the Mario games in the line up by name if they are part of an already established series/are sequels/remakes of already done Mario games;

-If you have any Idea that you really like about a totally new Mario game list it and explain it at your liking;

-If you simply want one or more Mario games in a different key list them specifying HOW MANY of them you want;

-If you want, list the games in a release schedule order, in this case try to make a schedule of minimum 4 years (a medium/short lifecycle )

Around the Network

Mario should be scaled back imo. Two 3D Marios and one MK is enough. Leave the 2D games for their handhelds. Mario is getting to the point where it's teetering on fatigue and that's the last thing Nintendo needs.

I think the sequencing of mainline games and spinoffs has been fine -- it's more an issue of quality of the spinoffs. If it's a low quality release, I'm not overwhelmed with too many Mario games in a given time - I'm underwhelmed by a franchise that deserves better.

I've always thought a fusion of Mario Party and New Super Mario Bros or Mario 3D world would be great

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

AlfredoTurkey said:
Mario should be scaled back imo. Two 3D Marios and one MK is enough. Leave the 2D games for their handhelds. Mario is getting to the point where it's teetering on fatigue and that's the last thing Nintendo needs.

So Mario Party, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Mario RPGs, Mario vs DK should all just die?

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

fleischr said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

So Mario Party, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Mario RPGs, Mario vs DK should all just die?

I don't think the world would miss any of those titles in any significant way, no. The NES and SNES are their greatest consoles and back then, they trimmed the fat alot better and I think it was the right thing to do. 

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
fleischr said:

I don't think the world would miss any of those titles in any significant way, no. The NES and SNES are their greatest consoles and back then, they trimmed the fat alot better and I think it was the right thing to do. 

The Mario RPGs would be definitely be missed. I can agree with the other spin-offs though.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

[New] Super Mario World
[New] Mario Party
[New] Paper Mario/Mario RPG
[New] Mario Kart

Mario Sports: A new series that would include all of the previous Mario sports titles in it, using the same roster across the board. It would include:

• Football/Soccer (alá Mario Strikers)
  • Baseball (alá Mario Superstar Baseball)
  • Basketball (alá Mario Hoops 3x3)
  • Tennis (alá Mario Tennis)
  • American Football/Rugby (New)

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

AZWification said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

The Mario RPGs would be definitely be missed. I can agree with the other spin-offs though.

Yeah, but did we even get one for Wii-U? 

Super Mario 3D Platformer
Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG 2 - jointly developed by Square and Nintendo

No more Mario Party or Mario Sports.

Just please bring back Mario Strikers and don't make it terrible like Ultra-Smash