By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What is, in your opinion, the best Mario lineup possible for ONE console generation ?

zorg1000 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Sure, if you want to count pre-school, educational bullshit that no one cared or even knew about. I was talking about main games. You know, that people actually paid attention to? That wasn't niche and buried on arrival? So, allow ME to trim your little list down.

1985 - SMB

1988 - SMB2

1990 - SMB3

1991- SMW

1992 - MK

1995 - SMW2

That's six titles in 10 years. Mario All Stars is bullshit because it was a port. Since the Wii launched 9 years ago, I can think of 8 major Mario releases NOT including Mario Party, Tennis, Golf or whatever else they have released. If you add those in, holy shit... 

Why does a game like Mario Maker count but Mario Paint doesn't? It's basically a spiritual successor to MP. Also Mario All-stars weren't ports, they were remakes.

Mario Maker is actually a brand new concept. I'd put Mario Maker in the same sort of category as say... Paper Mario. All-Stars was just a cart with NES games on it.

Around the Network
guiduc said:
pleaserecycle said:
Super Mario 3D Platformer
Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG 2 - jointly developed by Square and Nintendo

No more Mario Party or Mario Sports.

I agree. Another enhanced Mario Maker someday too with a brand new engine maybe?

Although I own Super Mario Maker, I haven't played it yet.... admiteddly, I'm way too invested in Xenoblade Chronicles X.  :D

SNES and N64 had it perfectly. For SNES, we received Super Mario World, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Mario Kart, and Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. That's a GOAT lineup.

N64 had Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, and Paper Mario, with the seasonings being the first three Mario Party games.

Gamecube had it close with Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and Mario Kart: Double Dash (two of my favorites in their respective series), but Super Mario Sunshine fell short and the Gamecube Mario Party games were mediocre.

Wii had two great 3DMario platformers, a good Mario 2D platformer, one solid Mario platformer/RPG hybrid, and no good Mario Party games with (imo) an average Mario Kart. Not a winner, imo.

Wii U has Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros. U, and Mario Kart 8. Not even going to bother with the farce Mario Party game. Again, not a winner because it lacks the RPG.

In my opinion, the perfect lineup for Mario during a generation would be:

A great 3D Mario platformer
A great Mario Kart
and a great Mario RPG (whether Paper or Super Mario RPG style. No Mario and Luigi, pls)

zorg1000 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
fleischr said:

So Mario Party, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Mario RPGs, Mario vs DK should all just die?

I don't think the world would miss any of those titles in any significant way, no. The NES and SNES are their greatest consoles and back then, they trimmed the fat alot better and I think it was the right thing to do. 

Did they really trim the fat better then?

1988-Super Mario Bros 2

1989-Super Mario Land

1990-Super Mario Bros 3, Dr. Mario

1991-Super Mario World

1992-Super Mario Land 2, Mario Paint, Super Mario Kart, Mario is Missing

1993-Super Mario All-Stars, Mario & Wario, Mario's Time Machine, Yoshi's Safari

1994-Super Mario Land 3, Mario's Early Years! Fun With Letters, Fun with Numbers, Preschool Fun

1995-Super Mario World 2, Mario's Picross

Plus his likeness was used in their various sports games like Punch-Out, Golf, Tennis, etc.

Nes open Golf was the first real Mario golf ( and it was great,with courses programmed and designed by Satoru Iwata).

Besides nes open, Mario Bros. the arcade game was missed for the nes.

People overlook all the stuff they didn't like from the early consoles, Mario has been in tons since day one. 

A lot of people still by the spinoffs so, maybe they aren't for you but, personally I like having Mario on a game name because they always put out a game with really great controls that play well. If im at all interested in the genre, i know it will play well (even if it might not have all the features I want or enought varied content).

3D Mario
Mario Kart
Paper Mario
Mario Maker sequel.

That's it. The "New" Super Mario Bros. series needs to die. As do the individual sports games and Mario Party. Rather than Wii Sports or Wii Party, maybe make a "Nintendo Party" or "Nintendo Sports" (Maybe even Super Smash Kart?) next gen Nintendo? Having the Wii games and then the Mario ones on top is over-saturation and the prime way to cause fatigue.

Around the Network
lasershow said:
zorg1000 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
fleischr said:

So Mario Party, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Mario RPGs, Mario vs DK should all just die?

I don't think the world would miss any of those titles in any significant way, no. The NES and SNES are their greatest consoles and back then, they trimmed the fat alot better and I think it was the right thing to do. 

Did they really trim the fat better then?

1988-Super Mario Bros 2

1989-Super Mario Land

1990-Super Mario Bros 3, Dr. Mario

1991-Super Mario World

1992-Super Mario Land 2, Mario Paint, Super Mario Kart, Mario is Missing

1993-Super Mario All-Stars, Mario & Wario, Mario's Time Machine, Yoshi's Safari

1994-Super Mario Land 3, Mario's Early Years! Fun With Letters, Fun with Numbers, Preschool Fun

1995-Super Mario World 2, Mario's Picross

Plus his likeness was used in their various sports games like Punch-Out, Golf, Tennis, etc.

Nes open Golf was the first real Mario golf ( and it was great,with courses programmed and designed by Satoru Iwata).

Besides nes open, Mario Bros. the arcade game was missed for the nes.

People overlook all the stuff they didn't like from the early consoles, Mario has been in tons since day one. 

A lot of people still by the spinoffs so, maybe they aren't for you but, personally I like having Mario on a game name because they always put out a game with really great controls that play well. If im at all interested in the genre, i know it will play well (even if it might not have all the features I want or enought varied content).

I like a bunch of the Mario spinoffs, my post was a response to another poster who said their are too many Mario games now but NES/SNES had the perfect amount, I was just showing him there were a ton of Mario spinoffs back then as well.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

fleischr said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
Mario should be scaled back imo. Two 3D Marios and one MK is enough. Leave the 2D games for their handhelds. Mario is getting to the point where it's teetering on fatigue and that's the last thing Nintendo needs.

Mario Party needs to be one game per generation, Mario RPG also one game per generation, Mario Tennis and Mario Golf need to die or to become part of Mario Sports game, Mario vs DK can dye or stay small eShop game like this gen.

Other than that, Mario Kart need to stay one game per generation, one 2D Mario game per generation and definitely two 3D Mario games per generation if that is possible.

So basicly something like this per generation:

- 3D Mario - 2 games if it's possible (for instance I would love completly new 3D Mario game and Mario 3D World 2 on NX).
- Mario Kart - 1 game
- 2D Mario (but no more NSMB, something difrent) - 1 game
- Paper Mario/Mario RPG - 1 game
- Mario Sports - 1 game
- Mario Party - 1 game

copy&pasta cuz he put it so much better:

Miyamotoo said:

So basicly something like this per generation:

- 3D Mario - 2 games if it's possible.
- Mario Kart - 1 game
- 2D Mario (but no more NSMB, something difrent) - 1 game  (got enough 2D mario to last a decade, no more plz)
- Paper Mario/Mario RPG - 2 game
- Mario Sports - 1 game
- Mario Party - 1 game

^ this is what I want from 1 gen of nintendo console.

For me, it would be:
One 2D Platformer
One 3D Platformer
One Mario Kart
Two RPGs, (Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi)
All the other spinoff games such (Mario Party, Mario Tennis and other sports games) in my view should become its own seperate franchise that uses our Miis. Make them a great series of multiplayer party games, AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GIVE THEM ONLINE MULTIPLAYER!

Edit: Oh, and one Luigi's Mansion game. Almost forgot.