By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Force Awakens sucks! *MAJOR SPOILERS*

Jazz2K said:

Kylo Ren was badass... until he removed his helmet. Please couldn't they do a better job with his haircut. He looked like someone that takes care of his hair all the time.                                   

Yeah, I was a little taken aback by how he looked. Too much "boy band cuteness". What's weird is, when I first saw him on TV he was sporting this facial hair that I thought made him look properly evil. Then he took off his mask and he was this handsome boy band baby face and I was like, "wow, that...removes a lot of the menace".

But I suspect he's going to be getting a bit of a dark side makeover by the next one, now that he has given himself fully to the dark side. Maybe at least get Anakin's eyes from Revenge of the Sith.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
amp316 said:

Oh, and Kylo Ren is by far the weakest main villain in the entire series.  At first I really thought that they were on to something with a sinister and powerful force wielder that was prone to temper tantrums.  Turns out that he isn't a bad ass at all.  In fact, he can be defeated in a lightsaber duel by someone that has zero training.  And I also wasn't too impressed with Supreme Leader Snoke or whatever his name was...

I just want to pick up on this part of your OP with a few points of my own. The whole Kylo being weak thing is not exactly a con on his character. It's deliberate.

• At 3 different parts of the film we are shown how immature he is compared to the likes of Vader, Maul, Dooku or Sidious with his lightsaber tantrums and Rey slapping him down on how insignificant he is compared to Vader.
  • At the end of the film, we are told that he has yet to finish his training. We are told directly that he isn't at the level of his predecessors.
  • During the fight with Finn and Rey, you have to look at a bigger picture of what just happened. He killed his own father and was shot in the gut by Chewbacca's ultra-powerful Bowcaster. Not only is he emotionally unstable at that point, but the guy has a hole punched right into his stomach. He's bleeding out.

Actually, after my second viewing of the film I noticed that not only is he injured during the fight but he's playing with Finn all the way up until Finn gets the lucky shot in. Kylo knocks him to the floor and lets him get up. He pins him up against the tree to torture him with the cross-guard. He was punishing Finn until he got caught. As soon as Finn gets the lucky swipe, Kylo pushed his shit in. After this, he isn't actually trying to kill Rey. He's trying to recruit her

Kylo is third to Vader and Sidious when it comes to just how good they are, because his character actually has significant development. He's trying to live up to what Vader was, yet knows he can't leave that ever looming shadow of his grandfather.

Okay then.  Tell me how Kylo can stop a laser blast early in the movie but lets Chewie nail him with his bowgun while letting out a loud Wookie yell?  I know.  You'll tell me something about how he just killed his Daddy or something.

You really think that he's third to Vader and Sidious?  How about Darth Maul?  The mysterious dark warrior that held his own with two Jedi and actually killed one of them.  How about Dooku?  The guy that could cause avalanches or shoot lighting out of his fingertips using the force?  I would also place Dark Helmet over him he was was the obvious inspiration for Kylo's character.  

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

amp316 said:

Okay then.  Tell me how Kylo can stop a laser blast early in the movie but lets Chewie nail him with his bowgun while letting out a loud Wookie yell?  I know.  You'll tell me something about how he just killed his Daddy or something.

You really think that he's third to Vader and Sidious?  How about Darth Maul?  The mysterious dark warrior that held his own with two Jedi and actually killed one of them.  How about Dooku?  The guy that could cause avalanches or shoot lighting out of his fingertips using the force?  I would also place Dark Helmet over him he was was the obvious inspiration for Kylo's character.  

He just killed his daddy and Chewie's bowcaster is OP all throughout the movie.

As a character, yeah, he is third. The problem with Maul and Dooku is that they had no real character development. Maul was a mystery until he appeared in TCW and Dooku was underutilised with his death at the start of Sith.

1.3 billion, huh? Obviously, Disney's blitzkrieg marketing worked.

The more I think about it, the less and less I like this movie. TFA seems like the result of research done by Disney through focus groups. Hmmm. Let's see. How do we sell this movie to everyone? Let's borrow plot points heavily from the original movie, give it a retro look, and use sound effects from the original trilogy in order to get the old fans to enjoy it by appealing to their nostalgia. That'll work.

Also, how to we broaden the demographic that watches these movies? Let's make the main heroes a woman and a black guy since Star Wars isn't as popular as it could be with girls and black guys (This statement isn't meant to say that one or both of the heroes shouldn't be female or black. I just feel as though Disney did this to broaden the appeal of the movie. Look at how there is a princess of every color now).

Also, get the old farts to come out by having Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher come back. Throw in Nein Numb and Admiral Ackabar for a second to once again tap into the old fan's nostalgia. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Oh, and let's forget about R2D2 completely in this movie since having vital information inside him again would be too obvious.. Let's make a newer and cuter droid that we can sell to the kids. Cha-ching!

And is Harry Potter still cool? Let's make Snoke look like a Harry Potter character.

Don't forget to give reviewers advance screenings for favorable reviews. I'm sure that some non-professionals will complain on the internet since they aren't mindless drones, but people will laugh them off and call them trolls since Rotten Tomatoes should be in in the high 90s by my calculations. Positive reviews by REAL critics will be sure to fool the masses. Sure, regular people on IMDB and video game sites will be split, but trolls... Ha! Ha!

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

1.3 Billion without China.

Its gonna breeeeeeeze by 2 Billion WW.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
1.3 Billion without China.

Its gonna breeeeeeeze by 2 Billion WW.

Yep, just like that awseome movie Avatar.

amp316 said:

Yep, just like that awseome movie Avatar.

And the multiple Academy Award winning Titanic!

Watched it a few days ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Will probably go see it again. Found it immensely entertaining, and that's all that really matters. Obviously the major plot points were a big retread of episode 4, but it was incredibly well executed, and I really loved all the new characters (fantastic performances), plus it had a really nice amount of humor where it was easily the funniest Star Wars movie, without it feeling forced or like an inappropriate amount.

That said, even on one viewing, I could pick this movie to pieces if I felt so inclined, but I could do that with just about any movie (certainly any Star Wars movie). Ultimately, what it comes down to for me is this....episode 7 is as much as I've enjoyed the franchise in ages. It hits all the right notes, and sets a canvas for future episodes to really shine, and hopefully take some more creative liberties.

Just to put an end to the dumb coments about how Kylo couldnt stop the bowcaster shot and hwy he lost the duel. http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/12/31/star-wars-the-force-awakens-released-script-and-novelization-offer-new-details-on-the-ending-and-more?utm

Thats the official script, says pretty much everythign everyone who actualy payed atention to the movie and saw Adams Driver expressions and body language already knew, he was conflicted after killing his father and therefore was weakened and he was afraid on his duel x Rey.

DakonBlackblade said:

Just to put an end to the dumb coments about how Kylo couldnt stop the bowcaster shot and hwy he lost the duel. http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/12/31/star-wars-the-force-awakens-released-script-and-novelization-offer-new-details-on-the-ending-and-more?utm

Thats the official script, says pretty much everythign everyone who actualy payed atention to the movie and saw Adams Driver expressions and body language already knew, he was conflicted after killing his father and therefore was weakened and he was afraid on his duel x Rey.

Well that makes sense.  That's why Vader got beat down by Leia after he cut off Luke's hand...  Also, he was all messed up and weak after he killed his mentor, Obi-Wan.  He couldn't fly a Tie Fighter or anything.  Good to see how things are staying true to the Star Wars universe.