By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Was Splatoon and it's sales the biggest story of 2015?

Nope. But it's def up there. Too 5-10 ish.

I'd say the Kojima/konami thing was huge.

And ff7 remake. Battlefront no story mode. shenmue 3. Basically Sony's e3.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Around the Network
OneKartVita said:
I'd say it was rocket league. It's sold a lot more. Both were great successes though.

Hmmm it was on pc too... You know, the platform with the 1.7b installbase, so probably most of its sales come from it! I'm not pointing out that  detail to downplay  its sales but just to show that the comparison is misguided and unfair!

Good question... But only because it'll strike up good conversation. But the answer to the question is absolutely, unequivocally NO!!! Splatoon really isn't so great. It's just sold to a market that's starved for something fun to play.

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

On the Nintendo side of things, most definitely. In all of gaming? Konami.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

nah, splatoon came out 1-2 years too late. as great as the game is, it didn't really inspire hw sales as it released when the console's reputation was already tanked. For such a successful new ip and type of game for Ninty, it should have sold more consoles, but again no one wants to touch wi u when they see its bleak future.

Around the Network
fireburn95 said:
Nintendo developed and published games with good marketing sell good. Also gotta consider many wii u gamers were starved for games and splatoon came out as a well-reviewed game. I reckon if wii u actually had a few third parties developing then something like splatoon would've got buried (1 mill or so) by nintendos standards, but 2.75 mill isn't too crazy

Even on consoles that did get solid 3rd party support, Nintendo developed/published games always stole the show so I highly doubt the presence of 3rd parties on Wii U would somehow negatively affect Splatoon sales.

The gamers were starved argument doesnt hold much weight either since games like Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad, Rainbow Curse all sold much lower. The only games that have sold better on Wii U are 2 Mario platformers, Mario Kart, Smash Bros and the heavily bundled Nintendo Land.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

fireburn95 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

You bring up an interesting point. Do you think the lack of games on the system has helped Splatoon become as popular as it is now, or it would have been this successful anyway? If the NX has decent support, will Splatoon keep growing?

Well splatoons done relatively well now so if its brought to nx then yeah, will do well. But absolutely, firstly its a multiplayer game so wii u owners could play with others, something wii-u only owners may not have a lot of 'experience' with. It's a fun charming game which is pretty much ninteno's core style, and there was absolutely nothing to play. I have my brothers wii u any time I wanna play, but mario games bore me nowadays, so I was never going to buy a wii u for the two standout mario titles prior. Anyone in the same boat as me would've loved the idea of a new nintendo multiplayer fun game and bought the game /console for the game. 

About a year ago, there was only one multiplat third party coming to wii u. (Project cars) and now that even didn't make it. I don't even think there is any multiplat outside of indies coming anymore. SO yeah, any exclusive will be gobbled up, probably even the shit devils third

Mario Tennis and Amiibo Festival aren't doing too hot though!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Paatar said:
On the Nintendo side of things, most definitely. In all of gaming? Konami.

Not even close.

The biggest Nintendo stories of 2015 would be the death of Satoru Iwata, the partnership with DeNA to launch mobile games and the reveal that they were working on NX.

But I'd say that Splatoon would be one of the surprise games of 2015, along with Rocket League and a few others.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

You have to wonder how history will look upon this year. Everybody is saying Konami is the big story but if Kojima comes out and hits a home run in two years or so there's a chance many forget about all this by the end of the decade. Whereas Splatoon could be the gen's highest selling console game in Japan, the game best out CoD and Halo in multiplayer awards, and very well could have changed the landscape for the genre. We simply don't know yet. If Splat2n flops, yeah sure it's probably Konami but in six years we could easily see Sony owning the MG franchise and suddenly this split means nothing, like when Interplay went down and PC fans thought Fallout was dead. Ring a bell?

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

tak13 said:
OneKartVita said:
I'd say it was rocket league. It's sold a lot more. Both were great successes though.

Hmmm it was on pc too... You know, the platform with the 1.7b installbase, so probably most of its sales come from it! I'm not pointing out that  detail to downplay  its sales but just to show that the comparison is misguided and unfair!

If you want to make it fair create a thread called "biggest wii u sales success of the year". 

Rocket league sold a lot more and it went viral thanks to a genius move by Sony.  Putting it on ps plus.  Most of the sales came on ps4 and many of them since the first month.  The ratings have more than double on the store since then.