By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Was Splatoon and it's sales the biggest story of 2015?

Nah...while it was very surprising and positive I don't think it was the biggest story of 2015.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Around the Network

The biggest story of this year is the whole Konami debacle. But if we talk about new franchises, we'll remember this lauch as the first game on one of Nintendo's biggest IPs. This game will be the size of Smash and Mario Kart in time.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Spurge, cmon babydoll. You know it's not.

The biggest, juiciest news of all of 2015 was the kojima-konami split. There was really nothing bigger than that. It was so dramatic and hush hush and bureaucratic, with lots of hints and teasers, and crazy shit like shutting down all kojipro email and internet.
And kojima putting himself in a cinematic saying "what took you so long (to save me)"

ALl the rumor and speculation, and the shock of konami "going pachinko", and the cancellation of Silent Hills etc etc.

Dude, that whole thing was like a full length conspiracy movie.

Nintendo developed and published games with good marketing sell good. Also gotta consider many wii u gamers were starved for games and splatoon came out as a well-reviewed game. I reckon if wii u actually had a few third parties developing then something like splatoon would've got buried (1 mill or so) by nintendos standards, but 2.75 mill isn't too crazy

fireburn95 said:
Nintendo developed and published games with good marketing sell good. Also gotta consider many wii u gamers were starved for games and splatoon came out as a well-reviewed game. I reckon if wii u actually had a few third parties developing then something like splatoon would've got buried (1 mill or so) by nintendos standards, but 2.75 mill isn't too crazy

You bring up an interesting point. Do you think the lack of games on the system has helped Splatoon become as popular as it is now, or it would have been this successful anyway? If the NX has decent support, will Splatoon keep growing?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

Its not the biggest story in gaming (2015), but i put it #1 in terms of sales expectations, especially in japan. Nothing comes close

Nah, I have to give the "biggest gaming story" title to the Koji-nami one, it just got worse and worse for almost half of the year...
Splatoon is #2 tho and is for shure #1 for surprise hit

I'd say it was rocket league. It's sold a lot more. Both were great successes though.

No......... Not even close.

The biggest story of 2015 was Microsoft staking claim that the XB1 had the GREATEST GAMES lineup of all time and then went on to get crushed by Sony and the Playstation 4 in the November NPD's.

Greatness Awaits.

Darwinianevolution said:
fireburn95 said:

You bring up an interesting point. Do you think the lack of games on the system has helped Splatoon become as popular as it is now, or it would have been this successful anyway? If the NX has decent support, will Splatoon keep growing?

Well splatoons done relatively well now so if its brought to nx then yeah, will do well. But absolutely, firstly its a multiplayer game so wii u owners could play with others, something wii-u only owners may not have a lot of 'experience' with. It's a fun charming game which is pretty much ninteno's core style, and there was absolutely nothing to play. I have my brothers wii u any time I wanna play, but mario games bore me nowadays, so I was never going to buy a wii u for the two standout mario titles prior. Anyone in the same boat as me would've loved the idea of a new nintendo multiplayer fun game and bought the game /console for the game. 

About a year ago, there was only one multiplat third party coming to wii u. (Project cars) and now that even didn't make it. I don't even think there is any multiplat outside of indies coming anymore. SO yeah, any exclusive will be gobbled up, probably even the shit devils third