By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Was Splatoon and it's sales the biggest story of 2015?

OneKartVita said:
Nogamez said:

Rocket league 2as free for a whole month on psn though?

Nothing stopping Nintendo doing that.  Psyonix should be commended for that genius move because it made it viral and now it'll blast past the 10m mark. 

Yes, well nothing stops Sony for giving Bloodborne for free for a whole month lol, but the big 3 dont work for free ya know, the question behind Rocket Leage was to increase the population and the exposure of the game to make PC owners buy it too and XBO owners soon, if the game was only released on Ps4, then it wouldnt have been free for a whole month, not even an indie studio can work for free.

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
OneKartVita said:

Nothing stopping Nintendo doing that.  Psyonix should be commended for that genius move because it made it viral and now it'll blast past the 10m mark. 

Yes, well nothing stops Sony for giving Bloodborne for free for a whole month lol, but the big 3 dont work for free ya know, the question behind Rocket Leage was to increase the population and the exposure of the game to make PC owners buy it too and XBO owners soon, if the game was only released on Ps4, then it wouldnt have been free for a whole month, not even an indie studio can work for free.

That logic has been proven wrong.  They weren't the only game launched on ps plus for free.  There's also nothing stopping Nintendo putting splatoon on pc either.  The fact is rocket league is bigger, hence it's my sales success of the year.  It launched with waaaay less hype than Splatoon aswell. 

OneKartVita said:
Goodnightmoon said:

That logic has been proven wrong.  They weren't the only game launched on ps plus for free.  There's also nothing stopping Nintendo putting splatoon on pc either.  The fact is rocket league is bigger, hence it's my sales success of the year.  It launched with waaaay less hype than Splatoon aswell. 

That game was a success on PC, where there are hundreds of milions of users and the game was 15 or 20$ and free for a whole month in PS4.

Splatoon released on a single console with 10 milions of users at 40 - 60$. No free version. It has already olutsold Bloodborne. Best selling shooter of the history of Japan and still selling like a beast. Do the maths, the achievement of Splatoon is way higher and the potential of the IP too.

Goodnightmoon said:
OneKartVita said:

That game was a success on PC, where there are hundreds of milions of users and the game was 15 or 20$ and free for a whole month in PS4.

Splatoon released on a single console with 10 milions of users at 40 - 60$. No free version. It has already olutsold Bloodborne. Best selling shooter of the history of Japan and still selling like a beast. Do the maths, the achievement of Splatoon is way higher and the potential of the IP too.

Again it's not the fault of Psyonix that they released it on much more appealing platforms. Splatoon may be a popular shooter but rocket league created a new genre.  Soccer with cars.  That's a much bigger achievement than making a shooter.  

OneKartVita said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Again it's not the fault of Psyonix that they released it on much more appealing platforms. Splatoon may be a popular shooter but rocket league created a new genre.  Soccer with cars.  That's a much bigger achievement than making a shooter.  

Splatoon reinvented the most popular genre of videogames after a decade of no innovations on it. Is way more than just another shooter.

I'm not sure if I would call to mix 2 concepts widely used on videgames a new genre, maybe a subgenre, and while it is true that RL is overall a very original game... it didnt really created anything since RL is the sequel of a 2008 game with identic concept.

But the thing is, would Rocket League have sold more than Splatoon being a 40 - 60$ game on a console with 10 milions of users?

Of course not. And with this I'm not downplaying the success of Rocket League, is huge and mostly deserved, I just think the IP potential of Splatoon is way higher.

Around the Network

No. I really don't think it's close. I mean, the day of the Kojima Productions announcement saw a huge explosion of stories and coverage. 7 of the top ten articles on N4G were covering it. That alone was/is a bigger story. Everything surrounding Kojima was bigger. The turmoil at Konami, the launch and reception of MGS V.....The same thing with Halo 5. Much bigger story, much more coverage. Good on Splatoon for it's success, it really does look like a good game too, but I wouldn't even put it top 15, or even 20 for it's impact on gaming news sites and forums.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

All it takes is a good "idea" executed well, and things go on from there.

Pains me to admit it but I didnt believe in splatoons in the start.
Before its launch I would not have expected it to go so well.

Dr.Vita said:
No. The biggest story of 2015 was Kojima leaving Konami.

E3 ?

Last guardians, FF7R, Shenmus 3.

Named "dreams come true" E3.

Amoung all the other 2016 releases they showed at it.

I mean it was the strongest E3 Ive ever seen. I think it deserves a mention.

JRPGfan said:
Dr.Vita said:
No. The biggest story of 2015 was Kojima leaving Konami.

E3 ?

Last guardians, FF7R, Shenmus 3.

Named "dreams come true" E3.

Amoung all the other 2016 releases they showed at it.

I mean it was the strongest E3 Ive ever seen. I think it deserves a mention.

Kojima leaving Konami was still a bigger news imo.
Kojima worked almost 3 decades for Konami and hearing that he will leave them was just a WTF moment.

Goodnightmoon said:
OneKartVita said:

Splatoon reinvented the most popular genre of videogames after a decade of no innovations on it. Is way more than just another shooter.

I'm not sure if I would call to mix 2 concepts widely used on videgames a new genre, maybe a subgenre, and while it is true that RL is overall a very original game... it didnt really created anything since RL is the sequel of a 2008 game with identic concept.

But the thing is, would Rocket League have sold more than Splatoon being a 40 - 60$ game on a console with 10 milions of users?

Of course not. And with this I'm not downplaying the success of Rocket League, is huge and mostly deserved, I just think the IP potential of Splatoon is way higher.

Unless Nintendo launch splatoon 2 on other platforms I disagree it has higher potential.  

The 2008 game they originally made bombed so hard.  That makes rocket league an even bigger success.  

If the thread was about the biggest relative success when all the handicaps are added into the equation I'd agree splatoon is the #1 this year. 

But in terms of the actual sales success as in what game sold the best I'd go with rocket league all day long.