By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Was Splatoon and it's sales the biggest story of 2015?

OneKartVita said:
tak13 said:

Hmmm it was on pc too... You know, the platform with the 1.7b installbase, so probably most of its sales come from it! I'm not pointing out that  detail to downplay  its sales but just to show that the comparison is misguided and unfair!

If you want to make it fair create a thread called "biggest wii u sales success of the year". 

Rocket league sold a lot more and it went viral thanks to a genius move by Sony.  Putting it on ps plus.  Most of the sales came on ps4 and many of them since the first month.  The ratings have more than double on the store since then.  

So it 'sold' a lot more because it was given away for free (at launch) for almost all of PS4 owners?

Around the Network
SonicAway said:
OneKartVita said:
tak13 said:

Hmmm it was on pc too... You know, the platform with the 1.7b installbase, so probably most of its sales come from it! I'm not pointing out that  detail to downplay  its sales but just to show that the comparison is misguided and unfair!

If you want to make it fair create a thread called "biggest wii u sales success of the year". 

Rocket league sold a lot more and it went viral thanks to a genius move by Sony.  Putting it on ps plus.  Most of the sales came on ps4 and many of them since the first month.  The ratings have more than double on the store since then.  

So it 'sold' a lot more because it was given away for free (at launch) for almost all of PS4 owners?

You know it has like 3 times more ratings now than it did after that first month?  So many people ended up buying it after it was free.  That merely made it viral.  It was a genius move and they should be praised. They went from nothing to sales success of the year.  

8 million sales!! 

Darwinianevolution said:
fireburn95 said:
Nintendo developed and published games with good marketing sell good. Also gotta consider many wii u gamers were starved for games and splatoon came out as a well-reviewed game. I reckon if wii u actually had a few third parties developing then something like splatoon would've got buried (1 mill or so) by nintendos standards, but 2.75 mill isn't too crazy

You bring up an interesting point. Do you think the lack of games on the system has helped Splatoon become as popular as it is now, or it would have been this successful anyway? If the NX has decent support, will Splatoon keep growing?

I think if Splatton was released on the PS4 and marketed as big as COD/Battlefront it would have hugely affected the sales of traditional shooters 

Biggest story? No.
1) Kojima's situation
2) Witcher 3's success
3) Rocketleague
4) Splatoon

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo

Bigger news was Japanese Game Industry internal conflict (So called Kojima-Konami situation) and Iwata's death.

Usually, people news tends to take over the game news...

Around the Network
OneKartVita said:
I'd say it was rocket league. It's sold a lot more. Both were great successes though.

It was free, and a lot cheaper.

jason1637 said:
OneKartVita said:
I'd say it was rocket league. It's sold a lot more. Both were great successes though.

It still came from nothing like splatoon but sold like 4 times more.  The thread says sales not relative sales including handicaps.  

jason1637 said:
OneKartVita said:

A lot of people got Splatoon free as well.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I think Splatoon is one of the most notable releases of 2015 and many would say the best Wii U game of 2015.

But the biggest story of 2015? No. Its fun, but it ain't that good.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

OneKartVita said:
jason1637 said:

It still came from nothing like splatoon but sold like 4 times more.  The thread says sales not relative sales including handicaps.  

Still its like comparing a handheld game like Pokemon x which sells near to $40 to a FTP phone game like angry birds that has 200m downloads. and rocket league was on pc.