By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Opinion: Was the Gamecube better than the Wii

Duh. The Wii is better than the GC only when it comes to Mario, Kirby and DK games. WW is better than TP and SS, MP1 is better than MP3 and Other M, Paper Mario TTYD is better than Super Paper Mario, F-Zero GX is better than no F-Zero game, Double Dash is better than MKWii, Melee is better than Brawl, Pikmin 1 and 2 are better than no Pikmin game, etc..

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

Gamecube was better than the Wii imo.

AZWification said:

Duh. The Wii is better than the GC only when it comes to Mario, Kirby and DK games. WW is better than TP and SS, MP1 is better than MP3 and Other M, Paper Mario TTYD is better than Super Paper Mario, F-Zero GX is better than no F-Zero game, Double Dash is better than MKWii, Melee is better than Brawl, Pikmin 1 and 2 are better than no Pikmin game, etc..

Wii got Metroid Prime Trilogy - including the definitive versions of both Prime games due to superior controls. It also has the definitive versions of Pikmin 1 and 2 due to superior controls. I have a massive issue with the idea that Double Dash is better than MKWii, and personally think that Brawl is significantly superior to Melee (in a non-competitive setting) too. Mario Strikers Charged and WarioWare: Smooth Moves are other great games that are far superior to their GC equivalents. Then there's the other stuff, like Xenoblade Chronicles, Little King's Story, the Wii Sports and Wii Fit games which are actually quite good and so on. And when you say that Wii is "better" when it comes to Mario (their biggest series), I don't think that conveys the scale of superiority. It's Sunshine, which I'm sorry, is the worst 3D Mario game to date, vs the two best ones plus a decent 2D title too.

On top of that there's the Virtual Console, giving Wii owners access to a huge library of many of the best games of all time. There are some nice WiiWare gems such as Lostwinds, World of Goo, Megaman 9 and 10 too. The final nail in the coffin is the obvious point that Wii is backwards compatibility with all the GC games you love anyway. Perhaps that's an unfair point to make, but I don't think it's unfair to note that the Wii has access to much of the libraries of every Nintendo home console ever (and a couple of Sega ones to boot) where Gamecube has no backwards compatibility to speak of.

To me, it's obvious. It also seems obvious that those that try to deny the Wii's superiority either a) are blinded by nostalgia or b) have a reflex irrational hatred of Wii, probably due to the unorthodox controller.

I'm going to say no on the grounds that not only did the Wii have it's own unique games but it also had superior ports of a lot of GameCube games.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Cream147 said:
AZWification said:

Wii got Metroid Prime Trilogy - including the definitive versions of both Prime games due to superior controls. It also has the definitive versions of Pikmin 1 and 2 due to superior controls. I have a massive issue with the idea that Double Dash is better than MKWii, and personally think that Brawl is significantly superior to Melee (in a non-competitive setting) too. Mario Strikers Charged and WarioWare: Smooth Moves are other great games that are far superior to their GC equivalents. Then there's the other stuff, like Xenoblade Chronicles, Little King's Story, the Wii Sports and Wii Fit games which are actually quite good and so on. And when you say that Wii is "better" when it comes to Mario (their biggest series), I don't think that conveys the scale of superiority. It's Sunshine, which I'm sorry, is the worst 3D Mario game to date, vs the two best ones plus a decent 2D title too.

On top of that there's the Virtual Console, giving Wii owners access to a huge library of many of the best games of all time. There are some nice WiiWare gems such as Lostwinds, World of Goo, Megaman 9 and 10 too. The final nail in the coffin is the obvious point that Wii is backwards compatibility with all the GC games you love anyway. Perhaps that's an unfair point to make, but I don't think it's unfair to note that the Wii has access to much of the libraries of every Nintendo home console ever (and a couple of Sega ones to boot) where Gamecube has no backwards compatibility to speak of.

To me, it's obvious. It also seems obvious that those that try to deny the Wii's superiority either a) are blinded by nostalgia or b) have a reflex irrational hatred of Wii, probably due to the unorthodox controller.

It has nothing to do with nostalgia and I actually liked the motion controls in games like Skyward Sword. I'm so sorry that my opinion bothers you that much. I really am!

Around the Network

It had Burnout 1 and 2 with by far the nicest feeling analogue stick for controls. GameCube destroyed the Wii for me.

The Wii had a few exceptional stand outs. But the GameCube had for me a consistent flow of quality (even if the Wii's best like Super Mario Galaxy was better than the GCN offerings).

Plus Chibi Robo and some fun Japanese exclusive games I imported like Mr Driller: Drill Land.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Cream147 said:
AZWification said:

Brawl is strictly worse in the competive sense then Melee, opinions aside, it has mechanics such as tripping that are designed to introduce unavoidable randomness that is the bane of any competitive game. There is a reason Melee is still played competiively and Brawl has all but completely been replaced by Smash 4.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

AZWification said:

Sin & Punishment is better than no Sin & Punishment

Excite Truck/Bots is better than no Excite game

Punch-Out is better than no Punch-Out

Xenoblade is better than no Xenoblade

2D Mario is better than no 2D Mario

Rhythm Heaven is better than no Rhythm Heaven

Endless Ocean is better than no Endless Ocean

Wii Series is better than no Wii Series (don't lie, u had fun playing Wii Sports)

Wii had plenty of Nintendo IP that GameCube didn't just like GameCube had a bunch that Wii didnt.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
AZWification said:

Sin & Punishment is better than no Sin & Punishment

Excite Truck/Bots is better than no Excite game

Punch-Out is better than no Punch-Out

Xenoblade is better than no Xenoblade

2D Mario is better than no 2D Mario

Rhythm Heaven is better than no Rhythm Heaven

Endless Ocean is better than no Endless Ocean

Wii Series is better than no Wii Series (don't lie, u had fun playing Wii Sports)

Wii had plenty of Nintendo IP that GameCube didn't just like GameCube had a bunch that Wii didnt.

I don't really care about the bolded. Besides, the GameCube also had Eternal Darkness, Geist and Battalion Wars.

johnsobas said:
rolltide101x said:

GC was MUCH better. imo

Nintendo totally abandoned all but casual gamers with the Wii. They are doing much better with the Wii U imo

that's not even remotely true.  I know that was the popular narrative amongst some gamers but it shows how little you know about the wii.

LOL please do not go there. I have been playing on Nintendo's since the NES.

Yes, Wii Sports is so hardcore man. Let us not forget forced motion controls in Zelda.... that was absolutely for the "core" gamer that EVERY Nintendo console before the Wii catered too.