By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Opinion: Was the Gamecube better than the Wii

No it was not. It had a terrible controller (d-pad too small, c-stick imprecise, very bad responsiveness of Z button), and no memorable games. A bad Mariokart, the worst F-Zero made by Sega, a bad Mario lacking variety and a cartoony Zelda made for small children. There were no real Rare games.

Wii had Mario Galaxy, Skyward Sword and Xenoblade. And even the N64 had a much better library.

Around the Network

Nah. Gamecube got worked by the PS2 in terms of everything except raw power, and the Wii had the best 7th gen game, Xenoblade Chronicles vanilla.

Currently Playing: N/A

Anime and Studying is life RN

The Wii had a much more diverse and better library. The Wii was a unique experience and had unique games. The GameCube was behind the PS2 and XBOX in games and features without differentiating itself enough. Wii for me.

GameCube is the best thing ever. 

rolltide101x said:

GC was MUCH better. imo

Nintendo totally abandoned all but casual gamers with the Wii. They are doing much better with the Wii U imo

that's not even remotely true.  I know that was the popular narrative amongst some gamers but it shows how little you know about the wii.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

Gamecube had FZERO GX, Eternal Darkness, RE:make & 0 & 4,

/endthread

The Wii can play all the GC games, therefore the Wii is the winner ; )

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

It's all subjective opinion. But asking my subjective opinion, the answer is: no, it wasn't.

You can certainly argue the the GC controller was better than the Wiimote/Nunchuck setup. However, with the Wii, you had the option for a GC/Wavebird, a Classic Controller (or later pro version), Wiimote/Nunchuck, AND arguably the best, Wiimote NES style. You had plenty of controller options, and that was nice.

Gamecube had some great games, like Smash Bros. Melee, Metroid Prime, Pikmin, Chibi Robo, and Twilight Princess. But to ME at least, it also had many games that were serious missteps for their franchises, and simply not at all what I wanted or expected from them, such as: Super Mario Sunshine, Zelda: Wind Waker, Mario Kart Double Dash, and easily the worst offender, THE single biggest gaming disappointment in my life, something I initially got hyped for until I played it and realized it was a steaming pile of aborted fetuses, Star Fox: Assault.

By comparison, for all of the rampant talk (then AND now) about how Wii was just a "casual" console, and Nintendo was "abandoning the core gamer", the fact is that was never at any point actually true. In reality, the Wii got me personally, back into gaming more, after fading out on it a tad in the GC/PS2 generation. By comparison, the Wii actually had a TON of great games available, both on retail disc, as well as digitally through the VC and WiiWare services.

By comparison, and don't think there even IS much of a comparison to be made. Gamecube had several great games for it. But Wii had, I think it's pretty easy to say, far more. These included but were not limited to:

Wii Sports, Excite Truck, Super Paper Mario, Metroid Prime 3/Trilogy, Fire Emblem, Battalion Wars II, Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii, Smash Bros. Brawl, Geometry Wars: Galaxies, No More Heroes 1 & 2, Zak & Wiki, Trauma Team, de Blob, Wario Land: Shake It, Mushroom Men, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, the RE Chronicles games, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, the Okami port, the superior RE4 port, Boom Blox, Fragile Dreams, Ruin Factory Frontier, Kirby's Epic Yarn, MadWorld, Endless Ocean 1 & 2, Sin & Punishment 2 (and finally getting S&P1 on VC), Punch Out, Kirby Return to Dreamland, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Red Steel 2, The Munchables, The Conduit (first one was decent), DKCR, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Cursed Mountain, the Klonoa remake, Mario Strikers Charged, Monster Hunter Tri, Cave Story, Final Fantasy IV: The After Years, Lost Winds 1 & 2, Blaster Master Overdrive, La-Mulana, the Konami Rebirth games, the A Boy and His Blob remake, Mario Party 9 (the best one since N64), Little King's Story, Fluidity, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Tetris Party, Dr. Mario RX, the Bit.Trip series, Rhythm Heaven Fever, the Art Style games, Xenoblade Chronicles, Zelda: Skyward Sword, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, etc.

And there were also the other Japanese VC games we finally got, like SMB2 (Famicom version), Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, Monster World VI for Genesis/Megadrive, and the aforementioned Sin & Punishment.

Like I said, it's all subjective opinion. People who think GC is better, or that's their favorite console, have every right to feel that way. But in spite of it's flaws, and in spite of the rep it unfairly seems to have, you can plainly see that Wii actually had a strong wealth of games for it, both first and third party. The sheer disparity of such, in fact, compared to Wii U, is astounding when you really look at it, and I didn't even list all the games I could have, as there were many more quality exclusives and ports that could be mentioned.

And as such, the tired "Nintendo abandoned the casuals with Wii" meme is obviously disproven. They alone released FAR more "core" titles than "casual" during that gen...on Wii AND DS. So that debate has always been a dead-end by dumb fanboys. Just saying.

I certainly wouldn't call Wii my fav. console of all time. Not even close (that'd be NES and SNES). But it was a good console with a lot of really good games on it.

GC was better. Put so many hours into that little lunchbox as a kid.

GameCube is my favorite Nintendo console with n64 right behind it. Wii U is good too but hoping they go for more power and a more traditional controller with the NX.