By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Buy PS4/X1 now, or wait for NX?

What to do?

Wait for NX 90 31.91%

Wait for PS5 41 14.54%

Wait for Xbox 2 8 2.84%

Wait for everything 31 10.99%

Buy this plastic box 78 27.66%

Buy that other plastic box 34 12.06%

Total:282

NX might be not as powerful as PS4/X1 and could cost the same/more. It will have less games, but if you like Nintendo games alot that should offset the lack of software.

I say wait until NX is revealed so you know what it actually is.

PS, PS2, Gameboy Advance, PS3, PSP, PS4, Xbox One

Around the Network
fleischr said:

Hi all,

I'm primarily interested in the best machine for me for multiplats releasing 2016 and later. Specifically FFXV and the FF7 remake for now. I do have a PC that's been able to limp along for some recent multiplats (though I did have to pass on a few 2015 PC releases), but I'd rather not spend the time, money, and effort to set up a new future-proof gaming rig.  Changing the video card could help, but for this laptop of mine it doesn't seem a realistic option.

The PS4 and X1 have me concerned. In terms of raw specs (CPU, memory), they're actually barely ahead of my PC. Many games on PS4/X1 are still sub 1080p, below 60fps or even fail to hit 30 fps consistently as in Just Cause 3 or Fallout 4. Not sure if publishers are thinking this acceptable practice long-term (to me, it's not) or if they'd even push Sony and Microsoft go for PS5 or X2 sooner than anyone seems to expect now and resume the historically standard 5-6 year lifecycle for consoles -- especially if they're any bit serious about competing with the NX for having a more powerful console. Kind of kills the purpose of buying PS4/X1 if they're becoming irrelevant 2-3 years from now, right? But that's still speculation of mine... My mind says PS4 has the staying power I'd desire, but more of my friends are on the X1. And my heart says, NX will be ready to go out and totally kill it and be the right option that hits all my tastes.

I really don't honestly have much interest in either Sony or Microsoft's 1st party offerings. They're not bad, they just don't appeal to me that much.

Between my PC and WiiU (plus 3DS and my 360 I guess), I do feel like I still have a lot to enjoy. PS4 and X1 look okay now, but it already just seems as if NX will have a lot more to offer once it launches. Better multiplat performance. Portability. And the Nintendo 1st party games I already know I love.

People here just love to jump the gun and parrot "PS4" without reading the OP, don't they?

So, is it for FFXV and FFVII or you like the genre? Since your friends are there, if you are only on it for those two, I'd say a XONE, since we are also playing FFXV, but if you're interested on JRPGs other than those two, then I'd recommend a PS4 since it seems to be the PlayStation 4's staple...

Sixteenvolt420 said:
Buy as PS4. Over 30 Million customers, can't be wrong.

The Nazi party had 8 million followers, turns out they were wrong :/

bunchanumbers said:
I'd wait for NX. You can tell Nintendo is desperate to put it out. And I'm betting that all 3rd party devs and publishers are desperate to announce their games for it but can't because it would impact holiday sales.

That's what nintendo fans said about the Wii U...There's even that meme with Chris Tucker bro...

Intrinsic said:
Miyamotoo said:
Intrinsic said:
 If Nintendo is making a console that they sell for $300? And I'm talking about a basic traditional console. And that console is being sold for any kinda profit, then there is no kinda sorcery they can do to make it more powerful than the PS4.

PS4 was launch in 2013. with $399 price, after only few months Sony said they are selling it with profit. So I really don't see why is impossible that Nintendo 3 years after PS4 launch, launch little stronger console with $299 price point and make profit!?

A couple of reasons. 

1. You really must not know Nintendo. Nintendo has never adopted the loss leader model of console selling. So they always aim to make a profit on their hardware. 

2. In fall 2016. The PS4 could very well be selling for $250. And that's under the assumption that Sony is either breaking even or making a profit anywhere between $20-$40 per unit at that price. The important thing to note here is that hardware built to the spec of the PS4 (and assuming you even have the engineering muscle of something like Sony behind you) WILL have a BOM of around $210-$250 at the time. So of Nintendo makes something very similar to the ps4 that's what it will cost them too. If they make something more powerful then it will cost them more. And more is not good, cause remember point 1. Especially when talking about Nintendo. 

3. The NX isn't without competition. Its coming into a race at a time when the consoles already out are just hitting their mainstream stride. It will be going up against a PS4 with an install base of around 45M at the time and an XB1 at around 25M. Having just abandoned its last console in around 4yrs. It cannot afford to come in being the most expensive box on the block especially if all its doing is offering slightly better framerstes than the PS4. The PS2 was proof enough that you don't need to have the most powerful console on the market to win. If Nintendo comes in at $300, and Sony decides to take a git of $40 on every console they sell and drop the price of the PS4 to $199 (which they could) and with the kinda lineup Sony has next year and all that VR stuff.... nintendo will be DOA. 

All this aside, I personally think its just a flat out stupid idea for Nintendo to launch a console next year. But what do I know?

1. Actually I very good know Nintendo and way of their thinking (just look my image and nick :)), they had only loss with Wii U at launch, and I am pretty sure they will aim to have profit on launch with NX. But that doesnt mean they can't make little stronger console with price point $300 at end of 2016.

2. Official PS4 price is currently $350, that means that in best case at end of next year official price will be $300. Again I dont see why Nintendo cant make little stronger hardware with build cost of around $270 at end od 2016.

3. Agree, that's why NX needs strong launch with strong games (new 3D Mario and Zelda U port are almost certain for NX launch) with launch price $250-300, also integrated-unified platform will be probably way more attractive than 3DS and Wii U separate were. Also I don't think Nintendo will make stronger hardware than PS4 because there is no really no need for something like that, I think it will be somewhere between Xbox One and PS4 in power, in best case on similar level of power with PS4 (likely with stronger CPU), but my point was that they could make stronge hardware than PS4 for $299 without loss if they really want that.

Well certainly would be more stupid idea to launch console in 2017. and 2018. because if they wait so long they will have similar Wii U situation, not to mention that they would be stuck with Wii U and terrible sales another 2-3 years. Nintendo is in very tough position, but if you thinking a little, launch of new platform in 2016. is best possible decision in current situation.

Around the Network
Qwark said:
Miyamotoo said:
Aerys said:
I dont know how people can still trust Nintendo and buy NX day one after Wii U

Because Nintendo is delivering great games regardless if it's their best selling or worst selling console!?

Yes but if the Wii tought us something the amount of those games is highly depends om the succes of the console. If you compare GC or Wii library to Wii U it's downright laughable. 

Laughable!? I don't think that GC had more quality games than Wii U.

I doubt Nintendo will be faster at game development with whatever the NX is. I'd invest in a PS4/X1 and then wait until the NX has proven itself

Nothing beats playing with friends bro, you should go where your friends are.Unless you're more of a single player guy and really like JRPGs you get a PS4 then, since it's gonna get godly Japanese support.

PS4....Now!

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Wait for NX if you like Nintendo games but if you like multiplatform games and a plethora of other JRPGS and plenty other games that are normally not found in a Nintendo console, then buy a Ps4.