By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So Xenoblade X has an 84 on metacritix because there is too much to do and the world is too big?

Well, 85 now.

Around the Network

Nintendo is certainly held to different standards. A lot of it is that reviewers don't want to make games on Nintendo consoles sound great unless they absolutely have to; like with your Ocarina of Times and Mario Galaxies.
But one example is how Nintendo sequels are always expected to be vastly different from predecessors, but a Call of Duty sequel or any other yearly franchise will never be subject to that kind of scrutiny.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Faust said:
DonFerrari said:

You still haven't explained how it saved the genre... if it didn't impulsionate the genre in the platform it was released, it isn't the best seller, it didn't brought new IPs how exactly have it saved?

Because since xenoblade came out, Japanese developers are putting more effort on their works and thats the reason we are getting so maany great jrpgs lately. 

FFXV is obviosuly a XBC's rip off, MGS V open world design was inspired by XBC as well. 

Even western developers are trying to emulate what XBC did.

The team behind Titanfall (game of the generation) said in an interview that the whole idea came from a gameplay footage they saw of XBC when human characters are fightning against mechs, they said "it was pretty cool, we should make a game based on that" and so they did.

COD developers drop out the realistic aspect of their games by adding mechs because XBC is  just that good and they want to appeal to XBC audience

SO, imho saying that XBC saved the JRPG genre is falling short. This game saved the whole industry no doubt about it.

the terrifying part is that this makes more sense than what the guy was trying to defend

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Nautilus said:
ghettoglamour said:
If watched the Gamespot's review on youtube yesterday. It sounded like a 6, maybe 7 out of 10 during the review, then it still gets an 8. I was pretty surprised.

According to him many important fighting mechanics, such as healing, aren't properly explained.
The story overall is weak.
You are forced to grind to progress the story.
The side quests are pure filler.
Characters are uninteresting (and poorly modeled and voiced, at least the first woman you meet)

This doesn't sound like a great game at all.

But well, I guess the review was bad overall. He kept saying that despite it short comings, your patience will be greatly rewarded. He failed to explain how it rewards you though.

Not that gamespot didnt have some fair points, but it wasnt a good review.The side quests arent pointless.Sure, like all RPG, there are many quests that are there jiust to help you explore the world and lvl up, but many side quests have story elements on them, enhancing the lore and backstory of carachters, or exploring themes like religion and racism.I have seen alot of reviews, but the ones that complain that you need to grind are the same ones that complain that the game is too dificult to understand.In other ones, are the ones that either dont like the genre or that didnt dedicate long enough to try and understand the game(not all of them of course, just many that i saw).And again, the carachters flesh out during the afinnity missions, the side missions, and dont flesh out that much during story missions.You really need to get involved in the game to experience it full.I dont know, there seem to be many reviewers that apparently just rushed through the story to make the reviews

If you can't understand the story, level up enough through the story itself shouldn't the relevant side missions become part of the story instead of the player having to discover what is important and what is filler in the sidequests

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

And someone isn't supposed to finish the game or use 40-100h to evaluate it... if in 5 hours you can't take it any longer your opinion is obviously that you didn't like it. So what is the problem that you need to complain that someone didn't like or obligated himself to put the time on that... the only problem I see would be putting people that distaste the genre to evaluate.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
And someone isn't supposed to finish the game or use 40-100h to evaluate it... if in 5 hours you can't take it any longer your opinion is obviously that you didn't like it. So what is the problem that you need to complain that someone didn't like or obligated himself to put the time on that... the only problem I see would be putting people that distaste the genre to evaluate.

Because if you only played 5 hours of a game that lasts 40-100 hours you wont be able to see everything that the game offers, wont be able to describe accurately in your review what the game is about, giving a poor service to your readers.

If you are playing the game just for fun, thats ok.Its your game and you do what you want with it.But if you are doing reviews for living, and your job is to describe not to yourself, but to others what the game is all about, you cant play 20% of the game and call it a day."Here is my review of the game:The game sucks" That is not a review.If you dont want to do this kind of things, to force yourself a bit to play a game that you need to review(unless the game is downright unplayable), you shouldnt be a reviewer in the first place.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

DonFerrari said:
Nautilus said:

Not that gamespot didnt have some fair points, but it wasnt a good review.The side quests arent pointless.Sure, like all RPG, there are many quests that are there jiust to help you explore the world and lvl up, but many side quests have story elements on them, enhancing the lore and backstory of carachters, or exploring themes like religion and racism.I have seen alot of reviews, but the ones that complain that you need to grind are the same ones that complain that the game is too dificult to understand.In other ones, are the ones that either dont like the genre or that didnt dedicate long enough to try and understand the game(not all of them of course, just many that i saw).And again, the carachters flesh out during the afinnity missions, the side missions, and dont flesh out that much during story missions.You really need to get involved in the game to experience it full.I dont know, there seem to be many reviewers that apparently just rushed through the story to make the reviews

If you can't understand the story, level up enough through the story itself shouldn't the relevant side missions become part of the story instead of the player having to discover what is important and what is filler in the sidequests

Wait wait.The reviewers that said the story was bad didnt say it wasnt understandable, they just thought it was simple.And it dosnt work that way.A game is not only made of the "obligatory" missions.If the side missions dont have content it wont make sense for having them in the first place.And if you could just rush through the story without doing anything extra or exploring the world, the game would just be easy, and then reviewers would complain about it.If you play The Witcher 3 in the normal difficulty most likely you wont be able to just rush the story, you would need to "grind" a bit, doing side quests, yet noone complained about it.The problem is if this "grinding" is boring or not.Thats the issue that reviewers had with the game.I still need to play the game to judge for myself, but i hardly see myself getting bored with the multitude of content that there is in the game.But thats my opinion

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

FFXIII got an 83 on the PS3, biased reviewers are the worst.

Jumpin said:
Nintendo is certainly held to different standards. A lot of it is that reviewers don't want to make games on Nintendo consoles sound great unless they absolutely have to; like with your Ocarina of Times and Mario Galaxies.
But one example is how Nintendo sequels are always expected to be vastly different from predecessors, but a Call of Duty sequel or any other yearly franchise will never be subject to that kind of scrutiny.

Yes, New Super Mario Bros. has gotten it's good scores because of how vastly different each entry is from the one prior to it.

New Super Mario Bros. - 89

New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 87

New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 78

New Super Mario Bros. U - 84

Mummelmann said:
FFXIII got an 83 on the PS3, biased reviewers are the worst.

Yeah that games should have gotten 60 at most.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints