By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter is a Hater

Cream147 said:
GProgrammer said:

Yes he's a hater, look at these predictions before this gen started. I much prefered the predictions from people on this forum where the Wii U was easily going to win this generation

july 2012

Michael Pachter Predicts Wii U Failure

october 2012

Nintendo forecasts huge Wii U sales, Pachter thinks they’re nuts

The failure of the Wii U was blindingly obvious to anyone who looked at it from a remotely objective perspective. There was no hype around it, and very few games announced. Comparing analysts to random Nintendo fanboys on the internet is a little bit silly really.

Nobody thought the Wii U would sell well but I don't think anyone expected it to bomb as hard as it did.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
Zkuq said:

I didn't ask for the things he got wrong, I asked for the statistics. If he makes a thousand predictions and a hundred are wrong, that's a hundred incorrect predictions. But his success rate is still 90 %. So if he makes a lot of predictions, he's bound to get more wrong as well, and you might be seeing that effect. Not only that, but other analysts seem to get less publicity, which means their mistakes don't go public as easily so even if they're wrong more often, you don't see it.

Now bring the statistics and stop fooling around with 'it feels like' kind of stuff.

If his wrong rate were just 10%, he'd be celebrated rather than hated but you have the figures backwards.  He is right only 10% of the time and most of that 10% of frikkin obvious.

That was an example, I thought it was obvious... Apparently not. Shall I explain the example in even simpler terms? Also, you seems to have statistics available since you're so sure he's right 10 % of the time. Would you mind sharing them?

Patcher is love patcher is life

Yeah I'm not sure what people are asking for here... I've been gaming for a long while and I generally see Pachter articles as sensational headlines meaning to draw attention to his podcast or whatever. When we say he reports "obvious things regarding Nintendo", we clearly mean that he's willing to point out stuff like the NX won't be successful unless Nintendo can gain 3rd party support (That's a pretty obvious statement right there).

Now seeing as how we know next to nothing about the NX platform, it's pretty premature to gauge anything at this point of potential successes or not. But let's not be stupid here, unless Nintendo agrees to pay 3rd parties for remotely similar game support on the NX, the chances of Nintendo getting 1:1 parity is going to be a slow long road back. Sony and Microsoft have lined these companies pockets for years to get a leg up on each other and Nintendo isn't about to start playing that game. Plus I would rather Nintendo put millions of dollars into exclusive new games for the NX rather than getting 6 months dlc or whatever.

I don't really take his predictions seriously because they are only just that... predictions

...so yes, it doesn't really matter to me for what he says about what console :p

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network

the level of bullshit in this thread is just amazing.

And the unfounded Pachter hate just continues. This is just pathetic, you should buy yourself an opinion instead of going with the mob.
Go watch some of his show on youtube, you'll see for yourself.

Who is this Pachter that everyone is talking about? Why would his opinions matter to any of us?

Seriously, everytime this guy opens is mouth or scratches his ass it's all over the news. It seems like he is the Kim Kardashian of the video game industy.

tak13 said:
Mummelmann said:

Shit just got real. It could also be Patch ER, as in the perpetual poor health of PC games that need patches and bug fixes. Mindblowing!

OP: Everyone who is critical of Nintendo is a hater, you should have learned that a long time ago. There are fans and haters, no critics.

That sounds like... Oh you nintendo fans stop victimizing Nintendo and calling anyone who is critical towards it, a hater!  You should have written it like this: Everyone who is critical of a company is a hater e.t.c. Since hypersensitive fans of all companies (not just the nintendo ones) can label a person who is critical  against their favorite company, as a hater!  I don't think that  at least here the writer does that...

When someone hardly ever says/recognizes a positive thing about something or constantly spins something positive into a negative thing or even fabricating a negative thing  or in an irrelavant topic says something negative about it... Can he be considered a critic?

Critical and hater keep up in some cases... Wherefore, how someone expressing its hatred? By being critical of course! How else? However, the criticism  by a hater is spiteful, subjective, unjust, misguided, obsessive, repeatitive, ignorant, virulent and biased in contrast with the pure/unfeigned criticism...

Here's the thing though; the fanbase belonging to the console that is doing the worst are usually more defensive, as with fans of football teams who aren't doing great, fans of actors who keep flopping or getting poor roles, fans of artists who sell less music than they think they desverve etc. It's a natural part of fandom, so in this particular case; we are not all equally dosing out the labels and calling people haters.

I myself am a perfect example; in the UNITY thread I wrote long posts that were critical of Nintendo, the vast majority of users never answered the arguments but simply called me a hater. I explained my viewpoints several times but the label persisted, despite the fact that I made some really good and also obvious points. When faced with true statements that are hard to bear or do not fit with the image you have of someone or something, it's the cheapest and easiest way to try to invalidate these statements by trying to invalidate the person(s) who make them and I think that's exactly what's happening with the OP.

I see the same thing in politics here in Sweden, which has a horribly polarized debate climate. Person A makes claim which is rooted in values that person B does not approve of but makes a fair and perhaps even important point; person B states that person A's views and values are atrocious and should not be listened to. Right there is where the debate turns into debaccle; instead of countering arguments with arguments, some choose to simply label the opposition as untrustworthy, harboring some agenda or quite simply as hateful and ignorant.
A couple of months back here, if you said that we should have border controls, you would be labelled a racist and a hater; now that the social democratic government have changed their minds on this subject due to an insane number or immigrants and refugees and asylum seekers, the label disappears because the right (or rather; left) people have decided that it's necessary.
So, the point was clearly valid the whole time, but was not deemed acceptable until the opposition agreed, so the hater (or racist) label was still applied in the beginning, they simply move this label around and adjust the parameters for hate (or racism) and carry on.

It's much the same with Nintendo, I was one of those who was very skeptical even before the Wii U released and I made some compelling arguments for why it would go south, I was labelled a hater and people said that I was just upset that the Wii had sold the most in the 7th generation.
I was also probably the first user to suggested that it was likely we would see a Wii U replacement as early as in 2016, and was once again labelled a mere hater, ignorant, hidden agendas etc.
What happened? Well, we all know that, people came around to the same conclusions in time.
Did that change my status as a "hater" though? Mostly not, now it's simply; "even a broken clock is right two times a day").

Calling people haters is counterproductive is the vast majority of cases because it stiffles discussion and leads to less nuanced debate, regardless of whether or not someone is actually "hating". Answer arguments with arguments and see the community flourish for it; the OP has so far only implied that Pachter is a hater because he's been negative about Nintendo, which is rather ridiculous seeing as how almost everything they've done this generation has had negative impact on them and their economical state and their fans and Pachter is an adviser and consult to investors who regard these things as very important, as they should.

The "hater" label is worthless and a most basic technique to apply when you have no proper arguments.

maxleresistant said:
the level of bullshit in this thread is just amazing.

And the unfounded Pachter hate just continues. This is just pathetic, you should buy yourself an opinion instead of going with the mob.
Go watch some of his show on youtube, you'll see for yourself.

You say it's Bullshit because people feel a certain way about a personality who generally gets things wrong and is often quoted in the gaming industry. Where do you think the whole notion comes from that if Pachter says one thing, the opposite will happen? That's not just a Nintendo thing, most gamers feel that way about his views on analyzing the industry. Once again, if you throw enough shit at a wall something will eventually stick. That's Pachter's method of giving his opinion on things and not to say he's a bad guy because I've seen a lot of his Pach-attack shows and he's very intelligent.

But what most people are pointing to is that he usually misses the boat when it comes to Nintendo as a whole company. He predicted that Nintendo directs were the worst thing that Nintendo could possibly do and it's turn out to be quite the opposite actually. There's way to many things to list in order for someone to prove to you about his history of being wrong. Just thinking back on how many episodes of the Bonus Round that he's been on, where he just inserts his foot into his mouth regarding something. The WiiU definitely was a very flawed product in every sense of the word, but to have some of the views against an entire company that he's shared almost comes across like he's trolling Nintendo.

He is a joke. Regardless of what he thinks of Nintendo.