By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Why not track Digital Sales when the Companys do give out that data? Star Craft 2:LOTV has sold over 1 million.

Because it wouldn't be consistent, cause we only get digital numbers for a few games. Anyways, for all Steam games (and yes, I know Starcraft isn't a steam game) we have Steamspy.

Around the Network

Yeah, it's a neat idea but it would be way too inconsistent since not every publisher give numbers. Best thing would it the industry was obligated to give those numbers to NPD and such.

like tequooz said, these digital numbers can only be given by the server based networks owned by the same platforms, Retailers are obviously open minded and more open for polling of other statistics agencies. We get consistant numbers from the free market

Well for once "over 1 million" is not really accurate and the other reason would be that games wouldn't be comparable anymore, since only very few companies disclose digital sales.

Well im not sure how much work it takes to get all these sales data, and how much money VGChartz is actually getting from it.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

Would be nice if they did but I can't see it ever happening unless it's going to be used in a way to debase the platform.

Also Steam spy isn't consistent nor concrete accurate either.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Teeqoz said:
Because it wouldn't be consistent, cause we only get digital numbers for a few games. Anyways, for all Steam games (and yes, I know Starcraft isn't a steam game) we have Steamspy.

You can't use Steam Spy for sales tracking. It counts everyone that has the game in their library. Add the fact that Steam has free weekends and accounts don't necessarily get updated immediately, and you have a problem with the accurary. There's a good chance even family sharing games are counted for several people. It's just not reliable for sales tracking. At best, it can give a good indication about how well a game has sold but it doesn't give reliable numbers for sales.

Chazore said:
Would be nice if they did but I can't see it ever happening unless it's going to be used in a way to debase the platform.

Also Steam spy isn't consistent nor concrete accurate either.

Neither is VGChartz, but as least it's better than nothing.

Trunkin said:

It would be if it wasn't used time and time again for those that seek to use it for "X series sold worse on PC", I find more folk using it as a tool to throw down against the platform rather than looking at sketchy data, nodding their head and moving on. I'd much rather others act like Blizz and give out their own sales data than trying to rely on physical retailers which are no longer popular with PC gaming nor are they the go to place, those go to places currently are places owned by some publishers themselves.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
Trunkin said:

It would be if it wasn't used time and time again for those that seek to use it for "X series sold worse on PC", I find more folk using it as a tool to throw down against the platform rather than looking at sketchy data, nodding their head and moving on. I'd much rather others act like Blizz and give out their own sales data than trying to rely on physical retailers which are no longer popular with PC gaming nor are they the go to place, those go to places currently are places owned by some publishers themselves.

Well, it seems to me the problem is that people put too much trust in these sites numbers in general. It would help if VGChartz was more open about their methods and limitations. It should be obvious to anyone that something is off when PC only accounts for 1% of a games sales. No one would even bother supporting the platform in that case.

But yeah, it would be nice if sites like Steam and Origin would post the sales numbers of (consenting) publishers on their platforms. I really don't see what would be the harm in doing so, and then this endless wave of speculation and shoddy numbers would finally be over.