By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Only 3 of Nintendo's Wii U games wouldn't fit on a Wii disc

Justagamer said:
It doesn't surprise me. They all look visually beautiful, and not requiring massive space. There are some games that require GB's and GB's and are ugly as hell. One thing that surprises me though, is that smash is almost 16 GB... Damn! I think nintendo has always been pretty efficient with space... just look at what they were able to do with the n64 and those tiny carts.....

As Salnax pointed out, the fact that it has like 400 musical tracks probably has something to do with it. ;)

Around the Network
bowserthedog said:
Nintendo continues to be the industry leader in high quality games which don't waste space on your hard drive needlessly.

Also the leader of making games so big that they won't fit on their own console's storage.

Double win!

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Salnax said:
I'm noticing that those three games don't come from Nintendo's core studios. XCX is from Tokyo-based Monolith Soft, DKC: Tropical Freeze is from the American Retro Studios, and SSB4, which is only about twice the size of Brawl, is probably only so big because it has over 400 musical tracks.

I guess when Nintendo developers said they didn't need to move onto HD development yet back during the Wii era, they meant it!

(And it was made by Namco.)

I've been amazed at how well Nintendo has optimized their titles this gen. They really do keep file sizes down. For whatever reason, my Wii U is also much faster at downloading than my PS4, and doesn't kill the WiFi for the rest of the household (I mean, seriously, it's like we don't have internet at all when the PS4 is downloading an update).

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Nintendo knows how to optimize. 

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Around the Network

I think Zelda U will be 18gb

jason1637 said:
I think Zelda U will be 18gb

It certainly wouldn't surprise me if Zelda U joins the "wouldn't fit on a Wii disc" club, given what we've seen so far.

Wii discs are DVD-based discs with a capacity of 4.7/8.54 GB
Wii U discs are BluRay-based discs with a capacity of 25 GB

So, most Wii U games are wasting at least 17 GB?

Nintendo is really good at compression, it's impressive. Especially after they bought that compression company some years ago (that migh explain how a beautiful game like 3D World is like 2GB only).

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Well, they'd fit... but wouldn't the performance drop drastically? I don't know anything about the topic

Edit: I have a horrible habit of verbs...

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988