By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Only 3 of Nintendo's Wii U games wouldn't fit on a Wii disc

That's a nice topic curl!
I have been wondering the same actually. I'm still impressed by 3D world being so small. The game is "very big" and yet it is less than 2gb.
I wouldn't mind though if they start doing bigger games as long as the NX has a decent hard drive.
For now, they have done it just right, but they could have done it better, having 32gb can't be enough for most of us even with those kind of games.

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
I don't understand how TF is 11GB.

Uncompressed audio maybe?

A larger quantity of unique assets versus stuff like 3D World or Mario Kart?

I'll admit, I'm kind of stumped too.

There's plenty of games on every console that don't even deserve to be on a disc so there's that.

curl-6 said:
Pavolink said:
I don't understand how TF is 11GB.

Uncompressed audio maybe?

A larger quantity of unique assets versus stuff like 3D World or Mario Kart?

I'll admit, I'm kind of stumped too.

Compressing magic is done at EAD or somewhere inside Nintendo. All big games (above 10 GB) released by Nintendo are not made internally or by EAD. Retro Studios, Monolith Soft, and Sora LTD + Namco Bandai/Bandai Namco don't have the compressing magic EAD does.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

curl-6 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

No, I read the OP. I get the point.

New gen, bigger medium being utilized. Amazing!

The point was more that despite the bigger medium being used, Nintendo's games have not increased in size correspondingly, and have in fact gotten smaller in some instances. (Mario Galaxy is bigger than 3D World, for instance)

But 3D World isn't the norm. There just happen to be games on Wii U that don't more space than a Wii disc.

Some PS3 games were also small in spite of using Bluray. Some might even fit in a PS2 DVD. :-O

I very much doubt most first party PS3 games would fit on a DVD.

Uncharted 2 and God of War III used close to 50GB 

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network
Qwark said:
curl-6 said:

I very much doubt most first party PS3 games would fit on a DVD.

Uncharted 2 and God of War III used close to 50GB 

Yeah, as far as I am aware, Sony's first party efforts generally make use of the larger space.

Sony tend to make games that are more demanding in terms of capacity, plus they don't have Nintendo's concerns about making games small enough to fit comfortably on Wii U's small hard drive.