By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Only 3 of Nintendo's Wii U games wouldn't fit on a Wii disc

Gamemaster87 said:
Miyamotoo said:
Gamemaster87 said:
Miyamotoo said:
Gamemaster87 said:
baloofarsan said:
These small file sizes will be needed for the NX. If it will be cross platform for both handheld and stationary hardware a small file size is making things a lot easier (and cheaper). But it will leave many third partiy games out.

Sorry, mate, fusion platform is not happening.

Do you realise that Nintendo basically confirmed that NX is same unified platform with two different form factors, they even mentioned platform similar to iOS or Android, where you have app or game that works on wide range of Android or iOS devices.

You just keep denain all facts and infos we have and saying that's not true without any fact.

Nope. Iwata himself said that future devices will use a similiar OS (so not the same) to make it easier porting games to fill launch gaps (not to release the same game on the other devices)

Maybe you should get your facts right....

And just think about it: Nintendo only releases games for the platform if they fit on it. Releasing them on every device although you can't play them well is not the Nintendo that I know. And Nintendo won't change that.

-> no fusion platform

Of Course it want be iOS or Android but similar to those OS-s, and not because porting but because of developing same game in same time for handheld and home console, first test project was Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS, it's basically same game for both devices.

Nintendo will make those NX devices that fit almost any console games (not mobile games).

Home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems.

Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform. To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models. The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples.

However, we are hoping to change and correct the situation in which we develop games for different platforms individually and sometimes disappoint consumers with game shortages as we attempt to move from one platform to another, and we believe that we will be able to deliver tangible results in the future.

So yes, definitely integrated platform that will be completely different from previous Nintendo generations when handheld and home console were totally separated platforms.

1. Smash is completely different. You could rather compare Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars

2. handhelds and home consoles will won't be seperated platforms any longer, as Iwata said. But they won't be a fusion platform like every game running on every device. That's what Iwata said.

Discussion closed.

1. Smash isn't completely different, 3DS and Wii U version are almost exactly same. Have on mind that 3DS and Wii U are completely different and that this was first project like that.

2. Depends what you think when you say fusion, if that means that most of same games will be played on home and handheld then yes, NX is fusion platform or two or more devaices, or integrated platform..

You already have two of thats similar projects on Wii U/3DS and Iwata specifically mentioned, iOS and Android and whole point of those OS-s isthat one app or game could be played on wide range of different devices.

This sentence make what they mean very clear: "However, we are hoping to change and correct the situation in which we develop games for different platforms individually".

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:

You missed the point of the comparison entirely.

No, I read the OP. I get the point.

New gen, bigger medium being utilized. Amazing!

The point was more that despite the bigger medium being used, Nintendo's games have not increased in size correspondingly, and have in fact gotten smaller in some instances. (Mario Galaxy is bigger than 3D World, for instance)

Rabbids Land have 14 gb or 15 gb, i owned on eshop much time ago

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
curl-6 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

The point was more that despite the bigger medium being used, Nintendo's games have not increased in size correspondingly, and have in fact gotten smaller in some instances. (Mario Galaxy is bigger than 3D World, for instance)

But 3D World isn't the norm. There just happen to be games on Wii U that don't more space than a Wii disc.

Some PS3 games were also small in spite of using Bluray. Some might even fit in a PS2 DVD. :-O

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

But 3D World isn't the norm. There just happen to be games on Wii U that don't more space than a Wii disc.

Some PS3 games were also small in spite of using Bluray. Some might even fit in a PS2 DVD. :-O

I very much doubt most first party PS3 games would fit on a DVD.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

The smaller games absolutely would. Like Journey!

Also, PS3 games were sometimes huge to reduce loading from the slow Bluray drive.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:

The smaller games absolutely would. Like Journey!

Also, PS3 games were sometimes huge to reduce loading from the slow Bluray drive.

Absolutely there would be some that would. Like Nintendo, SCE often invests in smaller titles, like, as you say, Journey.

And yes, disc seek times are a factor to consider. A lot of games also forego compression simply cos they have the space not to need it.

Hiku said:
You don't count Bayonetta 1 & 2? They take up 17GB and 14.6 GB respectively.

True, but they were developed by Bee Tribe and Platinum respectively.

I was talking about Nintendo-developed titles.

I don't understand how TF is 11GB.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Ok. i think that great games do not need much space!

Switch!!!