By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Former IGN And GameSpot Journalists Threaten Play-Asia For Supporting Dead Or Alive Xtreme 3

Play-Asia is brilliant. They made it looked like they are standing up to SJW when in fact they are using them to advertise the game. TK should be pleased with all the free publicity.

I've also been quoted for falling for this trap. So I will buy my gaming fix from Play-Asia even though I can get them cheaper locally. lol! xD

Around the Network
Mr_No said:
I said it once and I'll say it again. They had to include male characters in that game so no one would complain about it.

No-one would complain about it?

I sense you're slightly uninformed about the kind of people we're dealing with here. They will ALWAYS complain. They're parasites, it's what they do.

Here's a guy who works for Polygon complaining that characters in Fallout 4 notice the fact when your character is female. I have no idea why this is supposed to be bad. But there you are:

In case you guys don't know, someone on Tumblr did attempt to start a boycott campaign against Play-Asia. Of course, we all knew how that all turned out Streisand Effect

If you guys try to visit that page now, you'll find out that it's been changed to this.

the funniest reply as Luke from Kotaku telling Play Asia this is how they lose friends and connections and what not

ironic coming from the people that keep getting blacklisted from other sites lol

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Even though I think those who oppose the game are silly (just don't buy it if you don't like it), it's their right to boycott the developer of they choose to, and isn't that exactly how a free market should work? It's another thing if the government boycott a company.

Around the Network
Ruler said:
Apparently supporting a game that’s no longer coming to a region because the publisher wants to avoid all the political nonsense surrounding gender politics is now a bad thing. Popular import e-tailer Play-Asia came out and made a statement supporting Koei Tecmo and Team Ninja’s Dead or Alive Xtreme 3, a sexually suggestive beach volleyball game for the PS Vita and PS4. However, game journalists, former game journalists and some recognized names in the gaming industry have threatened Play-Asia with blacklists.

Anybody that invokes phrases like "political nonsense surrounding gender politics" is, without a doubt, sexist. Keep in mind it's the choice of phrase that is indicative - you could make an equivalent point, if you're not sexist, by simply saying "gender politics". The "policital nonsense surrounding" part is the key problem.

When you start to invoke phrases like "social justice warrior" as your counter to an argument that something so "sexually suggestive" in a gender-specific way (you'd never see the equivalent with male characters) is inappropriate in this day and age, you immediately lose the argument.

Basically, invoking "social justice warrior" is like invoking "hitler" - the first person to do it is immediately the loser of the argument.

It is certainly a little childish to refuse to support Play-Asia specifically because they're selling DoA X3. It's a whole lot more childish to condemn people over such a decision and to use sweeping, sexist language to justify it.

what sensitive cry babies

this makes me almost want to buy an Asian copy for the hell of it, it's just stupid. The concept of blocking video games because they may offend some is silly because so many different things could offend so many different people

what's next? no sexualizing male or females at all in video games? no bloody violence because some people don't like it?

will this stretch to film and beyond?

just absolutely stupid. people need to grow up and become less sensitive. no one is forcing a person to play this game so there should no reason to have an issue with it existing. Sex is part of life and a digitally written sexualized character is the last thing people should be getting offended over

get up and arms over something like prostitution (even though I say let people do what they want to do, it should be a free world), get upset over something that actually is happening in the real world

it made sense when people complained about that game getting released that was about being a mass murderer massacring people- but something like this? get real, talk about absurd that it hasn't been released in the West simply because the PC media has made companies so uncomfortable with releases anything whatsoever provocative 

BasilZero said:
Threatening =/= boycotting lol

I thought they were gonna sue them for whatever dumb reason.

Anyways, this gives Play Asia and Dead or Alive more attention than anything which is what Play Asia was probably going for.

Though I swear Dead or Alive XXX is cheaper on that other Asian store: AmiAmi or w/e its called.

The attention is for naught if their games aren't coming to the west.

A lot of poohaa and namecalling for a game you could easily import if needed.

Perhaps this is a marketing strategy by Koei Tecmo ??? They intentionally "censored the release in da West" to make the subject more controversy --> more people talk about/more news report about it --> more popular the game will be!
Just think about it, Since the news of DOAX3 getting unreleased, it's getting more mainstream than ever! This is actually a great thing tbh. Since with enough demand, im sure the game will eventually release in the West :). And even if it's not. The franchise just got a lil boost in popularity for FREE :D!
Anyways, i do hope they'll localized. The PlayStation need this GAME!