By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo 5 : "Industry sources support our belief that Halo 5 digital sales were much closer to half of units than the 20-25% GameStop is suggesting."

starcraft said:

"This is all speculation by an analyst with 'sources.'"

'Instead, you should all believe Gamestop with 'sources.'"

Er...ok

Gamestop sells digital you know and they talked in a financial call for investidors... not PR to use.

The analyst source is MS PR spin to us.

Take what you want from that.

Around the Network
Naufraguito said:

I think anything above 40% or below 30% is very unlikely. On one side we all know how speculative are de assumptions of the analysts, but on the other side we all know that gamestop (and any other phisical retailer) have interest in minimize the importance of the digital sales.

I think also that xbox owners are slightly more inclined to digital than others, specially on the US market (where Halo franchise is more important). I'll bet for a 34-40%.

That is a really bold claim.

Because from 3rd looks like PS users buys more digital than Xbox users but you need to account for the lower user base too but without numbers it is impossible to math the ratio.

Why are people comparing the biggest Halo in history and all other games that had at least three weeks in the market to one that only had five days and released before Black Friday?

SWORDF1SH said:

Ok let's look at this source if it's real.

Let's say digital attach rate is 45% (Almost half). We know that Halo 5 sold 930k fw with bundles and since the Halo bundle had preorders and was by far the best selling console in October, I'm going to say that the bundles accounted for 200k of the 300k consoles sold in October, so that's 200k fw digital sales through LE console sales .

So 930k - 200k = 730k.
45% of 730k = 330
330 - 200 = 130
930 + 130 = 1.06M

So Halo 5 fw US numbers are around 1.06M

I think that your calculations are wrong.

With your parameters, you take 45% of physical sold to obtain the digital part whereas it would be 45% of the total sold.

If physical = 730k and that represents 55% of total sales, then

730 * 100 / 55 =  1327k total sales

Thus 597k digital (45% of 1327k)

SWORDF1SH said:
Naufraguito said:

Why are you subtracting the 200k two times??

At the end Halo 5 is selling less with digital, than without digital.

Yeah like Eikichi said, The first one is to take the digital sales away from the 930k with bundles Halo 5 fw sales to get the retail number.

From that I then extact the the 45% from the retail number to get the total digital numbers. I then subtracted (the second subtraction) the digital copies included in the bundles from the total digital sales. I then added the difference to the reported 930k with bundles to come up with total amount, retail + digital.

But these maths are only right if we assume that:

- When the analysts and Gamestop talk about 25 or 45% of the units sold, are talking about the physical units sold, and not the total units sold. If they are talking about the total units sold, then physical (730k) is the 55-75% and digital is the 45-25% remainng.

- They don't separate the bundles when they talk about the percentage of digital.

Tim and The Princes...

Around the Network
Naufraguito said:
SWORDF1SH said:
Naufraguito said:

Why are you subtracting the 200k two times??

At the end Halo 5 is selling less with digital, than without digital.

Yeah like Eikichi said, The first one is to take the digital sales away from the 930k with bundles Halo 5 fw sales to get the retail number.

From that I then extact the the 45% from the retail number to get the total digital numbers. I then subtracted (the second subtraction) the digital copies included in the bundles from the total digital sales. I then added the difference to the reported 930k with bundles to come up with total amount, retail + digital.

But these maths are only right if we assume that:

- When the analysts and Gamestop talk about 25 or 45% of the units sold, are talking about the physical units sold, and not the total units sold. If they are talking about the total units sold, then physical (730k) is the 55-75% and digital is the 45-25% remainng.

- They don't separate the bundles when they talk about the percentage of digital.

We know that 930k Halo have been sold, with the bundles, but bundles are digital, so Swordfish removes the bundles in order to have an estimate of the physical part and thus obtain the total sale physical and digital.

xd is like chatting with a wall

It didn't sell well, accept it and move on.

Random_Matt said:
It didn't sell well, accept it and move on.

Seriously. Move on guys.

I just wanna post this really quick because i think its getting overlooked by alot of posters. The more a game sells physically the harder it is for it to sell a higher percent digitally. That is why the avg is 20% a bad selling game will still fall within this range but the absolute of that percent is much lower than the absolute of a much higherselling game even if they are the same percent. Im convinced many of you do not understand how percentages work or are in denial due to a game underperforming.