By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo 5 : "Industry sources support our belief that Halo 5 digital sales were much closer to half of units than the 20-25% GameStop is suggesting."

starcraft said:
bananaking21 said:

this is literally based on speculation.

for those who want to believe halo 5 magically has a 50% digital sales ratio excluding the two LE packages and the Halo 5 bundle, which all come with a digital copy, go ahead and do so. but this is based on some "analyst" and his "sources".

as for the OP. in the same article GAMESTOP says halo 5 digital sales are in line with other releases. and that it under performed at retail. but way to go at adding that. certainly not trying to spin anything.

"This is all speculation by an analyst with 'sources.'"

'Instead, you should all believe Gamestop with 'sources.'"

Er...ok

Glad I am not the only one noticing the goal posts moved in the thread lo

Around the Network
Puppyroach said:

Xbox live marketplace consists of three parts: Retail, Arcade and Indie. This has been the case for as long as I can remember. It's the Xbox live marketplace (of which Minecraft was part) that changed name to Xbox games store in time for the release of X1.

So it is not Xbox Live Arcade or Xbox Live Marketplace... we don't know the previous record for Xbox Game Store.

PS. I read the Minecraft 1 million milestone PR and they says exactly "Xbox Live Arcade"... no mention to Xbox Live Marketplace.

alabtrosMyster said:

Those guys are funny, why would this happen? Destiny or Star-Wars Battlefront would have a chance to sell more digitally than other titles, because you do not play them offline AT ALL... but Halo whatever has an offline campaign and many people wanted this game for its campaign .. and couch coop...

Oh well, people like to hope for things to happen, whatever they are... I like it when stuff I like somehow becomes popular... but not too much because as much as I like validation, I prefer to be hip

And sure that the most beloved franchise of MS will have half of the people not wanting the boxart in their shelves to add to the collection... everybody will start to collect bytes.... odd isn't it?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

ethomaz said:
Puppyroach said:

Xbox live marketplace consists of three parts: Retail, Arcade and Indie. This has been the case for as long as I can remember. It's the Xbox live marketplace (of which Minecraft was part) that changed name to Xbox games store in time for the release of X1.

So it is not Xbox Live Arcade or Xbox Live Marketplace... we don't know the previous record for Xbox Game Store.

PS. I read the Minecraft 1 million milestone PR and they says exactly "Xbox Live Arcade"... no mention to Xbox Live Marketplace.

Man have they cleared you to post on MS threads or are you risking a new ban?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

ethomaz said:
Puppyroach said:

Yeah, that's some good spin for you :). Xbox live marketplace changed name to Xbox game store, so by your definition MS can never claim that a game on Xbox game store outsold a game on Xbox live marketplace because they changed the name for it? Yeah, then you and me are discussing in two separate universes. And that the press release for Minecraft say Xbox live arcade is ofcourse correct, since it is part of the Xbox live marketplace.

Around the Network
Puppyroach said:

Yeah, that's some good spin for you :). Xbox live marketplace changed name to Xbox game store, so by your definition MS can never claim that a game on Xbox game store outsold a game on Xbox live marketplace because they changed the name for it? Yeah, then you and me are discussing in two separate universes. And that the press release for Minecraft say Xbox live arcade is ofcourse correct, since it is part of the Xbox live marketplace.

Yeap :) I'm just thinking like MS... they did spin a lot in the PR so it won't be a surprise they choose wisely the "Xbox Store" instead to use a more abrangent word.

Another take in the spin machine?

And if the best selling is related to revenue and not copies sold... 1st party games give way more revenue to MS than 3rd party games.

PS. 50% digital give over $550m revenue... 20% fits better with MS PR than 50%... maybe 30%? Anything over that already make the $400m revenue low for that digital sales.

This is what happens when MS are muddying the waters. You can come up with pretty much any figure.

Best case scenario.
930k isn't including bundle or not included in digital figures and it has a 45% digital attach rate.
930k = 55%
100% = 1.69M

Worst case. 930k is including bundles and digital copies with the bundles. 150k are part or the digital figures and the digital attach rate is 20%
930k - 150k = 780k
780k = 80%
100% = 975k

Some people will try and push the best case scenario which is improbable. Some will push the worst case which is also unlikely.

It's more than likely something in the middle which my calculation in a previous post is.

So we are probably looking at 1.3M with digital.

There isn't much more to it. You can argue and bend the numbers to what you want or find the middle ground and stick to that because we will probably never get any official figures.

I cant speak for the rest of the world but my friends who own a good gaming rig, Xbox One and PS4 are all digital

kowenicki said:

But in any event it wouldnt increase their share price.  Either game sales are falling or digital is increasing, neither is good for them.

It seems Gamestop and others like them are certain to basically disappear in a few years if they continue to stick their head in the sand. I find it fascinating that they don't seem to try and find a way to benefit from digital sales, they only seem to try and stop them (which is a futile attempt).

SWORDF1SH said:
This is what happens when MS are muddying the waters. You can come up with pretty much any figure.

Best case scenario.
930k isn't including bundle or not included in digital figures and it has a 45% digital attach rate.
930k = 55%
100% = 1.69M

Worst case. 930k is including bundles and digital copies with the bundles. 150k are part or the digital figures and the digital attach rate is 20%
930k - 150k = 780k
780k = 80%
100% = 975k

Some people will try and push the best case scenario which is improbable. Some will push the worst case which is also unlikely.

It's more than likely something in the middle which my calculation in a previous post is.

So we are probably looking at 1.3M with digital.

There isn't much more to it. You can argue and bend the numbers to what you want or find the middle ground and stick to that because we will probably never get any official figures.

For me it's not so much about wishful thinking but believing neither source right now.

It's Xbox Store if we're talking about digital sales. Gamestop has an interest to downplay that. Note that they actually 'believe' not definitely know that digital sales are more in the 20-25% region.

At the same time there's an analyst with the typical industry sources. Expecting a not impossible but very unlikely digital ratio.

Even with strong MP i think it's too early in this gen to see around 50% digital sales.