By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo 5 : "Industry sources support our belief that Halo 5 digital sales were much closer to half of units than the 20-25% GameStop is suggesting."

Lauster said:
Naufraguito said:
SWORDF1SH said:
Naufraguito said:

Why are you subtracting the 200k two times??

At the end Halo 5 is selling less with digital, than without digital.

Yeah like Eikichi said, The first one is to take the digital sales away from the 930k with bundles Halo 5 fw sales to get the retail number.

From that I then extact the the 45% from the retail number to get the total digital numbers. I then subtracted (the second subtraction) the digital copies included in the bundles from the total digital sales. I then added the difference to the reported 930k with bundles to come up with total amount, retail + digital.

But these maths are only right if we assume that:

- When the analysts and Gamestop talk about 25 or 45% of the units sold, are talking about the physical units sold, and not the total units sold. If they are talking about the total units sold, then physical (730k) is the 55-75% and digital is the 45-25% remainng.

- They don't separate the bundles when they talk about the percentage of digital.

We know that 930k Halo have been sold, with the bundles, but bundles are digital, so Swordfish removes the bundles in order to have an estimate of the physical part and thus obtain the total sale physical and digital.

Yeah, I know that bundles are digital, but they can be excluding bundles when talk about the percentage of digital sold, and may be refering to units sold purely on the Xbox marketplace.

For the people saying move on, well taking the numbers of Gamestop, or the analysts numbers, the game sold underwhelming for the franchise. The only question is how much underwhelming it sold.

Tim and The Princes...

Around the Network

Neither Gamestop nor these analysts know, they are only making educated guesses. MS's press releases clearly stated that it was the best selling first week EVER for a digital title in the Xbox store (I know I've said this a thousand times :)) and the previous record was held by Minecraft at 1 million. If they included Minecraft in their statement, it would mean Halo 5 was around 40% digital. We don't know for sure but MS is the best source we have.

Puppyroach said:
Neither Gamestop nor these analysts know, they are only making educated guesses. MS's press releases clearly stated that it was the best selling first week EVER for a digital title in the Xbox store (I know I've said this a thousand times :)) and the previous record was held by Minecraft at 1 million. If they included Minecraft in their statement, it would mean Halo 5 was around 40% digital. We don't know for sure but MS is the best source we have.

XBox Store != Market place

Those guys are funny, why would this happen? Destiny or Star-Wars Battlefront would have a chance to sell more digitally than other titles, because you do not play them offline AT ALL... but Halo whatever has an offline campaign and many people wanted this game for its campaign .. and couch coop...

Oh well, people like to hope for things to happen, whatever they are... I like it when stuff I like somehow becomes popular... but not too much because as much as I like validation, I prefer to be hip

elektranine said:

Lol people need to learn to accept the fact that the halo era is over. The game didn't sell as well as people had hoped and now we're going at ridiculous claims of 50% digital sales. That would be 34.5 million GB worth of downloads just for the digital users, or 3450 times the library of Congress. Something this large would certainly be mentioned by MS.

Who's claimed that it sold as good as they hoped?

Around the Network
2008ProchargedGT said:
Puppyroach said:

XBox Store != Market place

I am pretty sure it is: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-live-marketplace-rebranded-xbox-games-store/1100-6413866/

Puppyroach said:

There is no previous record for Xbox Store shared.

Minecraft was on Xbox Live Arcade, no?

Lauster said:

I think that your calculations are wrong.

With your parameters, you take 45% of physical sold to obtain the digital part whereas it would be 45% of the total sold.

If physical = 730k and that represents 55% of total sales, then

730 * 100 / 55 =  1327k total sales

Thus 597k digital (45% of 1327k)

You're completely right. Lapse of concentration. I will edit it.

Gamestop is a publicly traded company, they can't lie to raise their market value... they may as MS spin and do PR with misleading content, but they can't lie

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

ethomaz said:
Puppyroach said:

There is no previous record for Xbox Store shared.

Minecraft was on Xbox Live Arcade, no?

Xbox live marketplace consists of three parts: Retail, Arcade and Indie. This has been the case for as long as I can remember. It's the Xbox live marketplace (of which Minecraft was part) that changed name to Xbox games store in time for the release of X1.