By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo 5 : "Industry sources support our belief that Halo 5 digital sales were much closer to half of units than the 20-25% GameStop is suggesting."

bananaking21 said:
Snoopy said:

The analyst said "We" as in the company. Also, there are sources stating this was the best-selling digital game ever in the Xbox Store for an opening week. That is better than the average 20-25 percent for sure. Here is the source. https://news.xbox.com/2015/11/04/halo-5-guardians-biggest-halo-launch-in-history/

and again, the MS PR used the Digital version from the Halo Bundle, and two Limited Editions that all included a digital copy. and MS clevery used that as to promote the "best selling digital title in xbox store history".

The writing is on the wall. Halo 5 did decreased A LOT from previous Halo titles in NPD and in the UK. Gamestop says it underperfomed and that digital sales ratio is in line with other games.

the only way to say that halo has a 50% digital sales ratio is to base the conclusion on pure hope and imagination. but for those of us who live in reality, we can see the writing on the wall. 

I dont understand why some people are finding hard to deal with the fact that Halo 5 under performed. From my perspective, that is a good thing for Xbox gamers. Now Microsoft can shift their focus to other (hopefully good) things.

The funny thing is that most of the people that keeps on clinging to the Halo franchise are the ones that critique Nintendo for not letting rest the Mario games.

Sometimes you just have to let go. Or maybe just let it rest for some years.

The Halo 5 situation reminds me the Assassins Creed Syndicate situation. 

Around the Network

You only need to use your brain a little bit to realize that in the ''digital'' era, if a hyped up gaming is coming out which offers best in class MP, its a good chance people are going to get it digitally cause they won't worry about having to trade it in down the line. 50% or whatever the numbers are, I'm sure they are quite high.

I think anything above 40% or below 30% is very unlikely. On one side we all know how speculative are de assumptions of the analysts, but on the other side we all know that gamestop (and any other phisical retailer) have interest in minimize the importance of the digital sales.

I think also that xbox owners are slightly more inclined to digital than others, specially on the US market (where Halo franchise is more important). I'll bet for a 34-40%.

Tim and The Princes...

Ok let's look at this source if it's real.

Let's say digital attach rate is 45% (Almost half). We know that Halo 5 sold 930k fw with bundles and since the Halo bundle had preorders and was by far the best selling console in October, I'm going to say that the bundles accounted for 200k of the 300k consoles sold in October, so that's 200k fw digital sales through LE console sales .

So 930k - 200k = 730k.
55% of total = 730k
45% of total = 600k
730k + 600k = 1.33M

So Halo 5 fw US numbers are around 1.33M

Edit: Formula changed to make it correct

starcraft said:

Leaving aside my natural skepticism of anyone that feels the need to claim they are using logic...

Both parties in this debate have cited sources. We cannot truly understand the validity of these sources.

However, we can identify intent. Gamestop has a fiduciary responsibility to downplay the significance of digital sales at all costs. There is absolutely no logical reason that Microsoft would reveal internal data about digital sales to Gamestop.

For all we know, this investment consortium may have investments in Microsoft, and therefore a reason to talk them up. But even then, analysts can (and should), simply recommend against purchasing a stock if they are hearing bad things about that stock.

So the information available to us is equivalent in its validity (that is, unproveable). However, it is clearly Gamestop's motivations we should be skeptical of

@bolded: we can logically assess them. and no, not both parties have sited sources. the "analyst" said his data is from his "sources". he didnt site them at all. Gamestop sited their sources, which is microsoft. 

Considering Gamestop are partners with microsoft, and work together to sell both hardware and software. its only logical to think they know how know the data. specially when they flat out say that their knowledge came from discussions with microsoft.

so we are making stuff up now to try support our theories? any source what so ever that this person or the company has a stake in microsoft. or that the stake is actually big enough to warrent any sort of insider information? or that microsoft them selfs shared digital numbers with share holders? or that IF somehow that all happened, that he is free to share this data without any NDA contract holding him back?

Oh wait... we dont? but hey, lets all gobble this up as well just to try hold on to that desperate hope that Halo 5 has atleast a 50% digital attatch rate. 

Maybe you have a natural skepticism of people who claim they are using logic is because you yourself arent trying to use it. 

Around the Network
SWORDF1SH said:

Let's say digital attach rate is 45% (Almost half). We know that Halo 5 sold 930k fw with bundles and since the Halo bundle had preorders and was by far the best selling console in October, I'm going to say that the bundles accounted for 200k of the 300k consoles sold in October, so that's 200k fw digital sales through LE console sales .

So 930k - 200k = 730k.
45% of 730k = 330
330 - 200 = 130
930 + 130 = 1.06M

So Halo 5 fw US numbers are around 1.06M

Why are you subtracting the 200k two times??

At the end Halo 5 is selling less with digital, than without digital.

Tim and The Princes...

Naufraguito said:
SWORDF1SH said:

So 930k - 200k = 730k.
45% of 730k = 330
330 - 200 = 130
930 + 130 = 1.06M

So Halo 5 fw US numbers are around 1.06M

The first one is to show how many copies were physical and the second one was just subtracting the bundled digital code. 130k is the supposed number of the "true" digital copies.

Mr Puggsly said:

Well VGChartz claims Bloodborne did 1.5 million. But it apparently passed 2 million a while back with digital.

Going with that, its not crazy to believe Halo 5 could do 700K in digital numbers. But still well below the more successful Halo launches.

Bottom line, its dumb to think Halo 5 just did 1.4 million. We know digital accounts for a lot as well especially for its success with online play.

Bloodborne digital is now way near 500k... that could be record breaking sales in PSN.

VGC numbers are just undertracked.

About Halo 5 I don't rule out ~30% digital but 50%? Just no... 50% digital puts the sales revenue over $500m.

From Nightengale.

Naufraguito said:

Yeah like Eikichi said, The first one is to take the digital sales away from the 930k with bundles Halo 5 fw sales to get the retail number.

From that I then extact the the 45% from the retail number to get the total digital numbers. I then subtracted (the second subtraction) the digital copies included in the bundles from the total digital sales. I then added the difference to the reported 930k with bundles to come up with total amount, retail + digital.

Naufraguito said:

I think anything above 40% or below 30% is very unlikely. On one side we all know how speculative are de assumptions of the analysts, but on the other side we all know that gamestop (and any other phisical retailer) have interest in minimize the importance of the digital sales.

I think also that xbox owners are slightly more inclined to digital than others, specially on the US market (where Halo franchise is more important). I'll bet for a 34-40%.

That's some stacked logic there.

The PS5 Exists.