By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo 5 : "Industry sources support our belief that Halo 5 digital sales were much closer to half of units than the 20-25% GameStop is suggesting."

Mr Puggsly said:
4k1x3r said:

Because what he's questionning is VGC's data. Data we all know is as reliable as a safety cable attached to a broken tree branch.

Based on his response, it sounds like he questions Sony's data.

"VGC shows Bloodborne at 1.5 million as of november. Sony says it sold 2 million as of september. VGC must be right and spot on. no way they could possibly be undertracking it."

OMG.. plz tell me you're joking. I bolded the important part, it's the crucial one. He's being sarcastic because it's a well known fact that VGC is reliable....

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
bananaking21 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I'm confused by your response.

Are you saying VGChartz is wrong about Bloodborne?
Are you saying Sony is lying about Bloodborne doing 2 million with digital numbers?

I'm using the information available to us.

you are using estimates, that have proven to be wrong time and time again, as a fact to try prove your point.

VGC shows Bloodborne at 1.5 million as of november. Sony says it sold 2 million as of september. VGC must be right and spot on. no way they could possibly be undertracking it. 

@Bolded: im honestly questioning how serious you are when you ask questions like that. 

I'm just going with the number Sony claim. They published the game and have the digital sales info. If you say they're lying, well I don't know your sources.

Either way, you're being overly aggressive considering my source is Sony themselves. So chill the fuck out.

im not being aggressive. i am being logical. you are not, as evident by whats bolded. 

starcraft said:
bananaking21 said:

this is literally based on speculation.

for those who want to believe halo 5 magically has a 50% digital sales ratio excluding the two LE packages and the Halo 5 bundle, which all come with a digital copy, go ahead and do so. but this is based on some "analyst" and his "sources".

as for the OP. in the same article GAMESTOP says halo 5 digital sales are in line with other releases. and that it under performed at retail. but way to go at adding that. certainly not trying to spin anything.

"This is all speculation by an analyst with 'sources.'"

'Instead, you should all believe Gamestop with 'sources.'"

Er...ok

Bartel went on to say there is no reason to believe Halo 5's digital sales were higher than what they were modeling, based on conversations with Microsoft. "We are in constant discussions with all publishers and platform-holders and we believe that all major full-game titles launched in this quarter were in line with previously announced digital download levels," he said.

its from the article. but hey, apperantly logical conversation isnt anywhere to be found in this thread. so lets question Gamestop, a retailer whos business is to sell video games, that has conversations with microsoft about sales. to an "analyst with sources". 

I wouldn't be surprised, MS stated it was the best selling digital Xbox game ever.

My question is why are people salty in here when they hear news like this. Its only sales, who cares.

I smell a bit of desperation 😜

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
starcraft said:
bananaking21 said:

this is literally based on speculation.

for those who want to believe halo 5 magically has a 50% digital sales ratio excluding the two LE packages and the Halo 5 bundle, which all come with a digital copy, go ahead and do so. but this is based on some "analyst" and his "sources".

as for the OP. in the same article GAMESTOP says halo 5 digital sales are in line with other releases. and that it under performed at retail. but way to go at adding that. certainly not trying to spin anything.

"This is all speculation by an analyst with 'sources.'"

'Instead, you should all believe Gamestop with 'sources.'"

Er...ok

Bartel went on to say there is no reason to believe Halo 5's digital sales were higher than what they were modeling, based on conversations with Microsoft. "We are in constant discussions with all publishers and platform-holders and we believe that all major full-game titles launched in this quarter were in line with previously announced digital download levels," he said.

its from the article. but hey, apperantly logical conversation isnt anywhere to be found in this thread. so lets question Gamestop, a retailer whos business is to sell video games, that has conversations with microsoft about sales. to an "analyst with sources". 

Leaving aside my natural skepticism of anyone that feels the need to claim they are using logic...

Both parties in this debate have cited sources. We cannot truly understand the validity of these sources.

However, we can identify intent. Gamestop has a fiduciary responsibility to downplay the significance of digital sales at all costs. There is absolutely no logical reason that Microsoft would reveal internal data about digital sales to Gamestop.

For all we know, this investment consortium may have investments in Microsoft, and therefore a reason to talk them up. But even then, analysts can (and should), simply recommend against purchasing a stock if they are hearing bad things about that stock.

So the information available to us is equivalent in its validity (that is, unproveable). However, it is clearly Gamestop's motivations we should be skeptical of

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

4k1x3r said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Based on his response, it sounds like he questions Sony's data.

"VGC shows Bloodborne at 1.5 million as of november. Sony says it sold 2 million as of september. VGC must be right and spot on. no way they could possibly be undertracking it."

OMG.. plz tell me you're joking. I bolded the important part, it's the crucial one. He's being sarcastic because it's a well known fact that VGC is reliable....

Its obvious sarcasm depending how you feel about VGC's reliability.

Even if they are undertracking, maybe its 100K - 200K? Not too shabby.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Azzanation said:
I wouldn't be surprised, MS stated it was the best selling digital Xbox game ever.

My question is why are people (1) salty in here when they hear news like this. Its only sales, who cares.

If you don't care why do you post in this thread? I mean, if someone makes a thread about something I don't care about I won't post in this thread, simple isn't it?

or do you just don't care because Halo 5 underperformed so bad?

Bolded (1): Can you link me those comments with people being salty about it in this thread?

Azzanation said:

My question is why are people salty in here when they hear news like this. Its only sales, who cares.

Well technically MS did not state that. Here´s the original :  
"This resulted in a spike in digital sales of Halo 5: Guardians, leading to it becoming the best-selling digital game ever in the Xbox Store for an opening week"
According to gaf the bolded is what´s important. Appearently the old marketplace was renamed to the store, thus it can be translated to:
"This resulted in a spike in digital sales of Halo 5: Guardians, leading to it becoming the best-selling digital game since we renamed the marketplace for an opening week"

However I´m not gonna search the whole thread over at gaf so feel free to do so yourself 
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1134803

I guess it´s because SOME show an utter lack of logic and reason and come up with the most ridiculous theories just to make others believe the game sold better. Others might be invested or as you say "salty" because they don´t like halo and want it to fail.

Also, this is a sales site. People mainly come here because they are interested in sales..so there you have it.

Yup...RO friggin rocked  

While i'm not saying Halo 5 sold 50% digital, why should anybody believe Gamestop?

Really, growing digital sales are the biggest threat for that company. If they go and tell their investors that they think one or even two of the most important titles sold great digital those investors and stockholders might rethink if they really invested in the right company.

So, unless we're getting numbers i'd prefer believing none of them, but for sure not Gamestop.