By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo 5 : "Industry sources support our belief that Halo 5 digital sales were much closer to half of units than the 20-25% GameStop is suggesting."

iTzCharlie said:
Why the biggest retail store in the world talk about digital? I don't trust Gamestop.

You don't have to trust them, the average rate is given by the big publishers, not them. And 20% already is the ceiling, not the average anyway. So 300k digital copies is the best you're gonna get.

Puggsly: 700k? Hm..yes... At some point, not first week. BB numbers aren't FW either.

Around the Network
Snoopy said:
bananaking21 said:

and again, the MS PR used the Digital version from the Halo Bundle, and two Limited Editions that all included a digital copy. and MS clevery used that as to promote the "best selling digital title in xbox store history".

The writing is on the wall. Halo 5 did decreased A LOT from previous Halo titles in NPD and in the UK. Gamestop says it underperfomed and that digital sales ratio is in line with other games.

the only way to say that halo has a 50% digital sales ratio is to base the conclusion on pure hope and imagination. but for those of us who live in reality, we can see the writing on the wall. 

It isn't that hard to imagine considering the fact that Halo is a multiplayer centric game and again, it out did even COD AW on xbox store. That speaks volume. It could've easily sold very well digitally and more than the average game which is 20-25 percent of overall game sales. The only people who know 100 pecent sure is Microsoft. However, gamestop is still downplaying digital sales as usualy because that is their competition. Their stocks took a huge hit and don't want to make it sound like digital sales are the future (which it is).

so you take the average digital game sales ration from gamespot, and use it in your argument. but you dont use the fact that they said halo 5 performed in that range. even though they are written in the same article and from the exact same source. fantastic hypocrisy right there.

Mr Puggsly said:
bananaking21 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Well VGChartz claims Bloodborne did 1.5 million. But it apparently passed 2 million a while back with digital.

Going with that, its not crazy to believe Halo 5 could do 700K in digital numbers. But still well below the more successful Halo launches.

Bottom line, its dumb to think Halo 5 just did 1.4 million. We know digital accounts for a lot as well especially for its success with online play.

im not sure if you are serious with that, or you have no other way to try support your claim and just got desperate. 

I'm confused by your response.

Are you saying VGChartz is wrong about Bloodborne?
Are you saying Sony is lying about Bloodborne doing 2 million with digital numbers?

I'm using the information available to us.

you are using estimates, that have proven to be wrong time and time again, as a fact to try prove your point.

VGC shows Bloodborne at 1.5 million as of november. Sony says it sold 2 million as of september. VGC must be right and spot on. no way they could possibly be undertracking it. 

@Bolded: im honestly questioning how serious you are when you ask questions like that. 

bananaking21 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Are you saying Sony is lying about Bloodborne doing 2 million with digital numbers?

you are using estimates, that have proven to be wrong time and time again, as a fact to try prove your point.

VGC shows Bloodborne at 1.5 million as of november. Sony says it sold 2 million as of september. VGC must be right and spot on. no way they could possibly be undertracking it. 

@Bolded: im honestly questioning how serious you are when you ask questions like that. 

I'm just going with the number Sony claim. They published the game and have the digital sales info. If you say they're lying, well I don't know your sources.

Either way, you're being overly aggressive considering my source is Sony themselves. So chill the fuck out.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

If it was much bigger than expected wouldn't MS have disclosed the total sales of Halo to calm investor's tits?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
Snoopy said:

It isn't that hard to imagine considering the fact that Halo is a multiplayer centric game and again, it out did even COD AW on xbox store. That speaks volume. It could've easily sold very well digitally and more than the average game which is 20-25 percent of overall game sales. The only people who know 100 pecent sure is Microsoft. However, gamestop is still downplaying digital sales as usualy because that is their competition. Their stocks took a huge hit and don't want to make it sound like digital sales are the future (which it is).

so you take the average digital game sales ration from gamespot, and use it in your argument. but you dont use the fact that they said halo 5 performed in that range. even though they are written in the same article and from the exact same source. fantastic hypocrisy right there.

Gamestop used the 20 to 25 percent because thats the average for a game. Halo 5 is not the average game obviously because it sold more digitally than any other xbox game on opening week. So it makes sense to above the average at least.

Mr Puggsly said:
bananaking21 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I'm just going with the number Sony claim. They published the game and have the digital sales info. If you say they're lying, well I don't know your sources.

Either way, you're being overly aggressive considering my source is Sony themselves. So chill the fuck out.

He's not being aggressive, he's frustrated by the "lack of logic" - let's put it that way - in your argument and snoopy's argument. 

What he said is pretty simple and if you failed to understand what he meant, I have bad news. Because what he's questionning is VGC's data. Data we all know is as reliable as a safety cable attached to a broken tree branch. So having Bloodborne at 1.5M when Sony says 2M impacts, in no way, the 20% digital sales ratio argument. All we can get from that is that VGC is undertracking the game.

Now let's be real, if Halo 5 sold 50% digitally, Microsoft would have released a PR within minutes to showcase that achievement. Instead, if you followed the whole story, they used Software AND Hardware sales to boost the revenue generated by Halo 5, and it barely reached $400M. Even with $300/$400 consoles, microtransactions and maybe even controllers + obviously the sales of the game (retail x digital). 

If that is not enough for you to understand the game underperformed, then I don't know what can.

4k1x3r said:

Because what he's questionning is VGC's data. Data we all know is as reliable as a safety cable attached to a broken tree branch.

Based on his response, it sounds like he questions Sony's data.

"VGC shows Bloodborne at 1.5 million as of november. Sony says it sold 2 million as of september. VGC must be right and spot on. no way they could possibly be undertracking it."

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Snoopy said:
bananaking21 said:

Gamestop used the 20 to 25 percent because thats the average for a game. Halo 5 is not the average game obviously because it sold more digitally than any other xbox game on opening week. So it makes sense to above the average at least.

Do you even understand how percentages work? Do you? It's a serious question.

30% of 1M is 300k.

15% of 2M is 300k.

20% of 2M is 400k. 

Can you spot the argument here? Yeaaa buddy good job, percentages don't mean shit until we know the exact number of games sold. So it might be the best selling game on X1, because no game over 400K which is totally normal. It's still 20%, it's still not 50% of the sales.

And no, Halo 5 is not your average game because that's not how it was phrased formerly. The former sentence was something like "digital sales account for 15/25% on average" which totally different. 

Now I'm gonna log out of this forum, before I get banned.

bananaking21 said:

this is literally based on speculation.

for those who want to believe halo 5 magically has a 50% digital sales ratio excluding the two LE packages and the Halo 5 bundle, which all come with a digital copy, go ahead and do so. but this is based on some "analyst" and his "sources".

as for the OP. in the same article GAMESTOP says halo 5 digital sales are in line with other releases. and that it under performed at retail. but way to go at adding that. certainly not trying to spin anything.

"This is all speculation by an analyst with 'sources.'"

'Instead, you should all believe Gamestop with 'sources.'"

Er...ok

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS