By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nicalis: Wii U is not much more powerful than a PS Vita

Tagged games:

Wow, this thread is in desperate need of some context. This statement was made after he and his dev team tried to get the new Binding of Issac: Afterbirth to run on the Wii U, Vita, and New 3DS. The game apparently could not run well on any of the platforms which is why he made this statement. It was not some random Wii U bashing as some have suggested here. I'm not saying that his comments are necessarily accurate, but I just wanted to let people know the background before they rip this guy.

Around the Network
SJReiter said:
Wow, this thread is in desperate need of some context. This statement was made after he and his dev team tried to get the new Binding of Issac: Afterbirth to run on the Wii U, Vita, and New 3DS. The game apparently could not run well on any of the platforms which is why he made this statement. It was not some random Wii U bashing as some have suggested here. I'm not saying that his comments are necessarily accurate, but I just wanted to let people know the background before they rip this guy.

Still, the fact that the next Binding of Isac won't be on WiiU/Vita/N3DS isn't the problem. A lot of games don't come to those platforms either. The statement "stop lying to yourself" is not something apropiate to say from a PR point of view, it looks childish and angers a future potential userbase.

I mean, imagine if during a thread in this very forum, in an argument someone said "stop lying to yourself, your device is not as powerful as you belive". Would the mods think this is acceptable behaviour? Then you compare it with the owner of a whole studio, and you see what's wrong with it.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Drakrami said:

Then again, why does the actual gameplay video looks nothing like your screenshot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7PhayVRr-4

It's from the Digital Foundry Face-Off: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-need-for-speed-most-wanted-wii-u-face-off

I also posted this in the screenshot thread: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7116648

It's the same scene as my miiverse post from here: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACNUKEgOTpbNA

As the kids would say, slayed.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

SJReiter said:

you know what the Binding of Issac is right? it is not a graphic heavy game whatsoever, so that makes zero sense. it should be able to run on practically anything haha

Around the Network

It depends on what part he is referring to. If he's talking about CPU power he is probably quite right.

Qwark said:
Barozi said:
PS Vita is not even comparable to PS3 or 360 (see Borderlands port, Golden Abyss vs. Uncharted 3, Mercenary vs. Killzone 3).

In that respect neither is Wii U  comparable to PS3, since I have to see a game coming close to Uncharted 3 or TLOU in the graphics departement.

That's because Nintendo isn't focussing on graphics and not because it wouldn't be possible.

The games mentioned are fair comparisons and the winner is clear. There's no doubt that WiiU is more powerful than last gen consoles either. Just not by that much. Still most games run at either 1080p or 60FPS, which is something neither UC3 nor TLOU could achieve. Also while only a few, there are multiplat ports that are definitely comparable.

Games like Mario Kart 8 or Smash Brothers look good on Wii U. PS Vita also has a lot great looking games like Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Killzone: Mercenary or LittleBigPlanet PS Vita. I think it is normal that a home console should be more powerful than a handheld. Wii U is more powerful than PS Vita but not by much imo.

Barozi said:
PS Vita is not even comparable to PS3 or 360 (see Borderlands port, Golden Abyss vs. Uncharted 3, Mercenary vs. Killzone 3).

Your logic doesn't make sense. If you compare PS Vita games with 7th generation games then please do it correctfully. 
Uncharted: Golden Abyss (first Uncharted handheld game) looks better than Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (first Uncharted home console game). Killzone: Mercenary (first Killzone on PS Vita) looks better than Killzone 2 (first Killzone on PS3). And don't forget that the PS Vita games were made from smaller developers (Sony Bend and Guerilla Cambridge) than the PS3 games (Naughty Dog and Guerilla Games). The Borderlands port also wasn't from the main developer (Gearbox Software). I am sure a second Uncharted or Killzone on PS Vita could have looked like Uncharted 2 or Killzone 3 (though Killzone: Mercenary already looks equally to Killzone 3 imo).

episteme said:

If he doesn't want to bring the DLC to Wii U because of bad sales he should simply say it.

NFS: Most Wanted was a competent port on Vita if I'm not mistaken.

The Wii U version looks better, but it is not a fair comparison. 
You are ignoring the fact that you play Need for Speed PS Vita on a little screen and Need for Speed Wii U on a big television screen.