By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Witcher 3 vs Fallout 4 - Gameplaywise

Which game has the better gameplay?

Fallout 4 67 29.39%

The Witcher 3 160 70.18%

Total:227
SvennoJ said:
It's been a while since I just sat somewhere and admired the emergent AI. I never assigned a main building to my settlement, yet after the work day is over they all like to come together in the community area of my hotel. Using the stoves, bar or sit on the couches and at the tables. It's getting quite a lively settlement. Except for one thing, nobody talks unless I talk to them. Then as if they all telepathically agree they all get up one after the other to go to their different houses to sleep or go upstairs in my hotel. Some night dwellers stick around.

Btw one big difference in the game play is, you switch weapons a lot in F4, whatever is most effective, long medium range, close quarters, rapid fire, stealth high damage, melee to save ammo. You can use vats to take your time, aim yourself for better damage at the risk of getting rushed, use a robot to help you, lead your enemy into a group of feral ghouls or vice versa. You have the spells to mix things up a bit in TW3 yet pretty much a sword is a sword and the crossbows don't differentiate a lot. TW3 became sort of a set dance routine, side step, hit, side step, hit, spell, side step, hit etc. F4 is a lot more dynamic. It was fun finding the perfect 'dance routine' for each category of monster, yet it mostly comes down to what spell to insert in the routine.

What do you get from building settlements though? Or is it purely just a sims things.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
It's been a while since I just sat somewhere and admired the emergent AI. I never assigned a main building to my settlement, yet after the work day is over they all like to come together in the community area of my hotel. Using the stoves, bar or sit on the couches and at the tables. It's getting quite a lively settlement. Except for one thing, nobody talks unless I talk to them. Then as if they all telepathically agree they all get up one after the other to go to their different houses to sleep or go upstairs in my hotel. Some night dwellers stick around.

Btw one big difference in the game play is, you switch weapons a lot in F4, whatever is most effective, long medium range, close quarters, rapid fire, stealth high damage, melee to save ammo. You can use vats to take your time, aim yourself for better damage at the risk of getting rushed, use a robot to help you, lead your enemy into a group of feral ghouls or vice versa. You have the spells to mix things up a bit in TW3 yet pretty much a sword is a sword and the crossbows don't differentiate a lot. TW3 became sort of a set dance routine, side step, hit, side step, hit, spell, side step, hit etc. F4 is a lot more dynamic. It was fun finding the perfect 'dance routine' for each category of monster, yet it mostly comes down to what spell to insert in the routine.

For me, Fallout 4 is more; enter building, see enemies, one-shot them all in the head without VATS, get loot, exit building. In TW3, some fights remain quite hard and forces you to adapt and move whereas Fallout 4 is just too easy, even on higher difficulties. I can't remember the last time an enemy killed me in Fallout 4, I think the last time was because my mongrel mut of a dumb shit dog blocked my path when I was dodging a fusion grenade...

Mystro-Sama said:
SvennoJ said:

What do you get from building settlements though? Or is it purely just a sims things.

Mostly a sims thing. You can get extra money after a while by building shops, yet I'm drowing in caps already.
Settlements get attacked sometimes, but the attackers can't actually destroy anything afaik, you can safely ignore it at the cost of some happiness. (Wich at most affects how fast a settlement attracts new people)
You can use settlements to store and craft items. However since you have fast travel it doesn't really matter if you have 1 or 30. I'm building up Sanctuary with the unlimited size glitch and use 2 farms as supply lines and for recruiting people. The other 27 can fend for themselves :)
It's purely a sandbox thing, recycle craft.

@Mummelman I guess I should be glad I'm not that great at fps :) My headshot percentage is dreadfully low and I'm still dying daily. Quick save for the win! Some fights in TW3 were pretty hard, just because I was attacking things way above my level. However there usually was a glitch providing an easy win. The pathing was (is?) kinda bad in TW3. How a flying enemy can get stuck in a circular pattern allowing me to slowly auto target crossbow it to death is beyond me... That was the creature from Oxenfurt forest, lvl 35 quest :/ Most of the high level quests were easily defeatable due to pathing bugs. There were fun fights too, but it was the story telling and exploration that kept me going.
But I admit the shooting isn't the main draw in F4 either. Exploration and finding more copper is. I get more excited when I find a hot plate or a vacuum tube than a legendary bullet sponge :/ The little back stories on the terminals and holo tapes are fun to find as well. At least I can keep looking for rotary phones and broken lamps while listening to a holo tape lol.

Mummelmann said:

For me, Fallout 4 is more; enter building, see enemies, one-shot them all in the head without VATS, get loot, exit building. In TW3, some fights remain quite hard and forces you to adapt and move whereas Fallout 4 is just too easy, even on higher difficulties. I can't remember the last time an enemy killed me in Fallout 4, I think the last time was because my mongrel mut of a dumb shit dog blocked my path when I was dodging a fusion grenade...

Yeah, pretty much my experience as well, since I play the same sneaky "I'll snipe your eyes from 300m" bastard I've been playing since FO1. Just yesterday I've got Gauss rifle for peanuts at KL-O-E's, with some 215 of damage, and my best previous long range sniper rifle was .50 with some 102...I'm not sure should I even use it, given how easy the game is (and I play without power armor on top of it)...

Was it Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines that had skills for guns, so if you haven't invested points in that and you want to use guns your aim would jerk around a lot? IMO, that's how they should've managed transition to FPS-RPG, and it would make both VATS and real-time gun gameplay consistent...no more of this "just cause I hold my breath I can kill you from across the river" nonsense.

I'd say Witcher 3 plays more like Fable 1 and Fallout is basically Elder Scrolls with guns in a dystopian world.

Around the Network
-Ack!- said:
I'd say Witcher 3 plays more like Fable 1 and Fallout is basically Elder Scrolls with guns in a dystopian world.

I hate Fable ._.

Mystro-Sama said:
-Ack!- said:

I hate Fable ._.

I dont think Witcher plays like Fable at all, it has no similaritys to Fable whatsoever.

DakonBlackblade said:
Mystro-Sama said:

I hate Fable ._.

I dont think Witcher plays like Fable at all, it has no similaritys to Fable whatsoever.

Oh, because I sure as hell won't buy it if it.

Mummelmann said:
SvennoJ said:

Exactly, Fallout 4 is about going to random places and killing stuf, not even the loot is too compelling cause you have like 3 variations of each weapon (rifles, shotguns, pistols etc), they can come with mods but it makes no differense cause you cna mode the weaponsyourself anyway, and when you do drop "magic"ones from legendary enemys the power theyre just the standard version with a super minor power (like 15% damage to ghouls), Im using the same shotgun since I was lv 8, I dropped it from a legendary modded it and thats it. All you loot is junk to scrap and be able to mod, so youre hunting for superglue adnd aluminum cans and not even paying atention to the weapons that drop or the armors.

Its a fun game but thats just what it is, the quest structure is super simlpe with no depth to the main story, sidequest are all super shallow and revolve around killing everything in one of the random buildings or gathering an iten in one of them, it never feels liek Im impacting the world, aside from the moments on the main quest where the game throws in your face that you have to decide something. And being completly honest the game has maybe 10 different interior enviroments and Im not sure if it has 10 different enemy types, even if you consider raiders, guners and whatever other human enemy you encounter a different enemy type.

Skill also plays no factor on Fallout 4 as you gona die if youre playing on higher difficultys and run into a legendary some 5-6 lvs above yours while youre lv 10 or bellow, unless you use stimpacks like a maniac while chickening and potshotting your enemy, theres little roon for actual startegy, VATS has very bad chance to hit from long range so you cant realy stay on a safe distance and disable your oponents limbs and on higher difficultys enemys hit you trough a crack in the wall from 100 miles away and they might even headshot you. And once youre higher lv it get super easier to the point that once tou are high lv enought you gona use your power armor forever (Im on that stage since lv 25 or so) and be basicaly immortal, right now (Im lv 49) I just walk towards my enemys, not a care in the world blasting everythign with my shotgun, Ive been trying to chalenge myself by not using stimpacks at all till I clear a buidling, and Im playing on the highest possible difficulty.

Witcher is just better everywhere in my opinion, as subjective as one persons point of view might be I cant understand how anyone can think Fallout (or any Bethesda RPG for that matter) deserves the praize they get, theyre fun but I always tough they leave a lot to be desired when held in comparission to most other western RPGs.

Mystro-Sama said:
DakonBlackblade said:

Oh, because I sure as hell won't buy it if it.

Ye Im not sure how someone made a pararel btween Witcher and Fable, maybe because Witcher is more action oriented, even so it plays nothing like Fable did.

Attacks can wipe out a settlement apparently. I had sent some people to Covenant, let them fend for themselves and now it's at 0 population again. You don't get the defenses there when you take over the settlement. The turrets all around it don't do anything, wouldn't be a Bethesda game without glitches.

The attackers also spawn inside Sanctuary. It still was a great all out battle with all 18 of my settlers there running around in a big group hunting down the super mutants. Too bad most of my defences are pointed outward, mostly useless in an attack.

Sniper tower, no time to get up in there during an attack.
Entrance gate with laser turrets, too bad they spawn behind it already accross the river.
Turrets facing the water, useless.

One comment on Eurogamer sums it up pretty well
At the moment instead of placing turrets around the perimeter and walling the settlement up like a normal person you're better off having all weaponry facing inwards towards your own camp. It's like I'm building a prison where everyone is forced to grow corn under the watchful eye of machine gun turrets.

It's fun to build stuff, too bad the attacks are not much more than an after thought.

Btw how do you get a sniper rifle with 100+ dmg? My best one is 66 atm, a laser rifle. Gun at 55, horrible recoil, can't take most things out in one shot which alerts all the others and it's pretty useless inside anyway. I'm only lvl 26 though, still can't unlock the high level gun and science perks. Plus I spend all my fibre optics etc on turrets. The gameplay is good enough that it kept me going until 4am again, just one more thing :/