By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game Awards 2015 Nominees listed

I don't know how Splatoon isn't nominated for Game of the year. It deserves it more than most of the nominees.

1doesnotsimply

Around the Network

I have to strongly agree with Fallout 4 and Halo 5 having the bset soundtracks. They are freaking awesome.

outlawauron said:
Dravenet7 said:

...... No it isn't.

But it is. Just because games like Splatoon, Mario Kart, and Pokemon are loved by older people doesn't change the target market.

Ok we agree on something.

Why don't you explain with logic, as in it has to based on something factual and not some arbitrary, shallow or baseless statement, how Splatoon is a family game.

Let me give you some examples:

Yoshi's Wooly World and DKTF can be considered a family game because: you can basically the whole game in co-op

Mario Party 10 and SM3DW can be considered a family game because: Up to four people can play a large part or all of the game together.

Splatoon, a mainly online multiplayer game that has so little content for local co-op and only recently got private matches, can be considered a family game because: ...?

Dravenet7 said:
outlawauron said:

But it is. Just because games like Splatoon, Mario Kart, and Pokemon are loved by older people doesn't change the target market.

Why don't you explain with logic, as in it has to based on something factual and not some arbitrary, shallow or baseless statement, how Splatoon is a family game.

Yoshi's Wooly World and DKTF can be considered a family game because: you can basically the whole game in co-op

Mario Party 10 and SM3DW can be considered a family game because: Up to four people can play a large part or all of the game together.

Splatoon, a mainly online multiplayer game that has so little content for local co-op and only recently got private matches, can be considered a family game because: ...?

Family games are not exclusive to "games you can play at the same time as your family" as you seem to outline above.  Hell, the original Mario Bros game wasn't a local co-op game yet it is still considered a family game.

Family games are basically this: games you can play with/in front of your family.  Games that all members of the family can enjoy.  Splatoon fits those two criteria.

Neodegenerate said:
Dravenet7 said:

Family games are not exclusive to "games you can play at the same time as your family" as you seem to outline above.  Hell, the original Mario Bros game wasn't a local co-op game yet it is still considered a family game.

Family games are basically this: games you can play with/in front of your family.  Games that all members of the family can enjoy.  Splatoon fits those two criteria.

Thank you. Calling something a Family game or something aimed at children isn't a criticism (Should be thankful they didn't do the Family/Casual tag as they did last year). Goodness.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Game Of The Year
Bloodborne
coin flip between these two
The Witcher 3

Developer Of The Year
CD Projekt Red

Best Independent Game
Rocket League

Best Mobile/Handheld Game
Fallout Shelter

Best Narrative
The Witcher 3

Best Score/Soundtrack
MGSV: TPP
I have no idea, I really don't pay much attention to soundtracks.

Best Performance
Doug Cockle as Geralt (The Witcher 3)

Games For Change
Undertale

Best Shooter
Splatoon

Best Action/Adventure
MGSV: TPP

Best RPG
Bloodborne
again, coin toss
The Witcher 3

Best Fighting Game
Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-

Best Family Game
Super Mario Maker

Best Sports
Rocket League

Best Multiplayer
Rocket League

Best Art Direction
Bloodborne

Esports Game Of The YearBest Fan CreationTrending GamerEsports Team Of The Yearsports Player Of The YearThese categories receive a big bag of 'I don't give a shit'.

Most Anticipated Game

Horizon Zero Dawn

Neodegenerate said:
Dravenet7 said:

I use an example I had previously: By this logic Wind Waker is a family game. Of course anyone can play this game. of course anyone can enjoy the game. However it is not a family game. There are several factors as to why the original Mario Bros game can be considered a family game. However, none of that would really apply today by today's standards.

The Legend of Zelda OOT is considered one of the best games of all time. If it had been released today, would it still be considered that? No. Because the standards this generation are different from 2+.

NSMBU would not be considered as a family game by standard in this generation unless it had multiplayer. There is a reason a game like Ori and the Blind Forest could not be considered a family game even if the content was catered an audience that encompassed all ages. the factors you present simply and what your reference are nowhere near good enough to gave a valid reason why Splatoon is a family game, when then basis of the game, is as a competitive onliine multiplayer shooter.

I'm rather surprised SMM is in the game of the year list because it is going to get slaughtered by the competition, that is a really tough roster to go up against.

3 PS4 exclusives for the most anticipated is interesting since Zelda U is missing and Quantum Break has very little hype at this point.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Dravenet7 said:
Neodegenerate said:

I use an example I had previously: By this logic Wind Waker is a family game. Of course anyone can play this game. of course anyone can enjoy the game. However it is not a family game. There are several factors as to why the original Mario Bros game can be considered a family game. However, none of that would really apply today by today's standards.

The Legend of Zelda OOT is considered one of the best games of all time. If it had been released today, would it still be considered that? No. Because the standards this generation are different from 2+.

NSMBU would not be considered as a family game by standard in this generation unless it had multiplayer. There is a reason a game like Ori and the Blind Forest could not be considered a family game even if the content was catered an audience that encompassed all ages. the factors you present simply and what your reference are nowhere near good enough to gave a valid reason why Splatoon is a family game, when then basis of the game, is as a competitive onliine multiplayer shooter.

So basically what you are saying is that a family game cannot be a competitive online multiplayer shooter.  You have no substance or proof for that though.  A game can exist in two categories at once.

Mario Tennis can be a sports game and a family game.

Mass Effect can be an RPG and a TPS game for mature players.

You are putting games into individual segments that they don't belong in.

Can (or should, that can work here as well for the point) Splatoon be played by a 10 year old who wants to paint walls?  Yes.  Can Splatoon be played by a 33 year old who wants to be rank 1?  Yes.  Those elements make it a family game.

Can (again, or should) Mass Effect be played by someone who enjoys space RPGs and random sexual encounters?  Yes.  Should that person be a 10 year old?  Let's leave that to the parent's discretion.  Those elements make it not a family game.

outlawauron said:
Neodegenerate said:

Thank you. Calling something a Family game or something aimed at children isn't a criticism (Should be thankful they didn't do the Family/Casual tag as they did last year). Goodness.

This is implying that I took it as criticism of the game because it was marked as a family game. That's not true in the slightest. Its inaccurate categorization. I also never implied was not aimed at children. My last response to you was the opposite. A game catered to children =/= a family game. You got agitated for no reason.