By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game Awards 2015 Nominees listed

In what universe is TLG or QB more anticipated than Zelda? And how can SWB be nomitated when it's not even out yet?

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network
Neodegenerate said:
Dravenet7 said:

I use an example I had previously: By this logic Wind Waker is a family game. Of course anyone can play this game. of course anyone can enjoy the game. However it is not a family game. There are several factors as to why the original Mario Bros game can be considered a family game. However, none of that would really apply today by today's standards.

The Legend of Zelda OOT is considered one of the best games of all time. If it had been released today, would it still be considered that? No. Because the standards this generation are different from 2+.

NSMBU would not be considered as a family game by standard in this generation unless it had multiplayer. There is a reason a game like Ori and the Blind Forest could not be considered a family game even if the content was catered an audience that encompassed all ages. the factors you present simply and what your reference are nowhere near good enough to gave a valid reason why Splatoon is a family game, when then basis of the game, is as a competitive onliine multiplayer shooter.

So basically what you are saying is that a family game cannot be a competitive online multiplayer shooter.  You have no substance or proof for that though.  A game can exist in two categories at once.

Mario Tennis can be a sports game and a family game.

Mass Effect can be an RPG and a TPS game for mature players.

You are putting games into individual segments that they don't belong in.

Can (or should, that can work here as well for the point) Splatoon be played by a 10 year old who wants to paint walls?  Yes.  Can Splatoon be played by a 33 year old who wants to be rank 1?  Yes.  Those elements make it a family game.

Can (again, or should) Mass Effect be played by someone who enjoys space RPGs and random sexual encounters?  Yes.  Should that person be a 10 year old?  Let's leave that to the parent's discretion.  Those elements make it not a family game.

What I am saying, specifically not basically, is that a game that's major focus that of competitive online multiplayer shooter  with little content to engage multiple people at once (multiplayer) cannot be a family game. If a game restricts an element that is accesible to function soley as a family game, it is not a family game. 

Yes Mario tennis can be a sports game that is a family game because it is a multiplayer game accessible  to all ages. If the game had local multiplaer elements that was somehow as restrictive as Splatoon's, it wouldn't be a family friendly game.

Yes Mass Effect can be an RPG and a TPS game because it has highly accessible features that makes it both of those things. If the game were turnbased and you could only aim and not move around, and only do so in your turn, then it wouldn't be considered a TPS because it doesn't function at the standard of a TPS.

Never once did I put games into any individual segments. I did not all DKTF simply a single player game because it caters to multiplayer functionally to the point it can engage anyone, including family members. Which is why I said in my example it could be considered a multiplayer game

The elements you mention of Splatoon make it rated E for everyone, not a family game.

I don't even know how you came up with that last Mass Effect example. I'm not going to touch that example beyond this.

I'm not surprised Xenoblade Chronicles X didn't make the nomination for best RPG. It comes out too late and frankly, the competition this year among RPGs was too stiff. Pillars of Eternity will probably be the only RPG that will be arguably worse than XCX, methinks.

Undertale should have gotten nominated for game of the year though. It definitely deserves it. I'm usually one to think that indies are completely overrated, and never understood the adoration of games like Bastion, Fez, Journey, Braid, and The Binding of Isaac, and it was really Undertale that made me realize how overrated most indie games are.

I thought no Zelda in most anticipated was weird. But now that ppl mentioned it, we LITTERALY have seen NOTHING of this game for THE ENTIRE YEAR! Last time we saw footage was at last year's game awards and nothing since, not even at E3. (And no,I don't count that 4sec footage showed after TPHD reveal to be new footage).

As for trending gamer, I REALLY hope totalbiscuit wins and I strongly sugjest ppl to vote for him. He more than deserves it and he is living thru really tough moments right now with cancer.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

Dravenet7 said:
Neodegenerate said:

So basically what you are saying is that a family game cannot be a competitive online multiplayer shooter.  You have no substance or proof for that though.  A game can exist in two categories at once.

Mario Tennis can be a sports game and a family game.

Mass Effect can be an RPG and a TPS game for mature players.

You are putting games into individual segments that they don't belong in.

Can (or should, that can work here as well for the point) Splatoon be played by a 10 year old who wants to paint walls?  Yes.  Can Splatoon be played by a 33 year old who wants to be rank 1?  Yes.  Those elements make it a family game.

Can (again, or should) Mass Effect be played by someone who enjoys space RPGs and random sexual encounters?  Yes.  Should that person be a 10 year old?  Let's leave that to the parent's discretion.  Those elements make it not a family game.

What I am saying, specifically not basically, is that a game that's major focus that of competitive online multiplayer shooter  with little content to engage multiple people at once (multiplayer) cannot be a family game. If a game restricts an element that is accesible to function soley as a family game, it is not a family game. 

Yes Mario tennis can be a sports game that is a family game because it is a multiplayer game accessible  to all ages. If the game had local multiplaer elements that was somehow as restrictive as Splatoon's, it wouldn't be a family friendly game.

Yes Mass Effect can be an RPG and a TPS game because it has highly accessible features that makes it both of those things. If the game were turnbased and you could only aim and not move around, and only do so in your turn, then it wouldn't be considered a TPS because it doesn't function at the standard of a TPS.

Never once did I put games into any individual segments. I did not all DKTF simply a single player game because it caters to multiplayer functionally to the point it can engage anyone, including family members. Which is why I said in my example it could be considered a multiplayer game

The elements you mention of Splatoon make it rated E for everyone, not a family game.

I don't even know how you came up with that last Mass Effect example. I'm not going to touch that example beyond this.

Difference here is in our opinions of what we call family games.  You are essentially saying that for a game to be family it must be multiplayer.  I am saying that for a game to be family it must have the ability to appeal to all age groups and thus be capable of appealing to an entire family.

My Mass Effect example was used to highlight the idea that content, and not mulitplayer, is what helps to classify a game as family.

Around the Network
t3mporary_126 said:

Linkle: http://thegameawards.com/nominees/

Esports Game Of The Year
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare <-----
CS: GO
Dota 2
Hearthstone
LoL

So even games hated by the community can get nominated? Lmao.

What is the purpose of most anticipated game award?

''Congratulations on your award! We haven't played it but we want to, even if we don't know if it will be a disappointment or not!''

Neodegenerate said:
Dravenet7 said:

Difference here is in our opinions of what we call family games.  You are essentially saying that for a game to be family it must be multiplayer.  I am saying that for a game to be family it must have the ability to appeal to all age groups and thus be capable of appealing to an entire family.

My Mass Effect example was used to highlight the idea that content, and not mulitplayer, is what helps to classify a game as family.

True. I did essentially say this, but that was in context of Splatoon and the games thus far mentioned based on their fucntionality. I also did say  If a game restricts an element that is accesible to function soley as a family game, it is not a family game.   Otherwise, I would have also argued Super Mario Maker is not a family game. SMM can be considered a family game solely for the reason that you can create a stage and give to someone else locally to play, making it quite easy to engage a small or large amount of people at once. This makes it a family game. The content in Splatoon that would make it family friendly is restrictive. Is the same vein I bring up a game like A Link Between Worlds is acessible to all ages, but caters solely to a single person, whereas Triforce Heroes is caters to local multiplayer and can be considered a family game. Same with games like Windwaker as opposed to Four Swords Adventures.

Isn't it weird for anyone else that SW Battlefront is nominate despite not having ben released yet? Is that allowed?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

hiccupthehuman said:

What is the purpose of most anticipated game award?

''Congratulations on your award! We haven't played it but we want to, even if we don't know if it will be a disappointment or not!''

It's the game with the most hyped behind it, it's a simple concept to grasp.

Granted, some games are missing like ME and Zelda but we don't know enough about those two and some others left out.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian