By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD: Halo 5 Sold Less than 1M in October

Mandalore76 said:
OnlyForDisplay said:

What happened? Did Halo really hit franchise fatigue? Was a feature removed? Or is this just an uncommon anomaly?

Split-screen co-op was removed.

Oh! Thanks Mandalore-San! Much appreciated!

Due to such a key feature in Halo, I understand then. Splitscreen has been a bigger factor than most people give it credit in the series. To take out such a feature could be the equivlanet of removing the pick 10 system from Call of Duty games.

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

Around the Network
OnlyForDisplay said:
Mandalore76 said:
OnlyForDisplay said:

What happened? Did Halo really hit franchise fatigue? Was a feature removed? Or is this just an uncommon anomaly?

Due to such a key feature in Halo, I understand then. Splitscreen has been a bigger factor than most people give it credit in the series. To take out such a feature could be the equivlanet of removing the pick 10 system from Call of Duty games.

What is the pick ten system in CoD?

LudicrousSpeed said:
SWORDF1SH said:

Apparently the 930k includes bundles. 

I know it does. 

Digital would easily push it over 1 million. Disappointing for some? Maybe. But better than a million.

The shit slinging in the thread is terrible. I wonder why we dont have a 100+ post thread about how the Nathan Drake Collection flopped?

The collection sold over 300k would put it around a third of Halo 5 sales.  Considering its a collection of old games vs Microsofts biggest exclusive it's quite the achievement.  And the ratio for the rest of the world will be more in its favour of the collection.  

And yes it sold over a million in October in the us. But not at retail.  By halos standards that's a shocking drop.  most people aren't shit slinging, they're just amazed and shocked at the facts. 

d21lewis said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

But only Sony fans made noise about the splitscreen?

In all seriousness that's crazy, they have to do it next game.

C'mon, man.  Didn't you see the thread? A guy made a thread saying most of the people complaining about split screen were Sony fans. A ton of Xbox and Halo fans (including me) stepped up to express our disappointment about the removal of the feature. 

*apparently I typed this reply before seeing the "in all seriousness" part. My bad. I'm posting this comment, anyway!*

Stick to your guns, you will go far my friend!

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

JRPGfan said:
Kuksenkov said:
Ooooh gurl... I read "950k including bundles" and I thought it was good number for less than two weeks on sale.

But after seeing the comparisons with previews entries... Damn. Master Chief Collection probably influenced a lot of people in not buying the game so early.

Just for perspective sakes, Mario Kart 8 sold 1.2 millions in a weekend... Yup. Halo did bad. But they'll recover with the holidays around the corner.

I dont know man... CoD is a monster, and SW BF is going to be massive. I feel like people will be asking themselves if they want to buy 3 shooters so close together, and most will think "nope". I dont think the holidays will save it, make it recover, its sales will be much lower than other halos.

Lol! I saw SW BF and thought " Single White Black Female"?  Took me a second to realize what you were referring to.

Around the Network

Just so I understand correctly, we are comparing just Oct numbers right which means Halo was out 4 days. Is this graft representative of how much a game sold on release or within a month. Also if its within a month, How many days has each of those Halo games was available for purchase.

On another point without knowing how many digital sales were done between any of the games on the list, its hard to say how well the game sold at retail since digital does make a huge impact. Currently this data seems very incomplete and prone to your knee jerk reaction that I am seeing within this thread.

I can read French, and it says that those are only pyhsical copies (digital now accounts for 20% of sales, and considering the Halo bundle had a digital copy this could be more). It also says that it only includes Halo 5's first week sales compared to THREE week sales for Halo 2, Halo Reach and Halo 4, and 2 weeks for Halo 3. So it's not that big of a flop considering these...

Sharpryno said:
So when Halo 5 has 4+ million sold by the end of the year will it still be considered to have "terrible sales"?

The prediction thread said 8.3 million.  

I said 5 million was being optomistic.

Some said it would take Halo 4 and match surpass Halo 3's attach ratio.  

So whether or not you think its a flop depends on how realistic your predictions were.

OnlyForDisplay said:
Mandalore76 said:
OnlyForDisplay said:

You're very welcome.  I agree.  Split-screen co-op is what I have enjoyed most about the franchise.  Just this past Friday, I finished the original Halo campaign on the Master Cheif Collection with the same exact friend (only now with his current fiance as well) that I beat it with on my first XBox a decade ago.  One of the things we remember most about Halo 3 is the ending where I was driving the Warthog at the end to reach the frigate and my friend fell off the back.  It was hysterical watching me and the warthog disappearing off into the horizon on my friends screen while the panels were breaking up around him as I pressed on alone to reach the frigate and escape.  (He got me back for that though.  At the end of Left 4 Dead, he and I were running to the evac helicopter and as I was running up the ramp to the platform I got pulled off by a Smoker's long tongue to my doom while my friend successfully boarded the heli and escaped!)

hiccupthehuman said:

I can read French, and it says that those are only pyhsical copies (digital now accounts for 20% of sales, and considering the Halo bundle had a digital copy this could be more). It also says that it only includes Halo 5's first week sales compared to THREE week sales for Halo 2, Halo Reach and Halo 4, and 2 weeks for Halo 3. So it's not that big of a flop considering these...

So based off what you just said, exactly what is this big deal.  You have 4 days for Halo 5 compare to 2 to 3 weeks for the others.  Also I would consider install base to matter in this as well.  Either way seems a tad early to proclaim dealth or huge fall in the franchise just yet.